Attorney Suggestions? | FerrariChat

Attorney Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by buzzpics, Aug 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    As I posted in the 308 forum, a girl ran a red light on memorial day and took out my little 308. Insurance has decided that the car is totaled, and wants to pay out $39k. I couldn't even come close to replacing the car for that. I think I may have a good reason to file suit based on bad faith. I called Dallas BAR Association, and they referred me to some Indian Husband/Wife team that have no reviews, and TBH, I don't trust. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Lee Shidlofsky is the best coverage/bad faith attorney in Texas, maybe the country.

Shidlofsky Law Firm PLLC :: Home Page :: Austin, Texas

Nowadays, he does mostly appellant work. (I believe he has won more Texas Supreme court cases than any man alive.) However, he's a great guy and can give you a good referral if he doesn't have the time.

3. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    You might try talking to Greg Scott (Home). He is well-known to many of the Dallas FChatters. Greg does a lot of insurance defense work so he might be conflicted-out in your case, but it might be worth giving him a call.

The other option would be to hire a valuation expert and use the report to fight the insurance offer.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    You have no bad faith claim by definition against the other driver. The issue is one of damages, I.e market value and you need a good value expert. Problem is that you can't recover attorney's fees for your claim. Between expert and attorney's fees this case can cost as much as the delta between offer and what you are really damaged. My advice is to get a goo expert and try the case yourself.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But if his insurer acted in bad faith, isn't that a colorable claim? I realize this is shooting for the moon, but shouldn't his first shot be to file a complaint with the insurer, and maybe the state board?

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Guessing it's the other drivers insurer that he's dealing with.

Is John H. still around? I seem to recall he did car valuations professionally.

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yes John still does some valuation work, and I was presuming the other driver was at fault so OPs insurance not implicated.

8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Call your own insurance company. File with them and have the subrogating the claim. It will initially cost you your deductible, but as soon as they get any money back from her insurance company they will refund your deductible.

Aaron

9. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's correct, no bad faith on a third-party claim. This is a straight up damages claim.

10. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's correct, no bad faith on a third-party claim. This is a straight up damages claim.