Any Mondial owners working on Project cars? | FerrariChat

Any Mondial owners working on Project cars?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Aug 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm thinking about picking up this 1969 MG Midget MKIII from a guy that lives down the street from me. Its in great condition from the outside and interior. I have not seen the engine bay yet so dunno the condition. It has not run in a year, but kept in garage storage, no rust that I can see, paint looks new with new top. Owners had it for 10 years, out grew it literally, they are large people and can not fit in this lil car anymore. He says it just needs (a new battery, new tires, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel tank drain) =~$1200 + tune-up) and she should be good to go! Its a leaded engine, so I would need to add additives to keep it running, 43 year old technology, oh well.

He's asking $5k, I'm thinking to offer $3k or so but I would have to do a look over before committing to anything. Plan to see it tomorrow for more details and just spoke with the owner on the phone, willing to neg for my price range. More to come on this gem of a find.

Anyone have a project car they are currently restoring at the moment?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    #2 docmirror, Aug 17, 2012
    Project is an apt description. Picked up this 92 Porsche 968 for $2k last month. Hasn't moved in 5-6 years. I took a batt and carb cleaner and got it to fire a bit, tested the clutch, trans, brakes and lights.

I've got another $2k in it now, including $500 in bonded title fees/registration. Running pretty good, and needs paint. A nice supplement to my 83 Mondi.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice, these cars are a hybrid between a 944 + 928, that's great!

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 Michael B, Aug 17, 2012
    Yeah Mike. I picked up a early Porsche Short Wheel Base project a few months ago. I have known the car since nearly new, and finally its second owner grew tired of it.

These four photos show (1) how I found it. (2) How it looked after taking inventory and adjusting the suspension to my liking, (3) how it looks today, and (4) how it will look - say after X-mas 2012.

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is nice, is that a 912 or 911 early 70s edition ? Makes a nice X-mas present for sure!

Best.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well "nice" is subjective! :)

1967 with some neglect and lots & lots of parts. The car came with a ring binder of inventoried parts (6 pages worth single spaced) all new & still in packages. Everything from new headliner to spare body panels & all seals etc.

But I just got most of the panels back today from the media blaster. Not ONE of the panels can go without reworking.

Groan. Big Job.

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Michael

Thats a worthy project, its going to look great.

Do you only restore your own cars or would you take on a client?

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Not doing any restoration but.....

Of course the Mondial always needs something.
    My 1993 BMW R100R motorcycle is at 92K miles and is leaking a bit of oil. I need to pull the engine, reseal, lube the clutch splines, etc.
    I just move to S. Oregon. My Dad who lives there has a 1930 Model A Cabriolet that we use as often as possible. The carb pooped out the other day so we swapped it out. The engine makes a tapping noise despite valve adjustments and he has a fresh rebuilt spare that we'll install this winter.
    When my Dad injured his arm and couldn't drive the Model A he purchased a 66 ranchero. It has lots of gizmos and upgrades that were not necessarily installed in a top shelf manner. He and I have been upgrading ignition, checking brakes, repacking wheel bearings, etc.
    Nothing being restored, but lots of auto projects. My brother on the other hand is putting together what was a complete but completely clapped out and siezed TR3.

Sit in the Midget and make sure it fits you. One of my brothers had one with a roll bar. I could not drive it without hitting my head. It's a small car. I'd be more inclined to get a B. But they are fun if they fit.

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ted I am too old to do it for anything more than my own now days. I am trying to teach my kids too while I still putter around (pass on some knowledge) so it has to be my own stuff as no-one but me would be nutty enuf to want a 9 or a 14 year old prodigy to lay a grinder on their car.

Thank you though. We have had some fun cars come outta here.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Aug 17, 2012
    The Midget would be a great car for VA, especially along the Colonial Parkway. A friend in Destin had an early 60's in antique white and it was such a jewel.

Speaking of projects, my wife recently bought a '97 del Sol to use as a commuter. She's always wanted one and this was a 1-owner, needs almost nothing, car. However, the paint and some trim could use refreshing so a minor restoration is in the works. Plus we're looking for some OEM mags as well.

BTW, no fart cans allowed!!!

11. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I drove it for about a year and a half and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
    It lasted until I dropped first gear out by popping the clutch too much and then reverse went due to the same hot rodding antics of a 16yr old!
    Enjoy!
    Greg

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #12 soucorp, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    Cool, the year 1969 is my birth year and also for the Midget, I think is the best design to get. I do not like the 1970 and up models at all, they look ugly with those big black bumpers.

thanks.

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, Aug 18, 2012
    Well guys, I did it. Made an offer and seller accepted this afternoon. This Midget is mine, now I have to clear my garage for delivery tomorrow. This will be a great project for me to restore, considering I'm working from a great overall condition car, no rust amazing! Needs new white wall tires, fuel pump, new battery, spark plugs for starts then I'll dig in to see what else it will need. The owner says it was all working nicely a year ago before storage so cross my figures on this one, yikes, never bought a car that doesn't run! But I do fit in it nicely and the transmission and gears all are smooth shifting! Just need to get a battery and get this baby crankin soon! Oh, good thing is on antique plates, its exempted from personal property taxes, no state inspections, and no emissions in Virginia!

Cheers!

14. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Congratulations! That is a very nice car. The engine of these cars are very reliable, easy to maintain and parts are very cheap. I wish you many safe and fun miles!

15. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You will enjoy the Midget. I have a 73 (chrome bumper) Midget I am working on. It needs new floors, but the rest of the car is very solid. I built the engine with my oldest son as his high school senior project. I have about $2700 in the 1275cc engine. I have taken it from about 45 net horsepower to 75! It has 40 over pistons (1302cc), a hot street cam, 9 to 1 compression and ported head with headers.

I will finish it before I start on my 1963 Porsche 356 Super 90 (not the one in my avatar, that is a 1965 356 parts car).

16. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Nice score Mike, soon you will be collecting red cars only. Enjoy and goodluck with your project. She doesn't look like to be needing much.

17. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I forgot about the 3-wiper system on the windshield...
    Watch for rust around the wheel wells and along the rocker panels as it was prone to get it in these areas.
    The hub spoke wheels look like they're in great shape as well.
    Should be a fun project!
    Cheers,
    Greg

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Congrats Mike!!! I am sooooo envious!! I've rebuilt the 1098 engine and blown up the rear diff on a 1275, so let me know if you need some help.

dave

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Cool thread, love the projects!

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #20 soucorp, Aug 19, 2012
    Thanks guys, yeah starting to like this lil project. I 've been checking part prices and can not believe everything for this Midget is dirt cheap compared to Ferrari parts! Once I get the engine running and sorted, looking to redo the interior with new black carpets and oem black seat covers with red piping, and got to have the white wall tires with front fender mirrors!

I love the look on this Triumph TR3A. Just for the record, I like red cars but would have preferred a silver/gray, yellow, or sky blue for this midget! This will be a good project to work with my 7 year old son on...

cheers!

21. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Great car. Your going to have nice collection of cars. Good luck, I am sure you will have her running soon.

22. La_Rossa

La_Rossa Karting

May 11, 2012
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Fantastic car Mike!
    I love those midgets...
    Do they run on a 6 volt electrical system?

23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    My Morris Minor was a 12volt system but this brings up a good point. The Morris was a Positive Ground!!! Check this out Mike before you hook up your new battery or install a radio!!

Dave

24. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #24 Jamie H, Aug 19, 2012
  25. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That looks great! A perfect father son project. I'm glad you got it. Make sure to start a thread on it in the GA section. I want to read all about it.