Bandwagon jumping in the Racing section.. | FerrariChat

Bandwagon jumping in the Racing section..

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SRT Mike, May 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I have said before it's too quick to call Hamilton the next Senna or Schumacher. To be Schumacher, you have to do well over the years, you have to do well in rain, in shine, you need to put in fast laps when they need put in. You need to be able to make a good car shine and a bad car do as well as it can. You need to be able to give feedback to make a bad car good, you need to do so many things - we have seen ONE thing so far from Hamilton - that he can drive. But how can he do in an F1 car in rain? I dunno, and neither do you. How can he do in a sub-optimal car? I dunno, and neither do you.

In some of my posts, I recalled the times when people were calling Rosberg the next big thing - people say "no Hamilton IS the next big thing, WAY better than Rosberg". So here's a little trip down memory lane on Rosberg comments.

POSTED BY "LIGHT GUY"

"Fastest lap in his first F1 race. Williams car; was supposed to be a mid pack car per the obituaries of last year. He is the next super-star

POSTED BY "505HT" (when I said calling him superstart was premature)

"Premature schmemature.....Rosberg is the next big thing. Watch that footage of him passing Coulthard and there is a killer instinct in his style. I'm willing to eat my words on this."

POSTED BY TURB0FLAT4

"Nico, OTOH, has proven to be very capable even in his first race (unlike Narain). Maybe it has something to do with the playing field being levelled with everyone still getting used to V8s, but that kid done good. I would place my money on him being the "real" next big thing."

POSTED BY JKNIGHT

"Nico IS for real and IS the next MS....comparing Nico to Webber/Button is like comparing apples and oranges. "

POSTED BY JAMEEL

"I've never been a big fan of Webber I think he's over rated. I think Rosberg is the next big thing."

POSTED BY CARCRAZY

"I would rather have him right now (still somewhat green to F1 car potential) than Massa."

POSTED BY CRG125

"My cousin went to school with Nico in France and they are pretty good friends. ...The guy is a genius and super talented. Definitley world champion material. In addition he is one of the most down to earth people."

Hamilton seems to be the real deal - a great talent. But it takes more than 5 races (without a win, I may add) to be called the next Schumacher. So many drivers have shown a lot of promise and failed to capitalize on it and turn it into WDC's. Webber, Kimi, Rosberg, Button. All of them were the media darlings at one point, and many on this very forum called them the next superstars and laughed at anyone who suggested we needed more time to evaluate. I wonder how many of the posters above still feel that Rosberg is the next Schumacher, the next superstar, the "real deal"????

Ya can't have it both ways... either Rosberg IS that good and the car just hurts him this year - in which case one would have to admit that Hamilton may be getting painted in a very good light from being in such a good car. Or on has to say that Rosberg wasn't that good, which would mean the car was just great for a time - and given the performance of the McLaren this year, we could say there is a good chance Hamilton is also benefitting from being in the best car.

I'm not saying Hamilton is not the real deal, or he's not a future F1 star - just saying it's waaaay early to be calling him MS-level material. And also I'm trying to point out the maddening (to me) level of bandwagon jumping going on in the forum. Do a search on "Schumacher retire" and you will find tons of people saying 2 years ago that he's washed up, he no longer has the speed, he is past it. Then search posts around the end of last year when he was close to winning his 8th WDC and (in many cases the SAME people) are saying he's the master, he's great, he's the best ever, etc.

While you're at it, do a search on Massa and some of the people who are such champions of him will be posting last year how he sucks and should be fired immediately, etc.

Its like watching a tennis match seeing people switch sides so quick! :)

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    regardless of Hamilton, I still believe Rosberg has a very bright future in Formula 1.

The question remains however, have F1 cars become too 'easy'?

I have said it before regarding Vettel. He stepped in at (I believe it was in Istanbul) and set the fastest time in his first ever official practice session in F1. Now, Vettel is very good in the junior racingseries, but there are more good drivers around. Same goes for Robert Kubica. He was not that special in lower classes, but once in the BMW he turned out to be a very fast driver.

and now Hamilton. Granted, Hamilton actually DID set the world a light in F3 and GP2, but is it really surprising these days that a talented young driver is able to take a F1 car up to its limit so quickly and with apperent ease?

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The weak always do. Either they heard a phrase on Speed and repeat it for a couple of years or they guess.

4. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    My intention is not to "out" anyone above and subject them to neener-neering'ing or anything like that. Just to illustrate how damn quickly people jump on and off bandwagons.

When Ferrari was stumbling in 2005, people were calling for everything from Todt's resignation, to saying Schumi was over the hill, to saying Brawn was washed up. People wanted Rosberg at Ferrari, they wanted Massa drawn and quartered in 06 after a few races.

Thank god that the team principles are more patient than the fans on this forum. Can you imagine if some of the folks who jump bandwagons so quick were authorotative in F1 - like team managers, etc? We'd have 10 Toyota-esque teams out there who were all fumbling at the back of the pack and going through radical changes every time something didn't go 100% perfect! :)

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If the cars are reliable and quicker than most... tweak.

