Arizona Auctions Transportation Logistics Question | FerrariChat

Arizona Auctions Transportation Logistics Question

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by energy88, Jan 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've read in the press that over 1 thousand cars participated in Arizona Auction Week. Obviously the cars must get there to participate and afterwards depart for either new homes or return home (no sales). This many cars in a short time span involves a lot of private trailers and professional carriers. It would seem that getting a car to an auction would be a lot easier than getting a car from an auction due to the amount of time available to plan and schedule transportation before the auction.

My question relates to what happens AFTER an auction in securing shipping since there are so many unknown outcomes that can arise during an auction such as No Sales, Buyers Purchasing More Cars Than Intended, Geographical Imbalances Arising to Certain Parts of the Country, etc. It seems that there might be a mad scramble for limited transportation just after the auction and especially for cars that cross the block last unless potential reservations are made beforehand. I'm interested in advice and comments on how post-auction transportation issues are ultimately worked out.

2. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    I've never had a problem, most of the big carriers are on hand and will provide a quote on the night or next day, I have always found these quotes to be very consistent (it's never felt to me like a scramble or carriers taking advantage of a supply demand imbalance). I usually get emails from them in the build up to the auction just letting me know they will be there and to contact them if I buy anything

3. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    One very relaxed or lazy way to solve this,,depending of who you are, is to let the auction house when you are buying take car of logistics and transportation. I have always done that when buying in Monterey, both from RM and Gooding, and actually they used the same supplier who also transported my cars to and from Pebble Beach,,,and I have always been fully satisfied, and in any case I was not staying long enough to take care of logistics for sending a car overseas, customs, etc.

4. time

time Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2011
    Full Name:
    DeeGee
    I am sitting in Scottsdale with two open enclosed spots ready for California delivery. 480-334-8251

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well put. There is a lot that can be said for the KISS method. Thanks!

6. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    This has been my experience as well.

7. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yesterday leaving RS I saw a parking lot full of semi trailers and thought of your question. I assume most carriers make it a point to be available for this event. BJ typically has about 1000 cars, if you factor in the other auctions this week, I suspect there is over 2000 cars going across the auction block this week. I have not heard of anyone having an issue getting a car transported.

Cheers Jim