Barn Find Daytona on Ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Barn Find Daytona on Ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rsvmille676, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#26 dm_n_stuff, Jul 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Car is in Los Gatos, TX.

So the pictures are BS? Don't you love a listing like this? Here's a picture from his Ebay ad, but the copy does not state that the car comes with tools. If they are not included, it feels like a bait and switch to me.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    From an estate, the guy that kicked off left someone a nice Daytona to enjoy, all his prized possesions are now broken up and sold off, should have drove it into the ground and left nothing.

That trim around the car needs to go, hard to tell what it is.

Car sat for 5 years at a dealership never sold? Must have been the color.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's probably the jack bag. Daytonas came with separate jack and tool bags.

Maybe NNO can come on here and give us the real history on this car?

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    MSD had improvements with model changes over the years in nearly the same looking red box, but were marked on the top with the model number as such; e.g. MSD 6, MSD 6A, MSD 6AL, etc
    You might be able to narrow it down a little bit if you can read the top marking on the MSD units but I can't read them.

Right, lots of upside but I think Dave was saying that $200k was too little for the Daytona.

Isn't it illegal to sell a car in CA with the emmissions removed?
    Leaving it in Texas might allow the California seller some law suit safety and saves on s&h.

BTW, Google around and you'll find some interesting stuff on why Ferrari of Los Gatos, now Auto Haus Los Gatos lost their dealership and their treatment of customers.

5. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    As I recall, pre-1974 cars are virtually smog exempt in CA, although I do recall having to replace the PVC valve on my '65 Triumph in order for it to "pass" a visual inspection. . .

Gotta love the color, though (!)

6. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Ferrari of Los Gatos is now known as the Silicon Valley Auto Group, not Auto Haus of Los Gatos.

-steve

7. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Wow!! Any more pics or details of that one?

8. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Agree with the comments that this Daytona appears to have more than the alleged mileage. Most daytonas at that time were bought to be driven and the mechanics who serviced them do remember them with high mileage..so that today's mileage of 10,000 most often is really 110,000. I know of one of the last bulit daytona with a much higher S/N than this one was purchased new from Ron Tonkin in December 1974...so on that basis I doubt this one was purchased new in 1978.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Forget about the Daytona. Just another low mileage car in the hands of people who knew good and well what it was worth.....

Now,....let's hear more about that SWB in Belgium. More pictures please!!

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It's not the mileage, it's the age"- Indiana Jones

11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

More please!

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think the car is really in Australia. The prancing horse on the steering wheel is upside down!

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    FLG did not turn into Auto Haus, it became Silicon Valley Auto Group. They did not "LOSE" the franchise either. It was sold.

Now what was it about their treatment of customers? The did operate under two distinct different owners you know.

You obviously don't know dick about the place so maybe you should keep your fantasies to yourself.

14. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Let's see I can remember everything in this thread.

Someone said the spark plug wires are inocorrect. That is a correct statement. Original Daytona wires are Maroon/White (and not the Red/White you purchase today). Two of my Daytonas still have the original wires that work great.

Yes, the Dinoplex is troublesome, but one of my cars still has the original guts in the units and they still work! The others have been gutted and Permatune guts put inside.

Daytonas did not come with a Horse on the back.

The other stuff (no horse in the front reflector, rear side lights, rear reflectors, etc.) are correct for USA Daytonas.

Where is the missing smog equipment (pumps, diverter valves, hoses, etc.)? The wrinkle paint on the engine looks wrong, or it's just a bad picture or my monitor sucks. For those that don't know, Daytonas originally came with a real narly wrinkle paint that we used to call "alligator" because it was so course. 250s, for example, have a much smoother for wrinkle finish.

Most Daytonas came with one large, single tool roll. Around 16889, some cars came with a jack bag and a briefcase tool kit as found in the early Boxer and 365 GT4 2+2. I've never seen that combination in a car this early in the production run.

In CA, it's pre-1976 cars no longer need to pass smog tests.

FYI, it takes all of about 30 seconds to disconnect a Daytona's odometer cable from the Transaxle. So, I wouldn't believe the odometer without inspecting the car. Look at the clutch fingers, the points in the distributor (do the 4 springs still have the original sheath?, heck are they even four springs, and not the more common three in 308s?). Check the choke cable. As it been cut, or is it still original and wound around the end at the front of the carburetors? There's lots of the things one can look at to determine if the mileage is original.

Steve

15. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So is the steering wheel itself :p

16. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    I think the color is Avorio Safari.

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    that is the correct color of the car. it was here in texas. the los gatos part of the equation is in refernece to it being brokered in ca. the car now resides, in it's same state (ie-not being restored) in ca. the owner can chime in if he wants.

18. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    The only "standard" Avorio I show for a Daytona is Avorio Le Tetrarch 2.662.016. is this the same as Avorio Safari?

Of course, with Daytonas, one could custom order any color they wanted still.

Steve