Anyone dealt with Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC? | FerrariChat

Anyone dealt with Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Dragster, Jun 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Just curious as to what your thoughts are regarding sales/service here as it's the closest dealership to me.

2. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    My experience only involves a Porsche Cayenne. I would say they are a good, not a great dealership. From my talks with a couple of Ferrari owners, that seems to be their experience as well. Probably the best service I have ever had was from the local Flow BMW. With FCI, I find it difficult to get in touch with the service person, not particularly easy to schedule an appt., and at least 1 loaner car I received was a rental Suzuki (for a Cayenne Turbo!)...don't want to sound elitist, but this would have never happened at the Flow Lexus or Flow BMW. But sometimes it is still best to play ball with the local boys...just remember that the squeaky wheel will get the grease! With great dealerships you don't have to squeak, but with average to good dealerships you sometimes need to make some noise.

3. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the reply! I had this problem as well... At the time I just had some questions to ask as far as service prices, etc, but it took about a week to finally get in touch with the guy. The person in sales that I talked to never called me back like he said he would... I ended up calling Ferrari of Atlanta in the meantime and had a MUCH better experience. I had all my questions answered and more in the first phone call by someone that seemed to really have his stuff together. I wouldn't say my experience at FCI was BAD per se, but I was somewhat turned off by the place as a result. Just curious to see if it was just an isolated incident or if it's been like this for everyone.

Anyone have experience with Ferrari of Atlanta?

4. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Although I have not bought a car from Sport Auto, I really like the way they treat their customers. Prior to purchasing my Ford GT, I test drive one of their Lambo Gallardos. Very professional, down-to-earth, stay in touch with you kinda of people. I really wanted to buy a car from them...they just didn't have the car I wanted! But they do deal in a lot of Ferraris and Lambos. And I hear from others on this forum that their service dept. is "choice"!

5. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    +1

Russell

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i was treated terribly at the charlotte location and was given ZERO respect or consideration because i was "pre-qualified" at the door. my daily driver was in the shop and i was in a rental car. i asked the salesman for help in service for one of my cars and he simply said we don't service those cars and really walked away.

i said, look you asshat, i am a multi-ferrari and porsche owner. i expected you to provide me some guidance and at least a contact at the greensboro facility where they do work on 512's. i will litterally work hard to see that none of my friends nor i will ever buy a car form fci!

do yourself a favor and work w/ steve barney @ sport auto. he is a gentleman and ferrari blue blood. tom jones is also a true ferrari lover as well as an expert technician. you should see his tool boxes...he may have had the option as a nasa scientist...he is that methodical!

good luck

pcb

7. mtense

mtense Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Hickory, NC
    Full Name:
    Trey Ely
    Yeah I haven't heard to much good about FCI. From all that I hear, they only cater to owners of newer F-cars, other than that they generally shun other people. Although it's hours away from NC, Ferrari of Atlanta seemed like quite a nice dealership. We stopped by there once after Petit Le Mans 2005, and the sales staff in the showroom were extremely friendly. It sounds like the folks at Sport Auto are similar to the FofA guys in that respect.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OT: YES!! The team at Flow BMW absolutely gets an A+ in my book. Mrs. JRR and I always recieve fantastic service there. Well priced, great communication, etc. etc. I'll also add Flow MINI into the A+ category too, having recently bought a Cooper to replace the crappy old Ricambi Saturn.

9. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    do you remember the sales persons name at the charlotte location, I have only had good experiences... sorry to hear that, they seem a bit overpriced imo

10. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    I have been gooing to FCI for 10 years with my father and have never had a bad experience the guys over there are always friendly. My experience's have only been at the old greensboro sotre and the new greensboro store. ive never had a negative experience. Lawrence is always willing to bend over backwards for a customer to get them whatever they need. i myself love gooing in there jsut stoping buy and talking with the guys. but these are jsut my experiences. Of course i have been to Sport Auto many tiems and they are terrific aswell steve and the guys always great to help you into what u need. They are a no bs dealership and tell u exactly what is up with each car. All around i love both dealerships and find both places terrific establishments.

11. mtense

mtense Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Hickory, NC
    Full Name:
    Trey Ely
    Yeah, I definitely agree here. We bought my mom's old E39 528iAT (our first BMW) from them and I remember a salesmen by the name of Wolfgang Schneeberger driving the car up the mountain to meet us and give us not only the car, but also a couple of BMW shirts and hats. It was just one of those small things, but it showed a level of courtesy that we had not experienced prior to that. Our local BMW dealer (Hendrick BMW/Mercedes in Hickory) is getting ready to go through some major changes, and it sounds like we'll be losing our BMW dealer. So from now on, we'll have to go to Flow BMW for parts, etc. which is perfectly fine by me.

12. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Except if they sell the car you just drove 3 hours to buy(knowing you are on the way and didn't want a deposit)..... or selling you a car that was in a previous wreck without acknowledging it. No BS there! Beyond that I've had no issues, and they've never been rude to me.

The consensus seems to be Sport Auto though.

The BMW dealer in Asheville (Fletcher BMW) is the same as Flow. They will literally bend over backwards. Daniel I want to see a picture of your Mini!!

13. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Was that at Sport Auto? What did they do to rectify the situation?

14. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    no no no FCI.....and nothing on the first and bought it back on the second

I was saying everyone seems to like Sport Auto.

15. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    #15 BrianC, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tom Jones at Sport Auto has done service for me for several years on both a 328 and 355. He is wonderful! He's an honest, down-to-earth guy. It's well worth the trip from Charlotte to have him do the work. Prices are competitive, and he gets your car back in a reasonable time frame.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Only in a Ferrari service area would you see the lead mechanic in a button up shirt and khakis ;) In my brief and rather limited experience in the Ferrari community, Tom Jones is probably the most knowledgeable person that I have had the pleasure of meeting. In addition to that, he is also a genuinely great guy to talk to and I can't see how you can go wrong with Sport Auto, at least on the service side.

17. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    And thank you, Tom, for referring excess and newer model work to us! <grin>

-Peter

18. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones

19. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Uh oh... Karl, Tom and I... THis thread has just headed downhill fast!

What's that joke about old Ferrari mechanics? <grin>

21. ActionFigure

ActionFigure Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    Cary NC
    Full Name:
    Matt

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#22 Ricambi America, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Heh heh.. I'll bet it's not as cool as the one I have:

23. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Whatever happened to the good ole stethoscope and multimeter? ;)

24. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    They are in the Smithsonian (just like Karl and Peter will be soon).

25. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Tom has returned my irritating calls on a Sunday to help me get my car running. Anybody ever heard of service better than that?