Anyone dealt with Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone dealt with Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Dragster, Jun 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    What are you going to do with that...rent it for 1000.00/week?

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Believe price is somewhere north of $25K!

Hey Tom, that wouldn't be so bad a place to be <grin> Right next to the YF-12/SR-71...

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I bought mine there and would concur. Steve Barney probably still does more Ferrari than Lambo due to his experience with the marque.

+1

+1

Tom Jones (the tech, not the singer) is 'ferrarioldman' on this site, IIRC. He did the major on my 328 when I bought it in '05. Car has run flawlessly.

It feels odd to deal with a Lambo dealership for Ferrari, but they are the real deal.

4. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Good Morning,

My name is Hank Carpenter and I'm in Sales at Foreign Cars Italia. I just wanted to jump in here and let you guys know that if you ever need any help with a Ferrari, please give me a call. I have a 1997 355 GTB and have worked with these guys for 1 year. I was a client for over 7 years before coming to work here. I've purchased about 10 cars from Foreign Cars Italia and it has always been a pleasurable experience. My wife used to always tell me what a great job this would be for me because of my passion for cars. She was right!!! I've been reading the comments here and I just wanted to say that I feel we have The Finest Ferrari Dealership in the Country right here in Greensboro, NC!!! Are we perfect....??? NO... Is anyone...??? I'm sure if you put this question out there for any Dealership, you will get both positive and negative responses. That's just how it is. We take a lot of pride in our Dealership and we do our best to serve our clients and give them the service they expect! I will be here to personally take care of each and everyone that would like to call me or email me... 336-516-3855 (cell) 336-294-0200 (office)
    I hope to see you guys at all the upcoming events and I'm sure I met some of you at VIR in May at The Challenge Race. Take care and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
    Thanks!
    Hank Carpenter
    [email protected]

5. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Good Morning,

My name is Hank Carpenter and I'm in Sales at Foreign Cars Italia. I just wanted to jump in here and let you guys know that if you ever need any help with a Ferrari, please give me a call. I have a 1997 355 GTB and have worked with these guys for 1 year. I was a client for over 7 years before coming to work here. I've purchased about 10 cars from Foreign Cars Italia and it has always been a pleasurable experience. My wife used to always tell me what a great job this would be for me because of my passion for cars. She was right!!! I've been reading the comments here and I just wanted to say that I feel we have The Finest Ferrari Dealership in the Country right here in Greensboro, NC!!! Are we perfect....??? NO... Is anyone...??? I'm sure if you put this question out there for any Dealership, you will get both positive and negative responses. That's just how it is. We take a lot of pride in our Dealership and we do our best to serve our clients and give them the service they expect! I will be here to personally take care of each and everyone that would like to call me or email me... 336-516-3855 (cell) 336-294-0200 (office)
    I hope to see you guys at all the upcoming events and I'm sure I met some of you at VIR in May at The Challenge Race. Take care and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
    Thanks!
    Hank Carpenter
    [email protected]

6. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Good to see a response from you Hank. :)

7. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Hank,
    Thanks for be willing to chime in. Just a few comments:
    1) All the sales and service people I have ever met at FCI I really like. When I bring my Porsche in for service, I always browse and look at all the "eye candy"; I have great conversations with the sales people. Virtually all appear very knowledgeable. When I was in the market for an exotic car, you guys always were willing to let me test drive anything...I really appreciate this, as I would never buy a car, no matter what it is, without test driving it first.
    2) I have had a few problems in the past with follow-up, when I have told someone that I was interested in a car and never heard from them again. I sortof assumed that this was a supply and demand issue...lots of demand not a lot of reason to spend much time on supply. Two of the people I dealt with during the past 2 years have since left the dealership.
    3) Unlike some dealerships, such as Flow Lexus and Flow BMW, scheduling an appt for service requires contacting a "specific" person, who does not seem to have any assistant or secretarial help. At Flow BMW, you have many people capable of scheduling your appt and loaner car. Never need to leave a voicemail in expectation of a return call. However, I should say the service work at FCI is always superb and the service people very pleasant.
    4) It appears to me that some of the above issues at FCI could be related to not enough personnel.
    5) All exotic car dealerships are measured by a different yardstick than the rest. You pay more and you expect more...I know sometimes this translates into unrealistic expectations, but you and I both know that this is simply reality.

These are just some of my thoughts. Some of this may or may not be applicable to Ferrari service, but I have heard similar issues and comments from Ferrari owners. Please feel free to contact me, I will be glad to discuss this with you (or anyone at FCI): 718-3748. As I said earlier, overall I think FCI does a "good" job, but there is some room for improvement.
    Scott

8. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    First, I have never had any real dealing with FCI (I probed about a car once, but that was 3 years ago, and they did answer all my questions).

Second, in defense of FCI, I think it is harder to be a "certified" dealer. From what I understand, there is a significant overhead. Plus, you have plenty of people who want cheap service from a marque that is known for very high part prices and very specialized technical experience. Combine that with cars that are high strung and treated to with a mixture of care and abuse, and you are brewing a stew that is going to be tough to swallow.

