best everyday sports car? | FerrariChat

best everyday sports car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scycle2020, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    just spent some time driving my friends m3coupe.... very comfortable, very quick, fun to drive , good handling, great ride, well built, smooth on the hightway with good refinement, the seats were great and it has a 8k red line....it seems the be the best everyday commuter-sports car... i recently drove a new 911coupe... also quick but not as good seats... the handling ws perhaps slightly better inthe 911 but the ride was much rougher and the structural intregity was better in the m3... the m3 has a real trunk with fold down seats!..the m3 is 25k cheaper also...i was wonder, what you guys think and any other ideas as fro the perfect everyday driver sports-sporty car? money is a consideration of course

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    It's very hard to beat the E46 M3 Coupe for price/usability/performance. Near-911 performance, real back seats, around $50k, good warranty and reliability, looks pretty sweet, too. That's my vote.

Gary

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You can't beat the NSX (unless you need 4 seats)

you can get a good 93-94 for $35k or 97 for $45-$55k

Nothing drives better for that kind of money, and the car has a nice size trunk.

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Had a 2002 M3 and while yes it is fast and comfortable it did not give me that sport car feeling, Especially that annoying exhaust. Traded for a Maserati Spyder threw on a Tubi and now feel like a Formula one driver every time I go for a ride. And car is great as an every day driver

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    that a good point mark, nsxs are very fun to drive and reliable...used ones can be had relatively cheaply....i almost bought one several times it the past....the draw backs are it only has 2 seats and a car like the m3 has a lot of cargo space with the rear seats folded down...its funny, some of the f car snobs that i know always poo-poo the nsx as a ferrari want to be but it really is a well made, everyday exotic

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point,some people do change the exhuast on the m3, although i didnt find it that bad..it certainly doesnt compair to a maser with a tubi!!! lets be fair to the poor bmw

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Went thru two different After Market exhaust and still did not like. But I think I will have to put the next Generation M3 with it's V8 on my short list of next cars

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

9. Oneday

Oneday Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Colorado
    What about the new Audi S4? Maybe not as sporting as the M3 and certainly not the Porsche, but it has plenty of grunt, acceptable handling and AWD which is a significant advantage over the M if you live where the snow flies.

My personal vote - Porsche C4S w/ the upgraded exhaust package

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

used C5 vette? Unless you want a trunk....

11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    if you want to pay a bit more, i'm sure you cant go wrong with an SL500

12. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Porsche Turbo, of course. There's no way you can get so much speed and sport with so much utility!

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Depends how much you want to spend really:

I would say it goes:
    <100k
    NSX

>100k
    PTurbo

Make sure you get a NA2 NSX (ie 97+). The cars are respectably fast (60 in 4.6-7 from the coupe and 4.9-5.0 from the targa) and the engine goes over a 100k miles before needing anything major (belts). Parts are reasonable save the clutch, which also lasts a lonnnng time btw, but can be had at discount easliy. (15-25% off, ask and I will find the link). There are owners who track there cars AND use them as daily-drivers that have well over 150k miles on them, without the need of any sort of rebuild or any hint of burning oil. One guy has 240k miles on his, and still runs well.

The cars are very comfy. They work well in most weather, I drove mine rain hail terrential (sp?) downpoors and all, with excelent feedback and manners. The stock sound is very pleasent, if a bit quiet for my tastes. It has been described by some as the best non ferrari sound of a modern sports car. I tend to agree, as the rest dont compare...vipers and vettes are 'trucky' and the other 4 bangers are 'whiney'.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    550 maranello. no question.

--Dan

15. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Assuming Sports car = 2 seaters, I would strongly push for '99 to '01 Corvette Coupe. Plenty of space in the back to accomodate 2 sets of golf clubs plus plenty of space if you decide to go shopping afterward!

It's fun car to drive (especially 6 speed), easy to keep it clean, low cost maintenance, and you are most likely to get a service by Chevy dealers near you.

NSX is also worry-free car, and easy to drive for daily, but bit expensive compared w/ Vette. I do like better the look of NSX before they changed to the latest one. Honda need to do something to make it look more original (I don't know how!)

16. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    550 Maranello takes the prize.

17. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I vote for the NSX of course. I would say you do not need to get a 97+ though. They are all great cars. 97 up is certainly more desireable, but 91-94 is easier to mod and make more power. (obd1 vs 2 of 97+). Just depends what you want to do.

If I did need 4 seats though, I would get a used M3.

18. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
  19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    NSX | Everyday = Reliabile.

20. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Daily driver = E46 M3. Its an all around a great car. Only item that could be better is the exhaust note. I may consider an SMG next go around.

21. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    An H2 with the performance of a 360, but have yet to see that happen and would hate to think of trying to stop that beast or the fuel consumption.

Would an MB E55 be considered sports? Extra seats and doors make it more practical. Power can blow past M3s and 911's apart from Dinan altered and Turbo versions. Winter in a 550? I'd hope no one would expose a work of art to salt lined roads. The E, I'd go with that...

Tough I never driven one, I belive EVO said that the Gallardo is the best daily sportscar. Have to admit, stat wise and looks wise would be really hard to beat.

RocketBoy

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    c5 are great . i used to have one....not as much trunk space as the smw and the bmw has much better quality build... the vette has cheap flimsy plastic everywhere, but still a great car for the money...the used 500sl is not a sports car but a lux crusier

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    omar, why are coupes so much faster than the targa nsx?..4.9 is what i read in an old car anddriver for the zanardi coupe....the p2tourbo is a great everyday car... but its exhaust note is very wimpy.. the regular 911sounds better.....the turbo drop in value quickly... ian 01 or 02 for 80k would be a very fast everyday car... but they are almost too smooth and quiet!!!

24. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #24 writerguy, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I instruct at DE events and get to drive a lot of pretty nice cars on the track- if only briefly and carefully. The E46 is one heck of a nice ride and I drove a student's S4 this Spring that I did not want to give back. It was that nice.

As our Porsche is a track only car (it's a 993) we are thinking of getting a sports car to replace an aging 528i and have been considering the e46, the s4, and the to be introduced SLK as well as the Boxster. We don't want something that we'll modify or use on the track or that is prohibitively expensive ($50K or thereabouts is really the most we want to spend). I'm a little averse to the Boxster as I don't like its looks (but I love the way it drives) and used 996s are getting awfully cheap now so we may look at those too. I would also consider an M3 roadster (with the later 315hp engine) but those are kind of hard to find.