Any Mondial T Performance upgrades? | FerrariChat

Any Mondial T Performance upgrades?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Challenge64, Apr 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    DON'T LAUGH!!!!

We all know the Mondial is about as slow as a Ferrari can get...but lets work on getting it faster!!

OK...Ive got a Mondial T..Its got a 348 engine and about 300 hp.

So what can we do?

Airfilters? Exhaust? Chip it? Mad Max Blower?

2. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I guess you have never heard of the Mondial 8! I dont think the Mondial T is a slow car by any standard. Remember that it is a 2+2 from the late 80's and early 90's that is as fast as a period 5 liter Mustang.

3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Lol..yea..A Mondial 8 is slower...and all the 1980-82 308s are all victims of the EPA....Sad...but they're all still cool cars..no matter how slow.

My advice to my wife has been to not drag race anyone for pink slips...but to just wiggle her poker nose at the competition letting them all wonder how badly they would have "lost" had she tried.

4. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    Ron,
    Lets start with custom straight pipes from the cats back:) I know it will sound awesome,free up a few ponies and get rid of some weight.

5. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I had a Ford Focus try and race my GTB today. We were both at the light and we took off slowly then he hammered it. Now this car might have a turbo or something and it might run 12's but soon it was obvious that it was not fast at all. I thought....should I race him? I decided not to, what do I have to prove? I would have beat a teenager in a Focus. Its not worth it.

My advice to my wife has been to not drag race anyone for pink slips...but to just wiggle her poker nose at the competition letting them all wonder how badly they would have "lost" had she tried.[/QUOTE]

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Hyper-Flow Cats. The 348 Spider or TPS or other performance chips. K&N air filter. Remove the 4 screens on the 2 MAFs. NGK spark plugs and coil-on-plug ignition.

Lighter wheels. Red Line engine and transmission oils. Slick shift gate for the tranny.

7. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    All of the above...plus a Tubi does improve.

8. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

PS. The T fares very well against other 4 seater cabriolets from 1989.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Except 911 Turbo Cab......

10. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    ahhh, but can the 911 hold a full set of golf clubs and weekend luggage for 4 ?

11. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The proper upgrade for a Mondial T is a 456.

Ken

12. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Wasn't aware they did a cabriolet.
    Now a 612 Scag could be interesting.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    In addition to what others have said, ported throttle bodies can get you 5hp.

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sure, there is such thing as a 456 cabriolet. I have seen a few.

Oh, by the way. I have tried the "straight pipes" on a 3.4 and there is no power to be had there.

It seems as if the Borla exhaust makes the most power after my "exhaustive" testing.

Most computer chips will only offer a handfull of power. Maximize your current tune and you may gain more than a computer chip can offer. I dont have anything against chips, but this platform hardly gains from the use of one. But to each his own.

Some good suggestions are posted above.

Oh, one more thing... A Mondial t is not too slow. Mine at least ran a 13.9 @ 107 MPH at the drag strip. I figure any car in the 13's is pretty peppy. Now when comparing that to my 11 second Porsche...

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    No, but with a Tubi, the sound is even better than with cats...

16. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I did most of this (no coil-on ignition, certainly) and I felt -- and measured -- little performance gain. Search for the Mondial t dyno run on Tech Q&A. The chips added only 3% torque across most of the RPM range BUT I will say that cold start has improved substantially. No sputtering. Redline in the gearbox helped cold 1-2-3 shifts substantially. This is all in the category of driveability, though, not performance.

When the weather gets warmer, the even more timing-advanced chips and the K&N will go in at the same and I'll re-dyno.

Patmandu likes this.
  17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Tubi, test pipes and a chip.....a bit more hp, alot less weight and a grrreaat sound. You could probably do wheels, tires and brakes as well. I promise that I won't dong you for not being original!

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    lol...thanks!

19. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    I hope your not going to dong anyone Ingenere! Damn man. :)