Battery tie-down on the M-series. | FerrariChat

Battery tie-down on the M-series.

Discussion in '206/246' started by DinoLasse, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #1 DinoLasse, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The battery was not tied down in my M-series, but I received a hold-down frame and one threaded rod with a hook (see picture 1) with the car. Looking at the battery frame in the car, I can see the leftover from a broken welded rod at the rear of the battery, but a welded hook (to catch the threaded rod) on the front side of the battery (picture 2).

How was it originally done? Welded rod in back, hook in front? Or welded rods both front and back? (I believe that's how it was in the L-series). Or hooks both front and back?

Also, any ideas how I could fix it without having to bring the car to a shop for welding?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #2 GermanDino, Feb 11, 2017
  3. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Oh, now I get it (I think!). I assume that the front rod can move around on that welded-on loop. That would make sense.
    Looks like I will have to have some welding done after all. Thank you Matthias!
    Lars

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #4 pshoejberg, Feb 11, 2017
  5. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks, Peter. Good to know.
    Seems like a curious design. Allowing the front rod to pivot would have made the battery easier to install and allowed for self-alignment when you tighten it down. Maybe that was the original design but the loop kept braking off and the factory just decided to weld the whole thing? We will never know, I guess. But I will have it welded just like you show.

And yes, I will need to add a welded rod in the back. Was there no loop in the back? I don't see it on your picture, and there is no trace of one on my car.

Best
    Lars

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    There is no loop on the backside. The rod is just sitting on the cross member and leaning up aginst the battery frame and welded solid in place. The rod itself is a ø6mm cheap iron bar with M6 thread in the end.

Best Peter

7. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks Peter.

Lars

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Does anyone know if the (proper) J-hook can be acquired or does it have to be fabricated?

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I dont think dinoparts or superformance do them, Alberto (swift53) may be able to help or a local fabrication shop. Easy to do in all honesty Ron if you can source the correct steel rod for them.

Tony

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +1
    Any fabricator worth an ounce of his/her anvil should be able whip up stuff like this easy.

swift53, Nuvolari and racerboy9 like this.
  11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I'm having one fabricated. But then I ran into another issue. The repro top retainer bracket I acquired a few years ago does not fit my new battery, but more disturbing is that the location for the fixed and loose vertical rods does not match the bracket. My mechanic found another top bracket (not sure, but possibly from TRutlands) and that doesn't fit either. So it looks like I have to have a new top retainer bracket fabricated especially for my battery...sigh!