Back to R/C flying! | FerrariChat

Back to R/C flying!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jul 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    With a need to get out of my office, I started flying R/C again, but this time, I went electric. Holy Crap! The new brushless motors with 3-cell LiPo batteries produce the same output as the gas engines (.45 size) that can take your hand off if you are not careful!

Just built a Mini Funtana which is a blast to fly and have a 3-chan glider in the queue. The fact that there is no fuel, starters, etc. to screw around with, it's great to pull the plane out of my truck and be flying in 15 seconds!

Any others into this? Rob: Still flying?

2. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    how much does it cost to get started? I don't mind putting up a hundred or two, but certainly don't want much more than that. Electric has a real appeal. I have seen ads for a number of small electric RC planes but I hate the thought of buying one and finding out I just bought some junk.

I am a pilot with my own plane so I already have one black hole to throw money down (WAAS enabled, IFR certified). I don't need another one.

3. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I would love to get back into R/C. I would go electric as well. I got tired of messing with all the stuff for the engines and then have them not want to start.

I've still got a drawer full of clothes that stinks from the exhaust of them too.

The club here folded after their land was sold to build houses.

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) $100 - $250 2-4 hours build time
    Brushless motor $65-$100
    Speed controller $45-$75
    3-Cell 2100mH LiPo battery $50-$75
    Servo's / Micro $20-$40 Each
    Battery charger $75-$150
    Misc hardware $25 (Battery connectors, props, weights, stupid little things)
    Radio $125 - $400 (A lOT of choices)
    Great CA Glue ;o) $5.95

5. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I have a nitro R/C truck. I tried electric planes once and it did not work out!

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Operator error?

7. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
  8. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I'm wanting to get into the places, specifically the P-51D Mustang models. I currently run numerous on/off road r/c's:
    Savage 21(2 speed)
    Savage 25LE(3 speed)
    MBX R2 Buggy
    Custom Crawler in the works(electric 2-55t Motors from Integy)
    HPI RS4 2 with Picco XP12 and 2 speed tranny
    Traxxas 4-Tec Electric
    TC3 Electric Drifter
    RC18T with Extreme Package Mamba Brushless motor system

On Order:
    HPI Baja 5b, thank God....No more having to buy pricey ass nitro fuel....Pump gas time, weed eater style.

9. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan

I have the savage 25 2 speed. I would be willing to sell it to you for a low price. It has a brand new engine in it. It only has a couple of hours on it. I haven't driven her in a while because I do not have any batteries. But let me tell you this truck can take a BEATING! I have only broken one part and it was -5 F out. I wish I had the time to drive it. It has been sitting in my basement for a month.

10. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Then of course I re-read your post and realized they are the trucks you own not the ones you are looking for haha.

11. Evan.Fiorentino

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Im sure. That thing was a trip! It would never stay straight. Im sure it would be easier wih a better model. This one was only a $100 model.

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My garage sale will have a TMAXX, complete and runs great, two gas planes, three .45 engines and a bunch of radios (27m 72 & 75MH, AM & FM). Other than the electrics, I'm selling the rest of the stuff. Like you, no time to go out and enjoy them.

13. guirodri

guirodri Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Rio - Brazil
    Full Name:
    G Rodrigues
    I'm into R/C since 94. This year I started with eletric too. I have an ultimate , a SIG kadet senorita and a GP Yak 54, all brushless with 3 and 4 cell LiPo and building a scale PT 19. They are all good planes.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have a cheap ($30) R/C parkflier--it is amazing with LiPo. Also a Lipo powered 2 rotor helicopter--amazing fun--and doable for an R/C novice, yet still a challenge. Can't loop it like a single rotor bird, but still...

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I started in 95 with a nitro boat (tunnel hull w/ outboard 3.5) and had about 3-4 boats over 5 years. Then I had about 7 different nitro cars (the 1/10 off road buggy was my favorite). The cars are way more maintenance but allow use on windy days. I prefer the boats. A good hot day with a few of us running identical setups was great. I once ran an entire gallon of nitro through one 3.5cc motor in one day! I always go with Thunder tiger motors, they are just about indestructible. Haven't run the boats in about three years, but I plan on getting back to the lake soon.
    :D
    BT

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Radio interference.

17. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I tried it once. While I'm 100% sure that there was some operator error...it never really responded properly to any of my inputs and never seemed to fly straight. Waste of money but if I have some extra someday I'd love to try it again.

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #18 PeterS, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I would strongly recommend anyone wanting to get into R/C flying get one of the flight simulators you can practice with on your home computer. The Realflight is really great.

RealFlight RC Flight Simulator

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, I quit when I got my pilots license. I really have no interest getting back into it, sold all my stuff. however, I have thought about a drone just to scout my land and maybe do some YouTube videos.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree.

1) Flight Simulator

2) Join local club and get mentored. They are really good about safety and keep you from making the common mistakes like cross frequency. They also work you up through dual and then solo.