Barn Find Daytona on Ebay | FerrariChat

Barn Find Daytona on Ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rsvmille676, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
  2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

3. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    In the classic barn-find sense, I just never thought that it would have an MSD ignition or modern battery. Especially having only been driven 11k miles. The car still has the original plastic on the door sills yet they upgraded the ignition and battery? w/ 11k miles the car's std ignition should still work just fine, no?

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Many original Dinoplexes were very problematic right from the start. It's not only the mileage, it's the age.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I think there is a major difference between "Barn Find" and carefully stored in a barn or garage.
    I know of a 60's vintage car with 3k miles on it, while still riding on the original tires, the original battery is long gone. Kinda too bad its missing. I think it would be very interesting to get the original battery too. Now thats "original".

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    That car is the real thing as is the Miura next to it in the garage. A friend looked at the collection a few weels ago before they were sold off and drove both cars. He said they were both properly maintained, great running cars that he would have loved to own. His bid was not high enough however.

7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Would you happen to know how much they want for the Miura and the Espada?

Thanks.
    Alberto

8. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I don't know how much the current owner wants but at the time $200k for the Daytona and $350k for the Miura was not going to work.

9. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major

That makes a lot more sense. Not owning one, I would not know some of the "weaker" components of these cars.

Based on what others have said in this thread, the car is going to make one lucky collector even luckier. I hope they drive the heck out of it too.

IMHO, I know this may sound terrible, (because the car truly is original) but I would need to change the color.

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Two quick comments:

1. Any 'previously unknown' car seems to command a premium. I'm betting it's worth ~$275k-$300k and the dealer wants ~$400k for it (no data to support, just my gut).

2. As there is a significant premium for originality, why repaint? If you don't like the color, there are plenty of restored cars to choose from for similar or less money. The car's color isn't stunning but, it's original.

Regards,

Art S.

11. SILVER 72

SILVER 72 Rookie

Oct 9, 2005
    Redlands, CA
    Full Name:
    John J. Wauchope
    I doubt the miles based on the condition of the clutch and brake pedals. They appear worn in the photos. Also the leather around the hand brake and other areas show to much wear for a low mileage car. The engine compartment and ignition wires are wrong. The Daytona ignition wires easily last 50,000 miles. Why no pictures of the drivers door but instead the passager door? The MSDS are fine as is the Interstate battery. (I use Interstates because they don't puke acid.) I would not bid without a lot more photos of the chassis underside and close photos. I have owned Daytona 16547 for 25 years and know this model well.

JW

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I agree, let youself learn to love it. To me its kinda like touching up your Picasso because the existing colors just don't work in your livingroom.

13. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If the addition of an MSD ignition and a battery are disturbing how about

"SOLD NEW BY RON TONKIN FERRARI IN 1978" !

14. flat12

flat12 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006
    #14 flat12, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Boy $200k for the Daytona and $350k for the Miura, assuming they are in good condition, seem to allow plenty of room for upside. My observation is that Daytona's seem to be going for about $225k to $240k and Miura SV's are at $400 to $500 depending on condition.

Pretty safe bet that Los Gatos knows this and has adjusted pricing accordingly.

Alberto

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Barn find ? Where's the rats nests ?

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    That cream color on the Daytona isn't very flattering IMO.

18. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Have you ever opened up the console on a Miura? :)

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    miura has already sold

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you saw the original color ("Nocciola") of my 330 2+2, you wouldn't be saying this. It's enough to make anyone sick.

21. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I'm not really up on my knowledge of Daytonas, but there are quite a few features on that one that i am not familiar with

1.The 2 red reflectors on the trim line
    2.The odd reversing light in the middle
    3.The red side reflectors/indicators whatever they are at rear wings
    4.No Horse on rear, or even old fitting holes
    5.No Horse on the front grille/although i have seen several without.

Maybe these are just the differences between US and UK models. I dont profess to know.

22. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Daytonas didn't come with horsies on the rear or on the grill. If you see them, then they were added post factory. The US cars have side marker lights on the rear flanks and a single backup light between the rear bumpers. The european cars had a pair of backup lights mounted below each rear bumper. I think the 2 red reflectors were also a US thing, but I'm not sure about that.

-steve

23. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I called the seller/broker. The Daytona is not in California. The toolkit is missing and note the smog pump, etc. has been removed. Asking $285.00. Just a knee jerk feeling but it feels like this Daytona spells trouble.

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The color looks very very nice, compared to red, black and yellow. Strong colors seem to kill this design.

25. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Thanks Steve,
    I thought that was probably the case