Aussie Supercar to Rival Enzo!!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aussie Supercar to Rival Enzo!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mike360, Oct 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I saw this car in person at the Adelaide Motor show. Don't really know what to make of it. It borrows styling from the McLaren F1, NSX and others, and has an engine using obsolete technology (like most Australian cars).
    Overall it brings nothing new to the table technology or design wise, but does seem to have good acceleration, more as a result of its extreme light weight, rather than an amazingly powerful engine. Handling is an unknown. Being the weight it is, I'm wondering how it'll pass crash testing.

As for the kit car comment, well that's probably a pretty accurate, if unflattering, description. There's no way with $8 million you can create a completely new, in-house supercar with advanced technology. Can't be done. Comparing it technologically to the Enzo, Carrera GT, Koenigsegg CCR, Pagani Zonda and McLaren F1 is just silly.

I guess it's for people who want a supercar, but don't want something from outside Australia.

Sort of like the Saleen S7 is to the USA.

2. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It represents good Speed for Cash value though...
    It might be old tech wise, but hey, speed is speed. Its seems like a raw car with no creature comforts, and that wont suit everyone. But it could be a good weekend car or even a track car. I think they will push through a few units, nothing too spectacular.
    I have respect for the guy cuase he has put up 8M of his own money and poured it into the Joss. It may be a modern nail, but i respect his efforts.

3. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

No... no it doesn't really. There are simply too many Cobra, Supercoupe and GT40 replica kit cars out there that will likely handle as well and be as quick (don't know about a ~198 mph top speed though) as this car but cost you less than 100k USD. I tend to think it is closer to a refined kitcar league than it is to Enzo/Carrera GT/McLaren league.

4. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All good points have been brought up here.
    I am a little biased because i want Australia put on the Supercar map!!

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, after reading up about the Joss here is my opinion:

1. Good on him for having a go, but ...
    2. For the car to be taken seriously the Porsche gearbox has to go, to be replaced by a purpose built one. Australia has the technology and even the company to make such a gearbox in Holinger. This is required to elevate it above the kit car status.
    3. The spaceframe chassis has to go ... unless it is an alloy one like the F360, Ford GT, etc. If it is just a welded steel spaceframe ... well again replica's have been making good ones for years ... piece of cake.

When you buy a manufactured car, you expect to be buying a technological advanced item and you are paying the big bucks because you expect there to be a fair degree of research, development and expertise gone in to developing the car.

Using a Porsche gearbox, a 60's chassis design is just not good enough. While I would not expect (for the price) a carbon tub, I would expect some sort of monocoque chassis, with maybe space frame extensions ...

Yes the car has advanced aerodynamics (apparently) ... cool, but other than the body having a bit of kevlar and carbon in it, the car is old technology and in direct competition with the established replica market.

Now if it had a carbon tub and own gearbox ... ooh, arh, now that would add that exclusivity that he needs to attract the investers and buyers.

Pete's opinion

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #31 Auraraptor, Oct 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, well this is different...this is the exhaust outlet I take it...

...if so I want to see the engine and how/where the intakes are.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Exactly what I was thinking! I wonder how those Salleens are selling?????

In today's market, where there are so many cars to choose from, it is so difficult to successfully bring a brand new car to the market, especially in the supercar market. Even established brands have difficulty with some of their models.

I wish these guys all the luck in the world. It probably doesn't mean anything to most people, but to me, if a manufacturer does not have a pedigree in racing, then they have no business designing supercars.

8. ssmith2k3

ssmith2k3 Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Well Saleen has been winning some FIA gt races, so I suppose they are earning a 'pedigree'. Keep in mind that the company that practically defined the supercar is Lamborghini, the same company that also saw racing as a waste of money.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree and that is why many of us do not respect Lamborghini ...

Pete

10. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think that the Joss Supercar is entering the Nations Cup series here in Australia for 2005. I also heard it will be entering some classes in a number of events around the world! Ill let you guys know which ones if i hear of them.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are they giving it special dispensation as this series is supposed to be based on road cars?

I think they should let it enter, for R&D reasons to help Joss but I can see the **** flying once it starts kicking @rse.

Many years ago somebody in NZ built their own v8 engine and they wanted to test it under racing conditions. They tried to get it allowed in a series, which was pretty open, other than the engine had to be based on a production engine ... they were not allowed to run it :(

In the Nations Cup case though they allowed the BS Monaros to race so they should allow the Joss ... or just about anything to race ;)

Pete

12. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Keep us updated, Mike, I like the car. I'll be honest, it's never something I'll be able to afford, and I don't know if anyone is going to buy one for that price. That having been said, I'm not sure why so many people insist on making a big deal about its pushrod engine. Horsepower is horsepower folks, and I've heard significantly fewer complaints about the Corvette's or Viper's pushrod engine.

13. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The main thing that we have to remember here is that the car is still pretty much in development. When the first few leave the factory, hopefully the funds to research and develop a better and more efficient engine will be there. At a guess, if Joss Developments don't sell their first batch quickly, you can forget about this car. and the compnay for that fact. Well, that was the impression that i got after talking to the Owner...
    Time will Tell folks