Any Mondial owners working on Project cars? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Any Mondial owners working on Project cars?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Aug 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    BTW Mike, Is there a suitcase in the back section of all your cars? :):)

You own the company so you just need a wine cooler. Your sales people need the suitcase :):)

Cheers,

Hank

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hankie baby, this explains my love for suitcases! ...Truer in my younger years!

Cheers
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0janfcZ8LUw[/ame]

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #78 soucorp, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both seats all back in and bolted on. Got my new fuel pump tested, it works, to be installed today. New spark plugs ready to go, old ones looked pretty bad. And got my prized badge from Chinetti International Motors Greenwich Connecticut with the sweet looking Cavallino with matching keychain. Ok ok, I know its not an F car, but it looks really really good on that Midget grille! I love the lil details, ... Get my windscreen today also custom cut, should be sweet!

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #79 soucorp, Sep 12, 2012
  5. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow Mike, really coming along nicely!
    I had a Boxster S before and the rear plexiglass wind blocker made a huge difference inside the car from a wind and noise standpoint.
    The Midget looks like it came with it.
    Cheers,
    Greg

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #81 soucorp, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks Greg... I've had 4 convertibles with wind blockers, they do work and keeps the wind and noise down in the cabin area!
    ... Well, last night I replaced the fuel pump but theres a bad connection somewhere, no juice... working on it..

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #82 soucorp, Sep 13, 2012
    Yesterday I replaced my 69 Midget with a new Facet electric fuel pump. When plugged to the battery, works like a charm, when I use the old wires from where it was connected, dead no juice even with key in ignition. I tested the old fuel pump and it started working also if connected directly to the battery. Also I have no power to the radio, wipers work, heater blower does not, directional lights work for a bit along with hazard light but I have not tried to start the engine yet until the fuel pump works and I put in gas.

Anyone have any ideas and is this a common problem with these cars?
    I will clean the fuse box tonight to see if it helps, also I think the fuel pump power is directly from the ignition key not fuse box so I will trace that path as well.
    thanks.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    One might say it's a common problem with all old cars :)

Fuse box is a good place to start, a lot of those old simple ones just need a cleaning up. Don't forget to pull out the ohm meter. You can check the fuses, sometimes they are bad when they look good. Also if it is the glass fuses you can use the ohm meter on each fuse while in place but do it at the fuse holder metal. That will tell you if you have resistence or an open. If you do this before pulling any fuses out you'll get both tests in one. The fun of old cars. I don't know if those cars have relays or not for the fuel pump. A bad earth on a relay could cause the fuel pump problem.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #84 soucorp, Sep 14, 2012
    Thanks PV, fuse box is fine, I had to change some fuses after checking with volt meter.
    This 69 uses only 2 main fuses meaning 1 controls power with ignition key and one does not and always have power. The fuel pump has no relay, it gets power from a white wire from ignition key that branches off to the fusebox. From the looks of things, the PO did a hack job on wiring under the dash. I will rewire it this weekend when I have more time but I do think its related to the main connection under the dash that might have come loose and not getting power to the fuel pump in the rear.

cheers...

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #85 soucorp, Sep 15, 2012
    UPDATE:

It was obvious if I paid attention. I bought this 69 MKIII Midget (Negative ground 12v) car from my neighbor who sold it to me as is with no battery and it has not run in over a year but garaged kept and covered. So when I bought a new battery for the car, I assume the red was + and the black cable was neg -, wrong!!! rookie mistake, no wonder nothing worked like it should. After staring at the firewall, it hit me, why the hell is the positive cable bolted to the body, I reverse the battery hook up, and -finally the radio worked, fuel pump started clicking after key in ignition, signals and hazard lights worked. I was banging my head for a week wondering why my ground was live thinking I have a short in the wiring.

Lesson learned, what you see is not always what's suppose to be....
    (red cable - black cable +) I will repaint it tomorrow so I don't live in the Bizzaro world again! I fixed a ripped dash and rewired the radio, now its all good.
    I hope to finally start the car tomorrow after putting in fresh gas.

Cheers!

11. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    LUCAS,,,, the Prince of Darkness strikes again....!!!!!
    AAAA ha ha ha

Edwardo
    had a 1966 MGB,, a long time ago.
    ;)

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #87 soucorp, Sep 17, 2012
    So this past week, I managed to sort out everything on this project car:
    Installed new fuel pump, fuel filter, sparks, distributor/rotor/points, oil change, filled coolant, corrected the battery situation, fixed the radio and added all new fuses, repainted the battery cables.

So I was happy that I got the engine to start up after 10 minutes of trying to get it running.
    So relieved that she runs.

Here's the bad news. Put it in gear and it grinds, won't go into any gears 1-4, goes in fine with motor off. So I check the master cylinder and there's absolutely no fluid. No wonder the clutch pedal seemed so easy and without pressure. I just hope its not the clutch because on this Midget its an engine out and transmission removal.

Will need to refill, see where the leak is and rebuild it or the slave cylinder. Oh boy, but I know I'm almost there at the finish line on this project.

cheers fellas!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=727dNq_nqDY[/ame]

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #88 soucorp, Sep 17, 2012
    Today I went under the car to check out the clutch slave, looks like its toast, leaks and does not hold any pressure what so ever. I had my wife depress the pedal and the slave didn't move at all. So a new master and slave unit will be ordered then bleed to work. Technical difficulty on this is about an 8, pita to get to the bolts and bleed valve.

cheers.

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #89 soucorp, Sep 17, 2012
    Ted (VALENZO) sent me the best wheel knockoff hammer on the market that his company makes.

If you are looking for a lead hammer, look no further. The American Hammer 6lb lead hammer. The company stands behind their product. Made in America and made better than any hammer I've bought and seen in the past. This thing is a beauty also, piece of art that will hang nicely on the garage wall.

So, if you want one just email him at [email protected]
    He'll ship it to you for a great low price of $35 and also, if you ever need it recast it costs around $20. You just ship it to Illinois and they send it back.

http://www.americanhammer.com

Thanks again Ted.

-Mike

15. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #90 mulo rampante, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    Mike: The mallet looks great, these things are a must have. Over the years I've accumulated a few, also brass and non-sparking BeCu tools. Is that a ground strap next to the clutch slave? Looks pretty dodgy :( Best of luck with the clutch hydraulics, I think it should be very straightforward, accessibility being the key point as you've noted.

ps the car looks beautiful... you're making great progress.

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    You're welcome Mike, that one was just for you and your MG, you got the very last one. NLA. ;)

17. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Ted: I visited your web site, you make some beautiful tools. I think you must be of the mindset to make the best product available in the market... something I strongly believe in. I'm always amazed at the entrepreneurial folks here on F-chat.

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +100

I've learned along time ago that having one quality suit is always better than having 20 cheap suits.
    If you can in life, always go for Quality products, they will always last the test of time!

Cheers!

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #94 soucorp, Sep 18, 2012
  20. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I can tell you that a '68 MG Midget was my first car as a 16yr old growing up in Indiana. At first I thought it wasn't a cool car for a 16yr old as I wanted a Chevelle SS or other muscle car at the time.
    But I can tell you the girls loved it and always wanted a ride so my opinion of it changed rapidly.
    A couple of funny stories include it always being in a different place in the high school parking lot as 4 of my mates would pick it up and move it constantly.
    It also was crap in the Indiana snow so getting around in Feb was always a challenge.
    Bottom line is I've got fond memories of it and am really enjoying Mike's thread!
    Cheers,
    Greg

21. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #96 soucorp, Sep 18, 2012
    Cheers Greg, I know what you mean about mates always moving your car around, its easy to do with a Midget!

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #97 soucorp, Sep 22, 2012
  23. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hey Mike, congrats....looks great!

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #99 soucorp, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks Lino. I had a great day today, finally got the clutch working, thought I had to take the engine apart for a new clutch but thank god I didn't need to.
    All of the skill sets I have learned thru the years with my project cars, this Midget being #5, have helped me become a better do it yourself mechanic and just makes doing repairs on my Mondial so much more familiar. Here's a video I put together.
    Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrtVYsqxrt4[/ame]

25. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ...Summer of '69. Car turned out great Mike, the luggage and fire extinguisher are nice touches. Have you thought about the rocker panel being black? The red looks good but as a past owner I just can't get used to it ;-).
    Cheers,
    Greg