Alonso's fate gets complicated | FerrariChat

Alonso's fate gets complicated

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by hg, Nov 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Marc Gene`, test driver at Ferrari, state to "Gazzetta dello Sport" today: "I would he happy if Alonso arrives at Ferrari in 2009 but I don't think that is possible. Raikkone has a contract for 2 more years and Massa for 3. Ferrari usually respects its contracts.

On another note Alonso's fate gets more complicated. Dietrich Mateschitz told the German "Motorsport Aktuell" that there is no way that Alonso can come for one year. We want at least a 2 year contract with an option for a third year. This is also what Renault wants. The Spanish newspapers report that rumors that Alonso and Renault are a little more distant because of economical issues.

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    At this point it appears that Alonso's only venue will be Renault and at least a two year contract. Unless, there is a trade for Nico which seems unlikely, or a trade for Nick, which is even more unlikely.

Well, there is retirement and bull fighting school.

3. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    There's probably a NASCAR seat if he wants it.

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I wonder if Alonso has realized yet that his whiny little beyotch ways have cost him any chance of a WDC in 2008 and possibly beyond? It was a very light rumor that Kimi would retire after his contract was up... but I don't think so. More likely he will be reinvigorated by winning the WDC this year and keep on keepin' on. I think Ferrari is smart enough to know what could happen if they were to let him drive there alongside Kimi, and I really don't see it happenning.

Also, even *IF* Alonso is the super car developer he would have us believe, its late in the season for him to bring too much to Renault. If he ends up there, he will be mid-pack at best. Lets assume Kimi wins in 2008... why would Ferrari trade a team-player 2xWDC that just gets in and drives for another 2xWDC (who last won a WDC 3 years ago) who whines if he's not #1 and trashes the team and has shown he will walk away if he doesn't get his tantrum answered?

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Options:

Renault, but 3 year contract
    RBR, 2 years with option on 3rd
    Toyota...?

IMO he's going to have to go very far down the grid to get a 1 year contract.

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Renault have ironed out all the glitches with their wind tunnel, so I suspect they'll be back on form after a few races....that's assuming there will even be a Renault after the FIA hearing.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Get 2 years at Renault...if they are still there .

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy IMVHO. ;)

If Fred is in a mid-pack car I would be surprised if he finishes the year. However, I don't think he would take a mid-pack ride for a year unless he had the ride he wanted locked up for 2009.

9. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    +100

Alonso has shot himself in the foot. But he is still young enough to mend his ways. He needs to distance himself from the stupid Spanish media that likes to inflame things and he himself needs to be circumspect about what he says. He has let his ego run amuck and that has cost him big time. He needs a good mentor like perhaps Jackie Stewart or maybe Michael Schumacher (unlikely I know).

It will be a shame if he doesn't get a drive next year because although he is a whiney ***** and stupid person off track ... on track he is still one of the best.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think Alonso is waiting for the December 6 hearing of the WMSC regarding Renault's spying on McLaren. If they won't get heavily punished, I expect him to sign with them. If they get beaten up to the point that they might pull out, he'll sign with RBR.

Most on here might not like him, but rest assured, there are many teams out there who would be willing to dump one of their existing drivers to have the two times World Champ in their car. He is the best development driver on the current grid and also comes loaded with money: At McLaren he was basically a "pay driver", because he brought more money to the team with his sponsors than the team had to pay him as a salary.

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I drove Mark Gene to the airport once while working for BMW. Nice guy.

That's all.

12. FerrariF1

FerrariF1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Alonso will get what he wants. I don't care what people say he is great driver and has 2 championships. I don't think McLaren will be as good without him.

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least that IF Renault gets no penalty, Alonso will sign a 2 years contract with them, and he will finish in the top 3 in 2008!

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    According to F1 Complete, Red Bull will not hire Alonso or another high profile driver until 2009 at the earliest.

15. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    I think Flavio is pissed with Alonso since he had announced to the press that Alonso would decide by last Thursday (Thanksgiving). FB to FA "Hey, you are bad for my image and you are ruining my reputation...so now, I am going to pay you less". FA responds " But,...you are cheating".

I agree with Andreas, I think FA is waiting for the FIA hearing to decide.

16. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Doesn't care about who offers him a drivers seat... He knows what he wants, he wants to drive the red car in 2009 and if others won't let him have a one year contract then to he.. with them as Alonso doesn't need the money, he has more than 99% of the people on this planet so he can sit out a year, or the rest of his life for that matter.... Alonso is a great driver and he wants what he wants, some may think he shot himself in the foot but in my opinion, he's the one holding the cards...

17. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...I have faith in Alonso and his ability to make wrong choises...so he stays away from Ferrari... ;)

and I support the shooting theory...IMO he´ll go to Renault in the end, after a moderate fine and a slap in the hand so they can race for points in the next season...

18. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Alonso sitting out 2008, watching from the sidelines and I think you will see him in the pits with Schumi behind the prancing horse at certain events..... Can you imagine that?

19. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop!! You're killing me!!!!!!!!! :D

<signed>

Alain Prost
    Ivan Capelli
    Rubens Barrichello
    Gianni Morbidelli
    Mika Salo
    Gerhard Berger
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

The fact that the hang-up appears to be over a one-year deal strongly suggests that Alonso has a deal with Ferrari for 2009. If he opts to sit out 2008 then it is a certainty that he signed for 2009.

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I liked FA, but this year he IMO he scrapped the barrel biting the hand that fed him.

I can see his point feeling trapped up against LH in a Brit team and all that but he should been mature enough to have realized that he could have come out of the whole thing looking a hero but as it happened he didnt look at the bigger picture and got involved in the spy scandal and tit for tat with Lewis, I read that at the opening GP in Aus he was slagging off RD to his mates so to be expected with all with this info in the public domain he will be treated with caution.

IMO he will still win another WDC and that will be with the horse.. meanwhile I thought Redbull but now it will have to be Renault depending on the outcome of the data issue or his stock value will plunge.

I dont believe Schumacher, Senna or Villeneuve would have ever been in this situation fast as he is.

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

That'll be just fantastic.

23. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Of course that's your opinion. Who's seat is he taking in 2009? Pick one, and then explain how good of a teammate you expect him to be with the other driver and the mechanics. Of course, it would be helpful if you used past examples of his ability to be a good teammate to back up these assertions, because as we all know, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
    THEN - use this to make the case that Ferrari would want him on the team.

Off track personality is important. KR doesn't have one, but at least it doesn't get in the way like FA's does.

Peter

Edit: Before you start on this homework assignment, the evidence certainly is in your favor. Why else would he want a one year contract? What other team could he be waiting on? Maybe BMW, but he might be hesitant to count on their strong form continuing.
    The point of my post is merely to vent frustration. It's not worth rooting for anybody if you have nobody to root against. I have picked Alonso, because he's a worthy competitor and doesn't wear red. The question is, do I hate him more than I hate cognitive dissonance?
    Time will tell ;)

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    It is the opinion of many in the F1 paddock and press as well.

Massa. No one in the paddock thinks he will last 3 more seasons, not even at Ferrari.

The best predictor of future performance is past performance, you mean.

19 career wins. 2 World Driving championships. Everything else is irrelevant. Case closed.

Really?!? How many seconds a lap does that get you?? :confused:

Peter, you do know that we are talking about auto racing, don't you? Perhaps you have this sport confused with beauty pageants.

25. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    You responded before you read my edit :)

Personality might not get you 6/10's, but neither does Alonso. This is a team sport, and team dynamics are important. This, you can't deny.

I would rather see LH in red.

Peter

PS - With the "parade lap" races we had going in 2007, maybe it would be more fun if they had a beauty pageant instead with the paddock babes. That's half the reason to watch anyway. :)