And then the detailer backed into my Dino | Page 4 | FerrariChat

And then the detailer backed into my Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Apr 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I hereby rescind my previous remarks. Time to call your lawyer.

Jack

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    Just a note to remind all that the vehicle that you own is a "collector car" in a market where service records and originality are highly valued. There does not seem to be any real measureable difference in the auction price of a well maintained (documented) original Dino that may be preped to score 90 or so in judging and a fresh restoration where the Dino scores 95 - 100. I believe that the "excellent" condition of the original paint adds to the value of the vehicle rather than depreciates its value.

Anything less that a total repaint to the standards of "restoration quality" would surely lower the value of the vehicle.

Best wishes

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Actually, one of the best ones here just contacted me. Expertise in this field, and offered to assist at NO CHARGE except for costs.

Very generous offer that I hope not to have to accept.

DM

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree - modern painting techniques matched with a seasoned paint/body man can facilitate a sectional repair so that no judge could tell.

For example,
    I once had Master Painter, Bo Pirkle, paint my spare set of Dino Campy wheels and he had to put the work off for a few days due to a delay (actually, there were several delays, but I didn't need the spare set fast plus I've always found it beneficial to be flexible when dealing with paint/body guys).

In any case, this delay was due to an immediate need by a gentleman at the Ferrari meet (Hershey, I think) that had track raced his car and bumped a fender but needed to have it repaired prior to the concourse in two days. Bo was flown up to the event, did an all day/night repair including panel and paint. The work was so good that this resulted in the gentleman owner's Ferrari winning the concours class event.

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

If I had an immediate need for a patch, that's what I'd do. This isn't a patch, it's a permanent fix.

No one I've talked to wants to guarantee that the paint they spray will match now, or in the future, expecially in the future, due to varying rates of fade, and other variables in old vs. modern paint.

I have to trust the folks who are advising me on this, and they all say the same thing, REPAINT THE CAR.

So, that's what I'm going to do, with the help of the insurance company.

DM

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree. Although a really good painter may be able to make the repair look identical to the rest of the body now, I think after a year or two, one could tell where the car had been repainted.

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

On an unrelated note, I'll be at the good Dr Simeone's collection tomorrow. Any detailed pictures you'd like of anything in his collection, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Dave

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

dave, you will prevail...just wait it out. after two weeks of the folder sitting on the adjusters desk...he will settle. better yet, if he does not...tell him to come get the car as a total loss and to find you a suitable replacment. bluffing of course, that will never happen as the ins. cos are not in the business of buying, selling and locating cars. get three estimates of dinos values from experts and send it to the ins co. see how they like you now!!!

and by the way, when you do get a full respray, make sure the car is properly disassembled and all screws, nuts and bolts are catalogued. just insures the the car goes back together w/ accuracy.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    All of it. :D

10. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Come to think of it, I'd like to get my whole car repainted...does your detailer ever get down to DC? (I've even got a few spare headlight trim rings ready to go)

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Would a "patch" have reduced the value of the car by the estimated cost of the entire vehicle being repainted......some $20-25K perhaps ? That's almost 25%-35% of the value of the car.

Of course not. To suggest otherwise is ridiculious and I am glad that no one has.

If you plan to keep the car until you are gone.....then the value was never diminished in the first place nor would it have been during your tenure as owner because the car was never to be sold based on your statements....therefore no loss occured....nor was a loss planned based on your statements.

If I was insured with this company and read this thread I'd be all over them to not pay up for any more than a patch......it's frivilous and vexatious cases like this that cause all our rates to go up.

Sorry Dave.......gotta take the other side here on this one. Insurance is for repairs........not restorations.

12. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Please don't shoot the messenger for this one, but if I worked for the insurance company I would seriously have to consider totaling this car before dropping $25K on fixing relatively minor damage like this.

What's an excellent (but not Concours quality) Dino going for these days? Around $90K? I'd be tempted to give you a $90K check, do a very very good repair for around $5K and sell the car for $80K. I just don't see a correctly done repair with the paint blended causing more than $5K - $10K in diminished value, particularly since there is plenty of documentation that the damage is superficial. Assuming the insurance company would pop for the $5K or so to do it right, they could save themselves $10K - $15K.

