Art, Architecture & Cars (was "Wither Vintage Ferrari Values") | FerrariChat

Art, Architecture & Cars (was "Wither Vintage Ferrari Values")

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by sam231, Mar 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    A lot of threads have focused on where vintage prices are going. I was reading the latest edition of Marine Art Quarterly and came upon the section detailing recent sales at auction. It gave me pause....I know a Jackson Pollock painting just sold for $140 million (He of the "dump the paint on the canvas" fame. This article listed 2 Gustave Klimt paintings selling for a combined $222,936,000, a Qing Dynasty bowl for $19,670,000, Babe Ruth's 1932 All Star jersey for $637,974, a Flash Comics 1st Issue 1940 for $273,125, John Lennon's tinted sunglasses for $111,250, Secretariat's bit and bridle for $26,888,and a Howdy Doody puppet for $11,155 just to name a few. The lone Ferrari in the two page list was a 1958 412S sold @ $5,610,000....that seems a pretty good bargain to me. It is rare, you can gaze at it's curves, sit in it, take it apart and put it back together if you want, and most important of all drive it. No it won't fit on your wall or shelf unless you have a VERY big house, but maybe I am out in left field thinking that it is a relative bargain comapred to the other items. Given these values, Ferrari prices can go higher!

2. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    And let's not forget the $2.3M or so paid for some silly baseball card for crying out loud. You can purchase a steel body 250 SWB for that kind of money.

Ah, let's see, should I purchase a baseball card or 250 SWB? As much as my wife may wonder sometimes at the money I pay for cars, I can only imagine the abuse I would take for spending that kind of money on a baseball card.

Steve

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Ah but this was THE baseball card. Not only the rarest (a T206 Honus Wagner) but also the best example within that rare group as it is nearly mint. I'm sure a similar post in a baseball card group would say "$2.3 million for some old Italian car? You could have had a mint T206 for that!"

T308

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2007/03/01/ap/sports/baseball/d8nidcv80.txt

4. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    T206 Honus Wagner or not, that purchase would probably have landed me in a meeting across the table from a divorce attorney. Now, that really would it one expensive card.

Steve

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Steve,

Now that's funny! Great post!

Regards,

Art S.

6. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    Pablo Picasso created more than 20,000 works of art. .

How many modern paintings did Jackson Pollock create?

The 30's depression wiped out the America coach works and the war destroyed the Europeans. Almost no supply after the war.

From 1952 to 1956, a very creative period, Pinin Farina build less than 20 great one off Ferrari's .

Should see art values some day. Just to close ito the fifties for now. Today few of these cars sell. The only thing holding back prices is trade volume - no supplie.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There is more and more money chasing fewer and fewer great things.

There are 75 foot sports fishing boats asking 6 million.

IMHO that Baseball card did not over sell.

IMHO it's value unlike the 6 Million dollar sports fishing boat will continue to rise.

I think great cars will rise as well but I very much doubt great cars will catch great art.

There are paintings today that would trade in 15 minutes for 500 million.

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #8 Horsefly, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't forget the investment potential of his lesser known twin brother:
    Bogus Wagner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    we went to the chicago art museum a week or so ago and looked at a great number of Frank Lloyd, Louis Sullivan and other architectural artifacts displayed as art and then went into the galleries and looked at a large number of Monets and other paintings. i cannot remember enjoying looking at pure art so much ever. it occurred to me that many of the paintings must be worth millions and there they were, hanging on the wall close enough to touch.

of course at the ferrari gallery (the factory museum) it is the same way. when you go in they say..."we do not have ropes around our cars to prevent you from touching them, however, if you touch them you will be asked to leave".... all those amazing cars and you could get as close and look as much as you like.

they had that very nice dark red pf coupe too.

i think my favorite may have been the eighty or so indy car that never went to indy. there it was looking very nice with a fine red body with no sponsor decals whatever.

tom w

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    So true.

One fine day go to the Prado and check out "The Garden of Earthly Delights" Then go and check out the bed that Phillip died in at Escorial.

You begin to understand the connection between art,architecture, heaven and hell as you look through the window he cut in the stone so he could see the painting that hung in the church be built below his death bed by the same painter who painted the painting that hangs in the Prado, a painter of which he collected all know examples.

Best

11. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    actually i visited the prado in 1973. i remember checking out the el grecos and the other famous spanish painter whose name escapes me. at the time i was not very impressed but i was very young then and if i visited agiain today i might have a better appreciation of them.

in general i have always been a better appreciator of architecture and auto design more. there is something about functionality that is compelling to me.

tom w

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Check out Norman Fosters Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank and Louis Kahn's Capital of Bangladesh.

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I prefer architecture too...like Horta, Guimard, Frank Lloyd Wright, Greene and Greene, etc...but I would settle for a Monet :)

14. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Toured the Vincent van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam a few years ago. Absolutely stunnning, breathtaking despite the large crowd of people.
    Ed

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You've always had good taste.

:)

16. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Now I'm impressed. Very few people know about Victor Horta.

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That name rings a bell...late 19th-early 20th century, vine motifs...that's all I remember.

18. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    THAT surprises me. Anyone who knows anything about art nouveau should know the name...

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    What, no Gaudi fans?

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Noone has mentioned Neutra and his contemporaries. Personally, I think his work's clean lines are wonderful.

WCH,

Gaugi fans are in the Lambo forum ;) .

Regards,

Art S.

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, I'm a Gaudi fan....although I like Horta and Giumard better...
    and the only Lambo I really like is the Miura... :p

22. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    i am a gaudi fan. i have visited all (i think) of his major works. i have the casa mila as a screen saver at work.

although the sagrada familia is the most famous work i think i like the casa mila best.

and even though he was a wild man if you walk around barcelona his stuff was not all THAT much wilder. he is almost "in context' there.

tom w

23. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Here!

John

24. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    While I appreciate Art Nouveau and the earlier forms of design and architecture, my architectural and design preferences are Art Deco, Streamline Modernism and Post War Modernism into the early 1960's.

So, yeah, I'm a fan of Neutra, and Gaudi. For me after the early 60's its been downhill architecturally. Design wise there are great cars till the early 70's and then it ends. The last car that strikes a chord with me design wise is the Ferrari 308. There were so many great architects in the recent past, the Kahns, Saarinens, Barragan, etc. Maybe someday, good design will make a comeback.

25. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    You might want to spend a weekend in the Sinatra house in Palm Springs. It's been available for rental.