Anyone in SoCal with a 550 Maranello? | FerrariChat

Anyone in SoCal with a 550 Maranello?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Tarek307, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Hey Guys, maybe a strange question on this forum,

Does anyone here in Socal own a 550 that would be willing to meet up one day and show me their car and take me for a ride? Los Angeles or O.C , i'm rite in middle in Belmont Shore, Long Beach.

I have a serious itch to get a 550, in 2018 i had my first F car a 2004 Gated Manual Modena, put 10K miles on that and had it 1 year then sold to a friend and bought a 458 Italia, had that almost another year put 6K miles on it and sold it to another good friend..Since then i've been daily driving my
    98' 993 C2S wide body which i freaking love..but really itching for an F-Car again..

I've never driven or been inside a 550, figured i'd ask here if anyone would be up for this..I've got my eye on a 98 550 but its not local, and i don't want to buy one before having driven one..

thx

Here are my previous rides & current DD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    another time maybe ...my son in law just bought a new Porsche Carrera GTS and I have not been in it, He a is a doctor at Cedars and said we would be to close even with masks and the windows open As much as he would like me to give him some tips he said we will have to wait.
    I should add not everybody feels that way so you might get that ride Good Luck :)
    Social Distancing ):

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Shouldn't that be "So-Cal distancing" :D

Il Tifoso likes this.
  4. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
  5. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    There’s two for sale at Ferrari Newport Beach and I think 2 in Ferrari Beverly Hills. Obviously the dealer experience isn’t always the most enjoyable but could be worth putting up with to at least sit in and spend some time with a car.

Darren Donovan likes this.
  6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Yes i've seen those online but #1 i don't want to be a tire kicker and waste a dealers time- and either way it won't be the same as talking to someone that owns one face to face- I'd much rather meet up with an Enthusiast owner.

F456M likes this.
  7. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I would be your guy except for Covid 90k miles on mine love every mile still to this day was going for 100,000 k miles this year would have got there except ....

8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    wear a mask buddy..lol, or we can exchange rides, you can take my 993 C2S for a spin and i'll take the 550 for a spin ;)

F456M likes this.
  9. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #9 wbklink, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    wife nurse son-in-law doctor ...they will say droplets linger in the air :)

Just had my compressor rebuilt kept my mask on gloves on when dropping off and same when picking it up ok ???

no took them off driving home and both of them gave me hell....):

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Come up North, you can drive mine.

Tarek307 likes this.
  11. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Bravo, Congratulations, we know you're super cautious from your 3 posts you've already mentioned covid in here..

12. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I second @m5shiv invitation. Come up north and you can drive my 2000 Maranello too. Would be happy to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. It's a very versatile, well balanced, comfortable and solid car. Elegant without being loud. You can drive it like a gentleman, a hooligan or anything in between depending on how you feel. All you need is an updated exhaust to complete the hooligan experience.

cgt000, F456M, niftyfivefifty and 2 others like this.
  13. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    See I was right .....(I should add not everybody feels that way so you might get that ride Good Luck)
    Two up in SF Bay Area I'm sure you will fine one around here ..Hope so !
    Let us know what you think I'm sure you will love it !!

14. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Tarek,

I have one in the shop for service right now. Your welcome to come and look at it and i can answer questions. Not my car so wont be able to let you drive it though.

Craig

wbklink and Tarek307 like this.
  15. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #15 root, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Tarek307 likes this.
  16. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    So guys i got to drive one today, not for too long just up and down the street for about 10mins, (it was a dealer so i didn't want to waste their time) .but my initial thoughts are that maybe its not for me? It felt heavy and lacking in the sound dept..i guess maybe with V8 Mid engine ferraris i've had and my 911's i'm more of a sports car guy that a Grand Tourer guy.. Its also possible i didn't drive it long enough, but when i got in my 98 911C2S afterwards i realized maybe the 550 just isn't for me..the "smile" factor wasn't there..but again this car is a GT sports "executive style" car so i should have expected that..

I may still get one and would still like to at least ride in one with an actual 550 owner.

17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    You lost me now.... Enjoy your 911.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Tarek307 You might check out a few of the videos by @niftyfivefifty he has Fabio's exhaust and its sounds ALIVE.

@Tarek307 We should have asked....did you drive the "well loved" blu TdF at Sheehan's?

Tarek307 likes this.
  19. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Hey Tarek! Love the post! Think you will really love the 550 although quite a change from the mid engines. All your thoughts on the car are the same I had initially untill I got a real chance to take it out. It was a blast! The car is alive and provides a dinamic driving experience. Knew you would come back to the gated shifter though! Great idea of getting into one. Call Carl at Blackhorse, I believe he has two and just let him know your plans, he's cool and I'm sure he is good with it. If you do end up getting one, I want a ride in it!

Tarek307 likes this.
  20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I'll check that place out, thanks

21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Coming from a Viper, that's how I felt, but figured it out after buying the car. The 575M is a silent, soft & big GT car in stock form (nearly 4000lbs).

I have since done a complete exhaust; coilovers; bigger & stickier tires; and corner balanced the car. This transformed the 575M to what I was expecting: exhaust note, tons of grip, firm suspension and significantly quicker. I dropped 150lbs off the car and the 60-130 times are down by 1.6 seconds.

hwyman and 550nitis like this.
  22. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    550 is a car that grows on you more and more the longer you have it. When I swapped my 430 for it I was on the fence but after owning it a year now I love it. I own a Murci and a few 911's and the 550 is the sweet spot. It has the comfort, handling and visibility of the 911 with the flare of an Italian exotic. Not quite the drama of the Murci but that's a plus sometimes. My wifes always loved my Porsches (minus the tuned aircooled ones on carbs) but the 550 is now her favorite. Having a manual V12 is also something unique. I know its not the fastest rip roaring beast on the road but that's fine by me. When Im cruising in my 550 all is well in the world.

white out, LVP488, root and 4 others like this.
  23. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thanks guys, i decided to just keep the 458 it has been parked at my friends house for 2 monthswith plans of him buying it, but i think i'll just take it back and enjoy it a bit longer , maybe put a few K more miles on it before selling if i feel like it.