Of course, they would have to find some way of avoiding a salvage designation on the title, but that could be easily done by working with an "independent" restorer to handle the "purchase" of the car from you.

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'd be fine with that. Pop me a chek for $90K, patch the paint, try to sell it to some unsuspecting Ferrari guy.

Problem with that is, I think, the would have to hang a salvage title on it. I don't think the insurance company is going to encourage insurance fraud within their own company, right?

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

still has value in my estate. And who knows, I may need the cash someday. OR, my kids might not want the car when I'm to old and feeble to drive it. Point is, down the line, if the paint doesn't match, it will diminsh the value of the car.

Um, nope. This is exactly why I carry classic insurance on my car, and exactly what they use as a selling point for that policy. Occasional use, stored in a locked garage at home, used for show and occasional use only. That's exactly what I do with my car. So, I should expect, based on thier limitations and my use, to return the car to show condition.

I have already told the insurance company that I will pay my fair share on this. I'm not looking for a resotation, just a repair. The appraiser agrees that there's no break in the lines of the car to blend to. I'll fix any damage we uncover during the repair process that's not related to the contact with my other car.

Now, shoe on the other foot. Your classic car gets banged up. It needs to be fixed. Are you going to be happy with a repair that is clearly visible within a year or so of it being done? don't think so.

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#91 dm_n_stuff, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's been six months. The car is finally in the shop.

To all of you who felt that getting the car repainted was absurd,the insurance company politely disagrees.

We have the car apart now, and have pretty much settled on a number.

Delphias Collision in Exton, PA is doing the work. He's done ten or so Dinos over the years, owns one himself, and has taken over the project.

And for you who think I'm ripping off the insurance, I'll probably be about $5k out of pocket on this project to get it the way I want it, rather than what the insurance is paying for.

Here are a couple of pictures of the progress.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just like a Lib. Expecting somebody else to pay for it!

Just kidding. I'm sure that it will look sweet.

Dale

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    is it going to stay red?

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yep.

During the course of our dismantling, we've found the original color, white, which was painted over almost before it was ever sold, and a light blue metallic, which was painted over within a couple more years.

But, once all the old paint is off, back to red it will be.

Dave

20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yay! See everybody, insurance companies are not evil.

Sometimes.

Oh, and you better take and post at least as many, if not more pictures than JG takes of 0846 and 002C

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, you couldn't expect this bleeding heart liberal to make the poor underprivledged detailer (who was 16 and trying to make some bucks for school) pay for it, could you? (Like he'd have the money anyway.)

Oh, and if you're wondering why his insurance didn't pay for it, he was driving my other car. He didn't have my permission to do so, but I would have had to get him arrested for car theft in order for his insurance to cover it.

Besides, 32 years of premiums have to count for something, don't they?

DM

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

FD, I have 30-40 already. I'm gonna put together a good post on the whole thing when it's done.

It's amazing some of the little stuff that has already become a problem.

Door hinges. They are three piece, have a nipple on them for grease, the pin itself is hollow, and they are unobtanium. Had to bust one of them to get the door off, so hi-ho to the machine shop for these.

Front turn signal lenses, new or NOS. Also unobtanium. Even though the ones in question were also on period Alfas. Can't get 'em so far. Gonna keep trying.

Rubber - trunk seals, window seals, etc, total about $1300. I'm out of pocket on this because I can't expect the insurance to pay for it, but may as well renew it all while the car is apart.

And God forbid the body shop wrecks any of the small window chrome trim. Just the thought makes me queasy.

Actually, I almost hate to admit it, but part of the fun is in the hunt. Finding something everyone tells you is unobtainable is pretty satisfying.

Stay tuned.

DM

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Just call Tom S, he'll get you what you need. Just don't tell him where your car is or he'll come by and take all the loose bits.

Good Luck,

Art S.

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I've been in this hobby too long...

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Dave - you deserve the best, so I'm glad to see the shop owner is qualified to give you just that.