Third, and now I am speaking in the hypothetical, if I were to drive several hours (or even 15 minutes) to a dealership to purchase a car (when I offered to put down a deposit) and said car was sold when I arrived, I would be tee'd off. And I'd probably never go back. 'Nuff said about that.

Fourth, I can tell you that I have become a regular customer of Duncan Audi in Roanoke because I have yet to have a bad experience. Sure, I have bought 3 new cars from them, and sent others that have purchased also. But they treated me well from the first time I called, before that history. I know the sales guy and the service manager by name. If there is a real pinch, they go out of their way to take care of the problem. They tell me up-front what the deal is. That has made me a loyal customer.

5th (can you tell I've had a beer or two???): I have found that in most dealerships, the service departments and sales departments are essentially different businesses within the same walls. They answer to different people, and they have separate budgets. So (1) just because you buy a car from a dealership, it doesn't mean that the service department will know you from a vagrant farm worker and (2) just because you have had your car serviced there, it doesn't follow that you have done the salesman any favors.

6th: Also in defense of ALL exotic dealers, no matter how well-off I think I may be, there are guys who have deep, deep, DEEP pockets that I can only dream about. In other words, me buying a car from a dealer makes me a customer, but not necessarily a good customer.

And finally - I swear this is it - dealerships are businesses. They exist to make money, not to make you happy. The people who work there have to take some of your money home to feel their kids. And yes, put them through college. That being said, some folks refuse to let this compromise their ethics, others are less concerned. The bigger the dealer, the more likely there is a bad apple in the bunch. If you have any problems, I recommend you go to the top for a solution. If you still have a problem, Then you should probably go elsewhere.

Thanks for speaking up Hank, good to know an enthusiastic contact at FCI.

9. Jati

Jati Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    Florida &amp; NC
    Full Name:
    Joe G.
    I've purchased two cars from FCI. My first was a 355 Spider and recently I bought a V8 Vantage.

My experiences have been good. Keith is a nice guy and Lawrence (although perpetually busy) is cool too....He looks like a slightly older Tiger Woods.
    Pricing wise, they are not the cheapest guys on the block, but they always have a nice inventory of well-sorted cars...And will work to gain your business where they can.
    I would have NO problem dealing with them in the future.

To be a bit critical, I would say that they are use to patient & known buyers and do not always respond quickly, when in fact, at times..they should. Unfortunately they have missed my money on several purchases simply because of this.

My .02, Joe

10. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    The 90-year-old man said to his doctor, "I've never felt better. I have an 18-year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. What do you think about that?"

The doctor considered his question for a minute and then said,"I have an elderly friend who is a hunter and never misses a season. One day when he was going out in a bit of a hurry, he accidentally picked up his umbrella instead of his gun. When he got to the creek, he saw a beaver sitting beside the stream. He raised his umbrella and went,'bang, bang' and the beaver fell dead. What do you think of that?"

The 90-year-old said, "I'd say somebody else shot that beaver."

The doctor replied, "My point exactly."

11. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all the good and not-so-good comments about FCI! We are always open to any and all suggestions to improve our Dealership. I think all of you will agree that being a franchise Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati and Aston Martin Dealer takes a lot of great employees to keep everything running smoothly and it's also very demanding to make sure that all of our clients are well taken care of. We are not, nor will we ever be "satisfied" with the way things run at FCI. We are always striving to improve. Based on the comments from just this thread, we are working towards making scheduling service and actually talking to someone about your problems a little easier. If you ever just feel like your not getting anywhere with service or sales, please give me a call! I will do everything I can to get your problem resolved.
    Thanks again and please keep your comments and suggestions coming!
    Hank Carpenter
    Sales
    "Building Relationships, One Client At A Time!"

12. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Hank,
    It takes a real man (or woman) to make these comments and not be offended by constructive criticism. Thanks for listening and not taking it personally. Now tell me about that F430.....
    Scott

13. luvnhp

luvnhp Rookie

Dec 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Brian Syphard
    My car is in for service now! So far so good and the staff has been more than nice (Keith, Lawrence, Hank and Matt in service). I had fun with the guys at the Ferrari Challenge at VIR as well. I have purchased an F430 and 997TT from them in the last six months in the colors and specs. that I wanted.

14. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Scott,

What can I tell you about the F430...??? Are you looking for a Coupe or Spider...??? Call me if you would like... I'm here today until 7:00 pm!

Hank
    336-294-0200 Office
    336-516-3855

15. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Well, I must say that I gave Hank a call and stopped by the dealership today...I can say that if you are in the market for a Ferrari, give this man a chance. He is himself a Ferrari owner and very knowledgeable of the cars. I don't think he would assume anything about anyone and simply enjoys showing the cars. It is great to have 2 options in our area...Sport Auto and FCI!

16. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #41 DrStranglove, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Oh I have that one beat!

I came back from the War in November 2005 and promptly sent the 348 in for service at Sport Auto. They got it done around the 22nd of December but I could not go get it despite really wanting to get some driving time in. as family turned in due to the holiday I off handedly mentioned that I would be going through GB on the 25th, Christmas.