If they aren't reliable OR just not quicker than most... overhaul.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The weak also do not want to waiver from what is considerd to be conventional wisdom, a popularity contest of sorts. In fact, they jump on a different bandwagon and criticize anyone that voices any opinion other than their own and the majority. I still believe that Massa is the real thing, have since last season, have always been in the extreme vocal minority praising Felipe. Despite the criticism and put downs, I stick to that belief. But most of that belief is not intuition, it is cheating, I admit.

I don't buy into the Hamilton comments, didn't with Kubica or Rosberg. No doubt they are good, but no way to tell about the future. Yet. I certainly don't believe there will be another Schumacher or Senna from this group. A Prost or Lauda maybe.

I will deny saying this, but this is actually a well stated thread.

7. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Rather than selecting only a few of the comments naming the respective posters, it would have been better to reference the thread in it's entirety as there's some very interesting posts contained in same. One of which includes a listing of the 50 fastest laps which certainly gives creedence to Nico's ability. Link to the thread in question on the "bandwagon topic" is http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97569&highlight=nico+rosberg

If you read my post thoroughly, which you only took a part of as your referenced quote, you would soon see why I made my comment. During his tenure in GP2, I have seen Nico drive several times in person in Europe. My comments about his style of driving were well founded - referenced with what I saw at Spa. The talent is definitely there, the car isn't.

Regarding Lewis Hamilton, his stats speak for himself. Former F1 drivers have spoken of his great potential as well. Ron Dennis is no fool and has nurtured Lewis along the way for bigger and better things.

Carol

Marnix, your post #2 is terrific!

8. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The context of what you said was accurate, as I posted. The rest of your post (that I cut out) did nothing to temper your original statement, it simply
    explained why you think Nico IS the next MS. You didn't say he's really good, or he's done well before, you said HE IS THE NEXT MS. To me, MS is the greatest driver ever, certainly of the modern times. He did things that dropped peoples jaws. He has 7 WDC's and holds just about every record in F1. You said Nico was the next MS. I think that's ludicrous, and I said it back then.

Then this year, you made a post about how Hamilton will re-write the history books. Again you explained it with his history of winning in lesser series. I guess re-writing the history books is as grandiose a claim as saying Nico is the next MS? So does that mean we have two uber-superstars in F1 in a span of only 2 years? Who will the pet superstar be next year?

I'm sorry if you took offense to my post - but you're an example of what I'm talking about. You jump on the bandwagon of whoever is hot that year, claiming they are the next big thing. Do you still think Rosberg is the next MS? Seriously?

I've seen you suggest that when people don't like what you post, or if you don't like what they post, that they go to a different forum. May I suggest that if you don't like it, you leave. I have never told anyone they should leave the forum, just because they called me out on something I said that was pretty out-there in terms of accuracy or believability.

9. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    2nd paragraph I agree with completely. There will be maybe a Prost or Lauda but I don't see any MS's. I think Hamilton could be an MS - but it's a slim chance. And it's not because he's "that good" but rather he's new, and maybe he does have all the other MS-traits that made MS a champ, although I really doubt it.

As for Kimi, in my case I don't think it's sticking to the old ways that I consider him better than Massa. Kimi does not have a startling record of wins, nor does he have many of the things MS has. But I have watched every single F1 race he's ever been in. And in those hundred-some starts, there have been many times when I opened my eyes and took notice of his driving. He's been blisteringly fast. He's shown enormous bravery (witness many of his on-track battles with MS). He's made a slow car go really fast, and he's battled his way back from bad starts to get podiums and wins that I don't think any other driver - save maybe MS - could have done. I personally do not think all of those 100-some starts are erased by 5 races this year. Especially when one of those was a win (a feather in his hat), one was a DNF that was not his fault - leaving three. Of the three, two were P3's - not bad at all. One was a mess - totally his fault. At most, he has had 3 sub-par performances, and I think its' a stretch to call a pair of P3's "sub par" - but even if you do, it's still only 3 bad races. 3 bad races do not erase 110 others and many other wins and podiums.

Conversely with Massa, 5 good races (and it was actually only really 3 good races. One was a mess, one was not very good due to his mistake). 3 good races does not the next MS make. IMO of course.

I will say Massa is doing better than I expected, and Kimi is doing worse. If Massa keeps it up, and Kimi doesn't start showing what I think is his true talent, then I will be 100% behind saying Massa is better than Kimi. But not yet - it's way early to say it, just like (IMO) it's way early to say Hamilton is the next MS, just like it was way early last year for the bandwagon jumpers to call Rosberg the next MS.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i've always said the Hamilton hype is getting overboard. i'll never compare him to MS/Senna. i can't even believe Bernie already compared him to MS.

MS and Senna both came from budget teams. they had a sh!tty car to drive at the beginning, compared to Hamilton.

no disrespect to Hamilton, he's doing a great job. but comparing him to Senna/MS? common.....it's like comparing Wayne Rooney to Pele...

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    *Never* is a long time....

While I agree (and posted to this effect) that the LH hype is out of control, I actually believe he *may* be the "chosen one" based on performances to date (not just in F1 BTW).

