AVH failure resulting in locked brakes | Page 6 | FerrariChat

AVH failure resulting in locked brakes

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by EVONick, May 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Does anyone believe that the charging strategy for the battery could be a possible weak point.
    At what level does the alternator charge the battery? Does it fluctuate more than previous model (458) in order to reduce its draw on the HP of the engine?
    I recall someone who tried to use a Braille LI Ion battery found that it was not compatible (488) due to the alternators charging strategy?

2. Wade Nguyen

Wade Nguyen Rookie

Jul 11, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Brake problem? The seller claims that problem was due to an AC switch and that owner did not wanted to get parts. Is this true?

...very appreciative of your time and providing vital information.

Attached Files:

3. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I can't read that, it's too small. Please repost a MUCH larger version, or copy/paste the contents.

4. Wade Nguyen

Wade Nguyen Rookie

Jul 11, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Re: Used 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB: Owner 72152177: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB

When asked why it was bought back from the initial dealer:

Seller claims that:

"Because of the AC switch. It took the dealer more than 30 days to get the parts. So the owner didn’t want to wait any longer and got a new Ferrari.

Sent using iPhone "

5. Wade Nguyen

Wade Nguyen Rookie

Jul 11, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Wade
    "Because of the AC switch. It took the dealer more than 30 days to get the parts. So the owner didn’t want to wait any longer and got a new Ferrari. Sent using iPhone
    This Vehicle is a LEMON BUYBACK BECAUSE OF THE A/C SWITCH. BRANDED TITLE (Lemon Buyback) back in 2019. This Vehicle looks, drives and functions without any issues!! "

6. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Ok I can read that. What is the Q?

7. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thought i'd post an update on my experiece incase it helps anyone else:

So I have since sold my 488 spider and upgraded to a Pista, and low and behold have already had the AVH issue again, but luckily have found some interesting little trick.

I have since found, this issue has only ever appeared on my pista when ive turned the car off after it being in reverse (then the DCT auto applies park brake). As wierd as it sounds it does not trigger if I leave it in first then park.

It may sound pretty insignificant(and super wierd, atleast it did to me!), but I can now almost cause it at will when parking in reverse vs 1st, so its quite easily repeatable.

Again ferrari service centre checked over the car/battery/electrical draw completely and found no issues. As before, its always on charge, and driven very regularly.

I've fed the info back to ferrari and plan to pop in shortly to see if we can recreate it often in the service centre here in Sydney.

mdrums likes this.
  8. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Thanks for the Update, that is very interesting, yet another piece of information about this brake lockup situation. I'm glad it is repeatable on your car, that should give Ferrari some direction in which to look for the problem. This particular action made no difference with my 488 GTB, the last time it locked up for 2 days was from going forward. I know this because it was in my garage when it happened, and there is no need to reverse in the garage. The second incident was after street parking, and even though it was an empty street, I cannot say with certainty I did not reverse to position the car. The first time was while driving, and I believe I was going forward, but since it was low speed and I was looking for parking, it's remotely possible I'd found a space and was backing up to it. The takeaway from your Pista for me is that they are probably using the same brake controller, it's problematic, and any car with that controller could have an issue.

9. RobertG123

RobertG123 Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Brandon Gehr
    Hi Nick! I’ve read this whole thread and thought you might interested in knowing that your car is for sale again and I was looking into—of all things—buying it :eek::D. Given all the history disclosed on this thread, the intrigue of the car is of course its discounted price. The car has also been driven a fair amount of miles since your reported issues during ownership which gives me some confidence that this may be a really great deal.

My only issue is the dealership claims (emphasis on claims) that they have no early service records to give me and that the car was lemon'd due to a problem with the A/C. Of course I know better.

As an experienced owner of Ferraris and the previous owner of this exact car, what do you make of the situation? Worth pursuing? I know you'd probably tell me to go after a clean title beautiful 458 instead :D, but I think this 488 might be a really great opportunity.

P.S. If you could help me get my hands on those elusive service records from your ownership I'll buy you a drink ;)

10. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I've thought about this one quite a bit, here's my take now.

1. It's a good deal on a car you're going to keep, the Lemon title will make it hard to sell again.
    2. Run a Carfax, let us know how many owners it's had after the buyback. 10K miles were added, were those uneventful and by one owner? Or 10 owners who each have stories to tell.
    3. I may still have the original svc docs, but even if I don't I have bad scans of them from the hearing. They're mainly useless I can tell you know, I just needed them to prove the car was out of commission for XX days. They say "customer complains of this, we can't duplicate it, updated brake computer and switch, cannot replicate, it's fixed". If it was fixed why did it happen twice more? Oh yeah, I was lying, that's what Ferrari's position was. And even their lawyers, when faced with the videos of the braking system freaking out, called it "purported video evidence". LOL!
    4. I don't know anything about an AC switch.

and...
    5. They changed the wheels to the crappy ones, my spec requires the other wheels. :)

I'd pursue #2, that's more important than anything I could tell you.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  11. RobertG123

RobertG123 Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Brandon Gehr
    Hi again, thanks for the thought out response.