So on the 24th my brother answers the phone and says, "It's someone, says his name is Steve and its about your car...?"

"!!!!!" I think, what could have happened the Steve is calling me at noon on Christmas eve?? "Hello...?" "Merry Christmas! Tom said you may be in town tomorrow morning so if you want I will open the shop and you can pick up the car then... Say 9:00?"

I could not believe it. Steve Barney, Father and Grandfather with a house full of kids, called my home to tell me he would open his doors to let me have my baby back on Christmas Morning. I don’t know how to beat that for service!

When I got there Steve showed up and in about five minuets so did three or four cops! They love Steve and wanted to make sure nothing was wrong at his shop on Christmas day!

Here is a pic from that day as taken by one of the cops. You cant beat Steve and Tom. They get all my service and always will.

As for FCI, my opinion is well known here. In short, they refused to ever return my calls when I was in the market for the 348 so I had to go to Ferrari of Atlanta (Didn't know about Steve then. :( ) They also showed an amazing tendency to lie to me about parts when I dared to go back. Back then I was 33 and looked about 25 so maybe I was just too young looking to be taken seriously. However, now that I am older and about to get back in to buying mood (f360 baby! Even if it goes over my $100k toy money limit.) Steve will get my money. He and Tom earned it and continue to earn it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Scott,

Thanks for the compliments! It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope you'll stop by more often!

Take care!

Hank Carpenter

18. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Dr. Stranglove,

I can appreciate your compliments of Steve Barney and Sport Auto. I like all the guys there and agree that they do a great job!
    I wish you would tell me who at FCI you were dealing with...? Who were you talking to that didn't return your calls...??? That's what needs to be said!! We can't go back and change the way you were treated but we can try to prevent it in the future! I'm trying very hard to just get all these things out in the open and then we can deal with them one at a time. I feel that we have one of the best "Sales Teams" we've ever had right now but, if we have someone that is not following up or calling people back, we need to know it!
    Thanks very much for your feedback!

Hank Carpenter
    Sales
    Foreign Cars Italia
    [email protected]

19. Uconn Mike

Uconn Mike Rookie

Aug 11, 2005
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    #44 Uconn Mike, Jul 3, 2007
    In the past 3 years, I have purchased 3 Ferrari's from FCI. My first purchase in 2004, was a 1997 355 Spyder. I walked into the old Greensboro dealership in dirty jeans and a t-shirt and Vic Beaver treated me like royalty.

Unfortunately, the car was a complete lemon. Lawrence took this car back several times during the first year and put no less than $15,000 worth of repairs without charging me a dime.

14 months later, I bought a 1998 355 Spyder-the car was awesome-not one problem. I was given a very respectable trade-in allowance and Lawrence gave me a good deal on the "98" based on my bad experience with the "97".

Last September I purchased a 2003 360 Spyder. Lawrence bent over backwards to make the numbers work and based on my comparisons with other dealers throughout the country, I believe I got a great deal.

In all of my dealings with Lawrence, Vic (who was an awesome salesman-he's no longer there) and Matt in service, they have treated me with kindness and respect.

When my son Enzo was born 21 months ago, they made it a big deal. Yes, no one is perfect and they have made their share of mistakes. I do respect them for the way they have treated me in the short time I've done business with them. I'm looking forward to trading for a 430 in the next couple of months and hopefully at some point, an Enzo for my Enzo would be awesome.
    The little boy really understands what it's all about:

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#45 Ricambi America, Jul 3, 2007

Enzo and Luca should meet. They are the same age, and as this picture shows, already has the genuine steering wheel for your son's car:

21. Uconn Mike

Uconn Mike Rookie

Aug 11, 2005
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    Hey Jack,
    Good looking boy! Nice steering wheel. Both of our sons our luckier than they could ever imagine.
    Mike...

22. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Mike,

When you get ready for the 430, please give me a call!!! Thanks also for posting. We are working very hard to give everyone the service they expect and we will continue to make improvements everyday! Please give me a call and we can talk about the F430's we have coming in in the next few months... Have a great 4th of July!

Hank Carpenter
    336-294-0200 office
    336-516-3855 cell
    [email protected]

23. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

It was back in 2002 2003 when you refused to sell to me. There is a thread here or in old Fchat if you wish to look it up about both times. I bought the 348 less than 6 months later from FoA.

24. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    DrStranglove,

Again, who were you dealing with or talking to at FCI...?? You say when "you" refused to sell me one... I can't imagine any car dealer "refusing" to sell someone a car!?! I wasn't there then so I know it wasn't me. I'm just trying to figure out "the name" of the person you met or talked to. Do you remember...? I'm not trying to call anyone out or get anyone in trouble, they might not even still be there! My point is, you can't condem everyone for one persons actions, or lack of in this case... That's all!

Thanks!

Hank Carpenter
    [email protected]

25. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Does this mean ya'll recently put in orders recently? I'm just curious because I dad recently spec'ed out his 430, but Lawrence didn't know when Ferrari would call for FCI to put the orders in. My dad has the same name as I do...

Thanks!
    Robert Whitener