To me, he's the closest to Senna I've seen since, well, Senna - Whether he lives up to my expectations (even in the wrong car) remains to be seen, and I don't think he'll come close to challenging MS' records, but he seems like the "real deal"..... [aka - Nico, Mark, Heikki at al]

Plus, he seems like a really nice kid, which really sucks![Kind of like the athlete who's also good academically - Not fair! :) ]

As usual, my 02c,
    Cheers,
    Ian

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I try to avoid bandwagons, unless they happen to involve Milka I-Dunno:) I was excited about Niko, but thought he got over-hyped from the get go. I guess it's good that people still want to get so excited about the sport, and ultimately that's the best part. But I burned out on all this "heir-apparent" nonsense back when Walter Payton retired. Well before Jordan's "heir-apparent" era.

13. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I agree with the premise of this thread. Super quick judgments lack accuracy. The more data one has, the more accurate the predictions become. I don't think Rosberg is fast at all (certainly not yet). He was absolutely obliterated by Webber last year. Kubica isn't fast yet either. Kubica has not proven to be better than Heidfeld - this year or last year. Heidfeld is possibly a WDC with the right car, as is Webber (assuming he had a modicum of reliability). I don't think people are calling Heidfeld or Webber future multiple WDCs - so why Rosberg or Kubica. Even Hamilton is a risky bet. He hasn't proven himself to be definitively faster than his teammate (an extremely fast one though).

14. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i do agree with u that he's a great guy. doesn't seem arrogant or anything.

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I really don't like the term band waggon because it implies one makes statements just to fall in line with everybody else's. Really not true for me. I make my own calls, be they right or wrong. I don't see a problem with changing your mind. I have been a big fan of MS up to 03 then lost interest and became a big Alonso fan up to 07. Again that is not band waggon to me but rather that I'm getting tired of seeing the same person win year after year.

Right now I'd like nothing more than Hamilton to get his first victory and at some point his first and second championship. But I already know, that by the time he bags his third title, I'll be bored of him and want the new rookie of that year to win it all. Maybe jaded or spoiled is a better term than band waggon for me. :)

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    hopefully for u, Massa will still be making rookie mistakes at that time

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I would enjoy seeing Massa win a title. I just don't think that'll happen.

I'm not anti Massa. I'm against the belief that he is a top driver.

18. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, keep the faith. All things are possible ;)

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am certainly not jumping on any bandwagon.

I learned my lesson when Alesi passed Senna a few times in his Tyrell way back when, and ended up winning a grand total of 1 race in his career.

Hamilton shows a lot of promise, no doubt about that. He has an awfully long way to go, though. The true test will really only start when he makes an under-performing car perform - consistently.

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

Some folks fail to see the distinction.

21. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Then by that criteria Kimi isn't doing so hot and Massa barely so. I'm not going to fault Hamilton for situations beyond his control. He came along when he did and his performance exceeds expectations. I think Ferrari would much rather have his consistancy thus far into the season than what they have in Kimi right now. He shows quite a bit more than promise as people far more qualified than any of us here made that judgement a long, long time ago.

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I never claimed Kimi or Massa to be the next great thing either.

I heard the same praise for Alesi by these "more qualified people" as well. Time will tell. Until then, he shows promise, nothing more.

23. The K Reloaded

The K Reloaded Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You're just not paying attention. The boy has podiumed the first five races of his career. Promise is finishing 4th or consistantly in the points. Exceeding promise is exactly what Lewis is doing. Very well past Alesi.

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    As a person who generally doesn't buy into hype, I hear where you're coming from. The fact that Bernie et al are ready to proclaim Hamilton as the next Senna doesn't influence my thinking...they NEED a poster-boy for F1 after all. The opinions of others on this forum don't influence me, because we're all pretty equally-qualified observers of the racing series. I realize that all of these guys (well, most) are some of the greatest drivers in the world and any should do well behind the wheel of the McLaren.

What sells me on Hamilton is the fact that he has delivered from race one despite all of the hype. He is on the podium every race...that has not happened before for a rookie. Montoya was the last guy to come in with this level of hype, and I don't know if he had 5 podiums in his F1 career. I also consider the driving style...most of the guys seem to take what the car gives, while he seems to drive the hell out of the car and trusts that it will last until the checkered flag. I've watched F1 for 15 years in total, religiously the last 10 or 11 (whenever Fox started broadcasting the races at 4:30a PST) and the entire time I've been a Ferrari fan (yes, I did root for Berger/Alesi vs Schumacher or Senna). I don't tend to give drivers for other teams much notice, unless it's out of deference to their very apparent superior skills.

This is only the third time I've given a driver for another team much notice. I do agree that only time will tell if he is the real deal, but my personal belief is that he has the goods.

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    You're joking, right??

JPM would have won in only the 4th GP of his career, had he not been taken out by Verstapan, IIRC. He DID win in only his 12th GP. And he finsihed with 7 wins to his credit, let alone all the poles and fastest laps he accumulated.

JPM, despite his critics here, is the real thing and it is a travesty that he is not in F1.