Barn Find/Kentucky | FerrariChat

Barn Find/Kentucky

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Gershwin, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. That is awesome.

2. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    a king and his castle...

3. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Oh, God help me, I love it.

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    What city or county?
    How much land?
    I love it.

6. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.

If so, I'm sure it's nothing a good exorcism can't cure!

7. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That place is absolutely beautiful. I couldnt image how much fun it would be to go explore all the land and buildings on that property not to mention all the little nooks and crannies of that house!

8. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Did you buy this place? If so, pleeeese post some pix of the interior.

9. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    Very nice looking home.Where is it and when was the picture taken? Built? History?

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    To say..."they don't build 'em like that anymore" is a huge understatement! Wow that is an awesome place! Restoration costs will be huge, but just imagine trying to build a house like that now days! Please....please....post some more pictures!

11. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #12 Gershwin, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I should've called this thread "time vault" because that properly characterizes it.

Much of the original wallpaper is up.

The basement has not been touched in decades as w/ the attic and the dumb waiter

The paint on the exterior hasn't been touched in 50 years. As you can see interior has held up well, never had HVAC and has never been updated.

It is in Shelby County.

Working on acquisition and then a comprehensive restoration/preservation of residence and grounds.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Incredible!

13. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  14. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #15 wingfeather, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    Wow!!! I would love to have a house like that!!! I hate being poor :(

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That place is incredible! Look at those rugs! Look at that ceiling! It appears that many of the furnishings are "period correct" and probably original to the house! People now days have no idea what goes into a house like that. I could spend days just roaming around in there, soaking up all the details! You may want to start your own website devoted to that house and it's restoration...I'll grab some popcorn.....

That is a special place....can you elaborate on the history a bit?

16. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Are the rifles included? :)

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Mrs SMS, after pouring over these photos, sighed, and looked at me and said, "Well, I still love you..."
    (meaning even though YOU did not find this place for me) :)

We've just spent an hour comparing the old and new photos and performing our own virtual restoration.

Anxious for more stories as things develop!

Thanks again for sharing this piece of history with all of us.

18. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Looks like fun. I am doing a resto for someone in the Highlands right now. Lots of interesting things if you start tearing into walls and floors. Removing load bearing walls with original balloon framing.
    It would be great if the house didn't need anything but paint and topical refinish work.
    What kind of acreage does it sit on? Any interesting history?

19. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Very nice find. I have lived in Shelby County since I was 14 and do not know where this house is. I hope you get it I would love to come by and see it.

20. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Beautiful! I hope it is not in the middle of no where. Please tell us the history as you get it!

Back in Ga in many places, but esp in north central NC there are some flat out mansions but because of the shift in fortune about... say... 1865, they are now in the flat out sticks. Warren County NC was one of the wealthiest places in the South up and until the War of Northern Aggression. You should see the abandoned places there.

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It reminds me of the beginning of the Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit"... Don't worry, it ends well. Seriously though, that place looks awesome, and has held up remarkably well considering the amount of time it has been left alone. As they say "It's a keeper!"
    Enjoy it, and congratulations.
    :)
    BT

22. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #23 Gershwin, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The residence sits on the largest farm in the county (3300 acres) but I'm only looking at a 200 acre piece which is the center piece.

The residence has remained w/ the same family since it was built in 1900. It has never been restored or updated in any way with the exception of steam heat in the 40's. It is still served by a ground spring and has never had central air installed. The house is unlike anything I've everseen in that not only has it remained unchanged in over a hundred years but every room still boasts the original wallpaper. Best part, the foundation is solid and the interior is dry. This lack of updating really makes the project a monumental task; however the original petina and unmolested example makes it truly remarkable.

The family history was intrenched in farming - wholesale dairy to be specific. It is quite a testimony to their success in that field in the early 20th century and the after effects of the depression that changed everything in the 30's.

The idea of the dedicated website mentioned prior is a good idea and I will set something up and add a link.

Someone asked if the guns were included. I can't say just yet, SuperJ and I are still working on the details. However my intention is to preserve all "aspects" of this farm estate INTACT.

More to come:

23. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    17 years in the business and this is my favorite deal.

24. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    I'm sitting here, looking at the pix, with my mouth hanging open.
    That's the kind of find, people like me, dream of, and yet fear of ever finding. It would be a wonderful nightmare. I so envy, and yet, pity you. But, again, God help me, I wish I had your opportunity. Best of luck.