1. It's definitely a car I'd keep for the long run, and although it will be difficult to resell, my thought is that when that time comes I will be able to sell it at around the same price I purchased it, depending on the deal I can squeeze out of them.

2. Those 10k miles are one of the mysteries I'm trying to solve. The carfax report is filled with holes and does not tell how those miles got there. The mileage simply jumps from one service to the next. When I first called the dealership, a guy named Tom picked up the phone. He was very nice and polite. He even started off by telling me that they'd go down on the price! I was shocked haha. Is it really gonna be this easy I thought? I asked him about the extra miles, and he stated that the car was a rental for 6 months. Yikes. Not what I wanted to hear, but I plan on checking out the car in person anyways and getting it inspected, so I figured if the car passes my standards in person then the rental factor would just give me more wiggle room on the price. The next time I called, however, another man picked up and gave me another story. He said that he leased the car out "to a friend." Really strange how that wouldn't be listed on carfax however. I'm inclined to believe Tom, who the next guy said "shouldn't have picked up the phone." What a situation.

3. The reason why I think your service docs might be beneficial to me is because they seem to either be hiding the fact or are ignorant to the fact that the car had such a huge issue. I think bringing such an issue to light and having evidence would help in my negotiations.

4. Again with the AC switch thing, that's simply what they told me was the reason for the lemon title. Of course, the AVH system is the reason for the lemon title.

5. What wheels did you have on it originally! wow! :D It's hard to tell what color the wheels are in their pictures, I like the darker ones personally.

P.S. Wow, I can't believe Ferrari claimed "purported video evidence" on a customer. Yikes again. What a bad look. No wonder they lost!

12. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    The pictures above were on the drive home on delivery day. The best day of them all. :)
    The simple gunmetal five star wheels were perfect for the monochrome spec, the double spokes are too busy.

As for docs, the svc docs really won't help you with negotiations, but the Hearing Decision will. :D

Attached Files:

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  13. RobertG123

RobertG123 Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Brandon Gehr
    Yes the gunmetal wheels... My favorite :D. And you're right, the five spoke looks amazing and clean, wow. I had always considered the dual spoke to be my favorite. I hope those wheels aren't long gone by now.

And the blue on the interior looks so good!! So much better than in the color-edited pictures from the dealer. Wow!

Thanks a ton for the documents. I think I have everything I need now to continue pursuing this car. I'm gonna fly out to the dealership in about a week, I'll let you guys know how everything goes! This would be my first Ferrari ;)

14. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
  15. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
  16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Very interesting....when I bought my 2019 488 my sales guy...who's been at Ft Lauderdale Ferrari.for many many years..must have told me 3 times or 300 times during the buying process and test drive not to park the car in reverse and turn it off..always put it in gear (1st) and then turn the car off. He insisted on me knowing this and that I understood this. Maybe he knows something?

of2worlds likes this.
  17. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    You should just ask him. I'd be surprised if it was anything other than habit, much like telling a manual driver to always leave it in gear.

mdrums likes this.
  18. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    actually this is how the industry works. It is just slightly more expensive to the vendor than regular bug fixing.

remember the rear spoiler recall of audi tt.

19. collcons

collcons Rookie

Feb 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Robert Collins
    I purchased a 2017 488 spider in december 2022. Last week we drove about 45 miles to meet some friends for lunch. After about 2 hours went out to start the car. It started biut displayed a avh failure indicator. In the past I have had cases where an indicator would light up but after turning off and restarting would go away. So I turned off car. When I tried to restart the ocnsole displayed as usual and then immediately went to avh failure and would not start. Engine would not even turn over. I googled avh failure and noticed that maybe there was a problem with parking brake. Turned off parking brake but no good. After repeated tried other systems started failing. Never would turn over the engine. I ended up having ferrari roadside assistance tow to dealer. Dealer has not been able to recreate the problem and car has started every time for them. I am suspicios of the battery but they say battery is fine. They want over $500 to replace the battery. For thatI can replace myself. Any suggestions on what might be occurring. BTW. Car has slightly more that 8k miles.

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Battery problem would be a good bet. But if it checks out, I’d look at the battery connection. Probably not secure.

SV

21. collcons

collcons Rookie

Feb 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Robert Collins
    Thanks. I will be picking up my car either tomorrow or thursday. Plan on checking.