Audi to run a diesel at LeMans and Sebring | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Audi to run a diesel at LeMans and Sebring

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Dec 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Audi have also said that they expect to run 2 - 3 more laps on a tank of fuel so they are clearly contradicting themselves.

One of the great thing about LeMans is that you can never say that. Two years ago as I am sure you know two Audis crashed off in the first few hours and lost huge amounts of time. Audi are only taking two cars this year and if a similar thing happens they may not win.

Le Mans is a lot more than having the fastest car.

2. Tazio Novante

Tazio Novante Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Michel Dekker
    Most criticism on F1 (and racing i.g.) is the fact that races are won in the pit box in stead of battling it out on the track. So now we have to cheer that the main advantage Audi comes up with is pit stop strategy?

Concerning development the diesel probably needs another path then petrol engines. Diesel just has the trouble it is not controlable. It is a self combusting engine, when we still need to ignite the petrol engine. So development on the diesel fuel will probably be much more essential than the hardware.

3. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    BTW, does the R10 comply with Euro4 emission standards?

4. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    I don't see what the big deal is; diesels periodically emerge in every racing series that allows them.

A diesel won or almost won the Indy 500 back in the 20s or 30s, Cummins IIRC. At the time, that was revered as the all out defiance of death and speed, so I'm not sure how Audi is starting a revolution at LeMans here. Every time a diesel has emerged and been a force to be reckoned with, the ruling body has moved in within a few years to make it uncompetitive, or more to the point, taken away its competitive advantage that existed as a result of the previous rules. History tends to repeat itself...

5. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    Both can be correct. If a diesel engine is only running at 5000 rpm at full throttle, it will use less fuel than a petrol engine that is running at 8000 rpm. Unless I've got my maths all wrong.

6. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    However its done if you run more laps oin the same amount of fuel it has to be more fuel efficient.

7. Tazio Novante

Tazio Novante Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Michel Dekker
    Only if the fuel contains the same amount of energy. As diesel contains more energy than petrol, it should be nothing but fair to decrease the fuel tank from the Audiesel with about 10%. Should also cover the extra weight. But that is one regulation the ACO DIDN'T change..................