Any way to avoid windshield registration stickers on a non-vintage car? | FerrariChat

Any way to avoid windshield registration stickers on a non-vintage car?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by gengar, Mar 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gengar

gengar Rookie

Mar 2, 2008
    In the process of moving one of my out-of-state cars to Texas and I'm just wondering if there is any way to avoid having to put registration/inspection stickers on the windshield. I get a lot of requests for photo shoots and displays at shows (and even one movie!) so was hoping to keep the windshield clear. I know that some other states allow registration as show cars or limited mileage cars; I searched the forum here but could only find info as far as vintage cars. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You must register any and every vehicle that will be driven in Texas if it resides here and will be driven on public highways (a simple two lane road is deemed as a highway here). A "classic" automobile does not need an emissions test so no sticker. Also if the car IS registered the sticker must be properly attached to the windshield or it can be considered fraudulent which could lead to impounding the vehicle.

Also I believe a non-registered vehicle could lead to insurance issues, better safe than sorry.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I keep my Shell Parking windshield passes on a sheet of clear mylar the size of the pass..

I stick it on with spit to get into the Plant.

I don't think LEO would even notice the "removable" nature of the transparent film.
    Kinko's has it in 11 x 17 sheets, or rip it of a report cover from the drugstore school supplies

4. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Just don't put it on. I got my car up in NY several months ago and registered it there and only have a temp registration that expired I took off the window. Never had any problems yet so far. I'd just toss it in the glove box in case your pulled over and can play dumb "oops i forgot to put it on when it came i the mail". Or screw up the sticker part so it can't go on so you can say your "waiting for a replacement".

5. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    #5 B.Ratcliff, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You do not have to put a registration sticker on your windshield.

In Texas you can register a 25 year or older car with a small metal plate (DMV supplied) that holds a small registration sticker. It screws onto one of the license plate bolts. There is no window sticker involved. It renews every 5 years. No inspection sticker required.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    True but gengar has not mentioned if it is a classic or not. A simple call to the DMV would clear up any questions or concerns and it is always wiser to 'err on the side of caution'.

Too BigTex,
    I'm certain your technique works fine and for myself I would not have an issue with that but there are those LEO's who are strictly by the book.

7. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    I agree.

If it is newer then 25 yrs, I would put a sticker on it.

I guess it depends on what you think looks worse. The sticker on the windshield or the scratches from the wrecker hook from when they impound it:)

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    From my personal experience throughout the years (many years ago) I have experienced the eagle eye of LEO's and had too ask myself "How the hell did they see my reg/insp sticker was expired from way over there or in the night!"

My meaning is that any properly stickered motor vehicle in accordance with the Texas state law will clearly display two windshield stickers which is very very visable, unless it is a classic WITH classic plates. So on that note would someone want too take the chance of just the hassle of being pulled over numerous times in one 24hr period for not having what we LEO's call "An improperly displayed tag". That is why license plates must be fully legible without a holder obscureing any part of the plates information.

Once again if the vehicle has up to date registration and insurance the discretion will be the officers aswell as how the offender reacts. Alittle advice about Texas for the OP, a "Yes sir, Yes mam or Yes officer" work wonders here ;) .

9. gengar

gengar Rookie

Mar 2, 2008
    Just to clarify, I am going to register the car in Texas. The question in my OP was in regards to registering the car but manage the registration/inspection stickers in such a way that maybe I can remove them without destroying them so that my car can still be used in photo shoots / shows / movies / etc. I'm definitely not going to bring the car here without registering it.

This was a consideration as a backup plan, as I already do this on my DD for a parking sticker that is supposed to be on the windshield (I attach the sticker to a transparency, available at any office supply store, and affix it to the windshield with a velcro adhesive patch so I can remove the transparency at any time; this way, I just have a little velcro patch on the windshield instead of a huge annoying sticker).

In the case of the car in my OP, I wouldn't even mind a more permanent solution (like adhesive rather than velcro) and leaving the stickers on all the time I'm driving it so long as I can remove the stickers without destroying them for the occasional photo shoot / show / movie. I do understand that legislation is often written specifically to prevent removing stickers, because big gov is worried about people using the same registration stickers on different cars. I guess I'm just surprised there's no rule for show cars as in other states.

