Bandwagon jumping in the Racing section.. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bandwagon jumping in the Racing section..

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SRT Mike, May 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Don't count Kimi out. I think he will find himself this season but it may be the last few races. Massa has been reborn and is doing great. Hamilton came out of nowhere and has done an exceptional job so far. Alonso will be hard to beat. He is showing his determination. I'm really enjoying this season but I still don't like the points awarded for 1st place. That would change the standings a bit.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You have stated on Ferrarichat that you are not a MS fan. Now you tell us you own the pole breaker suit. Somehow these two statements don't fit together.

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Not really - at age 8, he told Ron Dennis he'd be racing for him one day and driving a McLaren. Throughout the forthcoming years, Dennis nurtured him . . .Lewis won several championships and here it is today . . . Even Frank Williams likened him to MS. (Lewis's dad should be commended for doing such a great job raising Lewis and his brother since Lewis was 2 years old.)

Carol

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can understand it when folks who know F1 only since the MS era don't see the potential in Hamilton. However I fiind it ultimately funny when so called long time F1 followers don't get it. Funny because in a few years they'll be so wrong. :)

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Your right SRT;
    Its so much easier to sit on the fence and watch what unfolds.
    Years down the road you can say " Yeah.. I saw it coming".
    So much safer.

I base my driver feelings not on where they finish in a race but on how they finish/qualify but in comparison to their teamate or others in EQUAL cars.
    Nico's and LH's results in GP2 completely show their abilities.
    If you cant see LH's brilliance then its time to take the shades off.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I don't think most people here doubt Hamilton's potontial, I think that most people here think it is way too early to make such glorified statements about him. I would only judge his true skill when I see him in a mediocre car still doing Schumacheresque driving. I wonder how he will actually perform with the frustration of a secondary car. Its going way too easy for him right now.

For me , at this point, he is nothing more than a Rosberg, Kubica, Vettel, etc, in the best car on the grid. I think any one of them would do as well. Ask me again in December.

7. DinoScuderia

DinoScuderia Karting

Apr 15, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dean
    +1

People who have been following the sport for over 20 years have seen lots of hot shots come and go and the vast majority do not deliver.

It is interesting really because they arrive hungry and change as they get the spoils early on. It is more mental attitude than many people realise and that is where MS and Prost excelled.

Did you pick up on how uncomfortabe LH looked in the press conference? I believe that Monaco's team orders will start affecting him mentally and it will be interesting to see how he rsponds to this.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

You are right, and I wonder how a series of DNF's will affect him mentally.

9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hopefully we will all see the end of the 07 season and what it brings. Some of us may have black feathers sticking out of the corners of our mouths. Who that will be is yet to be determined. But none thought LH could be WDC 2007, and he could be. More importantly all of the front runners will return in 2008 without traction control. Then we will really be able to sort these guys out.

Now if the FIA would let these cars be reconfigured to reduce the distance to the convergence of the turbulence off the back of the cars, the real drivers will move forward.

10. DinoScuderia

DinoScuderia Karting

Apr 15, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Exactly.

I still think that there are some drivers out there driving slower cars that have the potential to be WDC in the right car. In reality most recently you only needed to be faster than your team mate to win WDC. It is all about the car. We all know that MS is the exception to this rule.

I just hope that they make some rule changes to keep the sport alive.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can't wait.

12. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmmm...

Not sure I follow the logic here. If Max Mosley suddenly extended the calendar to 35 races and made the points system 100,80,60,50,40,30,20,10, half the field would eclipse Michael's records in a fairly short time. Would that mean drivers like Rosberg and Sutil would be looked upon in the future as being better than MS just because the numbers are in their favor at the time?

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    It's got nothing to do with sitting on the fence to watch what unfolds to be able to say "I told you so". It has everything to do with laughing at the people who are ready to proclaim driver A with 5 races in F1 EVER and no wins, equal to another driver with countless wins, 7 WDC's, and virtually ever record in F1. Or even to another driver with 3 WDC's, or his teammate with 2WDC's (and two wins, whereas Hamilton has no wins and no WDC's).

You think we have enough data to call MS the next Schumi - OK, that's your opinion. I just highlighted how many of the SAME people were so quick to jump onto the Rosberg bandwagon after a couple of races last year. Some folks want to hang a driver after a couple of bad performances, or call him the next MS after a couple of good ones. I think most of us can get a good laugh at that kind of behaviour.

As for comparing teammates only, if Rosberg is the next MS, I am surprised nobody else picked him up other than Williams. One would think that capitalism would prevail and the money would follow the talent. After all, we don't see Alonso stuck at Renault, do we?

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Its not just a matter of total points. There is so much more to the entire picture of Michael Schumacher's legacy, that I really doubt if the timing will be correct for anyone to beat all of his records.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Can't have it both ways.

16. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    He He He, the power of a mod. Phil is God and in two weeks you will be Andy.

17. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    MS is the first, only, and last MS . I dont equate Nico or LH as they are their own people. You are putting words in my mouth.
    Nico was given a chance and contract to drive for Williams, he took it.
    With your 20/20 hindsight he should have gone to ?
    LH should be leading the WDC if not for team orders. Again with 2 time WDC champ as favored teamate.
    But its safer to see the statistics after the race and judge from there rather than to read between the lines and formulate your own opinion.

18. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The thread was never directed at you personally, but at the bandwagon jumpers as a group. And it was done in jest, partially to make a point, and not to try to 'shame' people into shutting up or anything like that. I definitely have strong opinions on some drivers - I think Kimi is way better than Felipe and I have said that numerous times. I think Alonso is good but maybe not as good as he gets credit for. I think Button is very good, and I think Heidfeld is very good. I've said most of those things for some years.... it wasn't bandwagons I jumped on, but rather an opinion formed after watching a lot of their performances - good and bad.

As for LH, I do not think it can be said he would be leading. In what way? Where did team orders stymie him? Please don't say Monaco - Alonso had him 100% covered in Monaco, and then some.

As for Nico, I am not commenting on where HE decided to go, I am saying that if he was really as good as some give him credit for, he would have had more opportunities opening up for him. I didn't see doors opening from him left and right after last year - did you? In other words, the talent that was ascribed to him (i.e. the next MS, the next Senna, the next big thing) appears *not* to have been an opinion shared by the team principals, right? Otherwise, he surely would have had offers lining up. And I don't buy the "he has a contract" thing, because for a driver who can win, a contract can easily be broken - and cheaply in relation to the financial benefit from a winning driver.

And I don't understand how you don't seem to be getting my point - you seem to think I want to wait until a guy is already a success and then say "yeap, hes really good", whereas you and the other bandwagoners are taking a risk and making those claims ahead of time. But that's not what it is at all... there are plenty of drivers I think are very good that haven't had great performances over the years. But I can always tell you why I think so. On the other hand, there is a small group who latches on to whoever has had a few good races and pumps them up as the greatest driver ever. We already have people wishing Ferrari could swap Kimi for Lewis, or swap both their drivers for both of McLarens. Our very own Schumi had a very tough time 2 years ago, and a tough time at the start of last season. Does a few bad results make for a driver who should be canned? Thats a ridiculous assertion - if that were true, Ferrari would have canned Schumi 2 years ago, right? Likewise, 5 good races from Lewis do not the next "big thing, multi WDC winner" make, no matter how much people clamor to jump onto his bandwagon. Let's see how he does after half a season, before we tighten our grip on his coattails.

The alternative, of course, is to latch onto the boy and proclaim him the next great driver... but a bunch of people did that with Rosberg and now have egg on their faces. They are quick to do it again with Hamilton and dismiss anyone who doesn't agree as too foolish to "get it", but I'm just pointing the repetetive bandwagoning - mostly from the same folks now as were doing it last year!

19. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike; you enjoy the races as you see fit. Safely, securely, without assumptions. Fine.
    As for me I would rather watch paint dry.
    Let me take my risks with LH and Nico.
    And do not ridicule me or others for doing so.

20. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Are those Bandwaggon wheels I hear turning ?

Forgive the lad; 5 races, 5 podiums, no wins. Obviously overrated.

Your kidding ? Being in a good car actually helps ? Thats a Big statement !
    Risky !

Not here. In fact if Ferrari still wants to salvage this season, Sack Massa and put MS back in his true position in the team.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure God is the right term, but it does help one's popularity if you have free T-Shirts etc to hand out...
    :)

PS: Contrary to popular belief the shirts say FerrariChat and not FelipeChat as some expected...:)

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    haha :D

23. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Forgive me, I didn't get the memo.

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    LOL

All you guys who want to fall back on statistics ought to be reminded that, statistically speaking, the greatest driver was Fangio. He won nearly half the GPs he entered and 5 championships in how many? 9 seasons?

Senna was the greatest driver I ever saw. That has nothing to do with the number of wins he had (bearing in mind that unlike Schumacher, he drove with WDCs as teammates) or the number of championships he won, it is his sheer mastery of his car and his superior skills relative to every other driver I ever saw. The only other driver who can be compared is Jimmy Clark. Not Schumacher, not Prost, not anyone.

Furthermore, an awful lot of F1 journalists and historians seem to agree with my assessment.

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I never touted Rosberg as being anything other than a flash in the pan. In fact, I don't recall the hype about Rosberg ever approaching the opinions on Hamilton. Rosberg is just another Massa, nothing more. Occasional speed but incomplete as a driver.

However I firmly believe that Hamilton is the next great F1 driver.
    What I find amusing is that so many folks here seem to equate labelling Hamilton as the next great F1 driver is somehow analogous to claiming that he is a better driver than Schumacher.

It is possible that Hamilton may someday eclipse the achievements of drivers before him but that is not the point here. What is the point is that I believe Hamilton is going to be the next dominant driver of his generation. I also believe that when his career is over, he will be among the greats of the sport.

If you somehow think that this opinion is the same thing as my saying Hamilton is right now the greatest driver ever then you are seriously confused.