As I mention in the thread title, this is a not a vintage car. As far as calling DPS, I have registered cars in 5 states now and I would hardly consider employees at any of the various depts/bureaus I've dealt with to be knowledgeable of the law - I figured it's more productive to try and see if anyone has gone through the same process, although it looks like most of the posters here just deal with the stickers.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #10 texasmr2, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    Understood but I said the DMV not the DPS ;) or you could just do the research yourself since you found certain depts ignorant and there is the saying that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" so then you could only blame yourself for your ticket or impoundment.

The sticker is so small I do not understand why it is such an issue for you, it is just a car. A simple Photochop could alleviate your concerns, good luck.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don;t even need velco, the static and a little dried moisture hold it fine, cut tight to the stickers edge I doubt anyone would even notice.

Good discussion on the Classic License Tags (if 25 y.o. vehicle ) but so many LEOs are quick to spin in the median and pull you over I avoid that and run normal tags.

It's one of the few normal things I do, anyway!!! :D :D :D

12. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    To locate Texas traffic/vehicle laws (and all other Texas statutes).

Use: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

Use the drop down menu, then click on:

Code: Transportation Code

Chapter: Chapters 501 and after

Section: pick your section topic

You may not find your specific answer, but this will cover about 99.9% of traffic and vehicle issues in Texas.

If it doesn't say there is an exception that will allow you to do something, you probably can't.

I agree with texasmr2. Best policy is don't do something to draw attention to you, or your car, and you will find it easier to live a quiet peaceful (less expensive) life with Texas law enforcement.

DRG

13. BillEllison

BillEllison Karting

Oct 16, 2011
    Conroe, Tx
    Full Name:
    Bill Ellison
    AGREED!

14. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I think you really have two issues associated with the window sticker situation. If you are bringing a car from out of state you will have to get it inspected and be able to provide a "green sheet" (which is actually white) to the DMV in order to register the car in TX. I seriously doubt the state certified inspection station is going to give you an inspection sticker that you can put on plastic or apply to your windshield in any other fashion other than having them put it on the car. I believe that is part of their certification and they will have to apply the sticker to the lower left inside of the windshield. You might be able to work with the license sticker from the DMV, but I doubt the inspection agent will do anything other than put the sticker on the windshield.

15. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    If you have cars registered in 5 states, you probably have homes or at least addresses in those states. Just keep the car registered in that state and not transfer it to Texas.

All my sports cars carry PA plates because I do not have to inspect them in my county and they only have a back plate.

My truck is still registered in Texas.

My wife's car and my DD is in Colorado.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are easily peeled, when new and hot on a sunny afternoon...

And maybe a Pentecostal Handshake with a donation to the Technicians Retirement Fund would work....

17. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Put the sticker on a piece of clear static cling and post it in the windshield...then remove when needed.

18. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I recently bought some clear plastic cling film on eBay.

One side is more "clingy" than the other. The "clingy" side is attached to paper that has to be removed before using it.

I attached my Texas windshield registration sticker and Texas toll tag sticker to the less "clingy" side, and then trimmed the film to match the stickers.

The plastic cling film easily sticks to the windshield and appears the same as attaching the stickers directly to the windshield.

I also installed clear 3M Crystalline film on the inside of the windshield to reduce the interior solar heat. The 3M Crystalline film works great to reduce the solar heat and with the cling film I don't have to worry about damaging the solar film to remove the stickers.

The cling film also allowed me to place the registration sticker lower on the windshield and out of the line of sight from the drivers seat.

The cling film doesn't appear to be detectable from outside the car.

So far I have not had the opportunity to see if it passes LE scrutiny.
    I don't use a front license plate, so I may have the opportunity sooner than later.

If anyone wants to try it, PM or email me your mailing address and I will send you a piece (until I run out).

Jerry

19. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Antique registration. Car has to be 25 years or older. No inspection. No sticker. $50 for FIVE YEARS. Google for more info...

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Plus a COOL license plate!