Alonso was only free for 2008 – Mateschitz | FerrariChat

Alonso was only free for 2008 – Mateschitz

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GrndLkNatv, Apr 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    The billionaire owner of Red Bull Racing may have let the cat out of the bag regarding Fernando Alonso's plans for 2009.

Dietrich Mateschitz has told a Spanish newspaper that Red Bull was in the running to sign the double world champion this year.

But he seemed to rule out making another bid for Alonso, 26, for 2009.

"His situation was complicated because he was free for one year only," the 63-year-old is quoted as saying by El Mundo.

"In such a short period, we would not have been able to demonstrate our ability.

"I am one of those people who thinks that Alonso is one of the best drivers. But we could not have delivered the car he needed, and so the decision would have been wrong.

"What we like to do is take one step whilst thinking of the next," he added.

Mateschitz's comments indicate not only that Alonso sought to accommodate himself just for a single campaign in 2008, but also that his plans for 2009 were already well advanced.

It is currently rumoured that the Spaniard is hoping to line up at Ferrari next year.

2. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    and why not, he's one of the top drivers, and he wants to be in a competitive car. right now, and near future, it's Ferrari or BMW...can't go back to Mcl...

3. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Mario T has already said that and with Heidfeld and Kubica, they have no need for Fred..... No only that Luca has admitted to an option on Fred for 2009, Fred has said it as well and BMW has said they don't...

4. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    Fred said that after he left Mclaren every team except for Ferrari offered him a drive. I wonder if that includes Mclaren :)

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    you never know BMW and alonso could also just be a campaign of disinformation. Alonso at BMW really is the best fit for 2009 I pray it'll happen. I don't want to see him at Ferrari I'd rather see him back at Mclaren (which doesn't seem impossible of Ron Dennis ever leaves).

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Actually a return to McLaren was speculated. So the answer to that is yes...

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I'm not sure if Ron Dennis is the only problem at McLaren, i think there's another guy on the team that wouldn't want him back..

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Please, where can you document that Luca has an option on Alonso. This is contrary to anything I have heard or read. Even the SpeedTV announcers confirmed this past Sunday that the higher ups at Ferrari and Fiat do not want Alonso to race for Ferrari, primarily because of his behavior at McLaren.

I believe that Flavio will deliver a competitive car to Alonso by the Italian GP.

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The SpeedTV announcers wouldn't know any better than we would. They know exactly what Ferrari and Alonso want them to know. The truth may be a different story, and Ferrari has done pre-contracts before. You really want to believe there is no way he'll be in red next year huh, Ron? lol

I believe Alonso's heart is already at Ferrari regardless of what Flav gives him.

10. AP2TUDE

AP2TUDE Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Edwards
    Ferrari doesn't want a person like Alonso. Ferrari is about the team, not the individual. Alonso needs to be the star, he needs to be the individual, not a member of the team.

No matter how anti-social Kimi is, he is still all for the good of Ferrari, not just the good for Kimi. Based on the issues that Alonso exhibited at McLaren with Hamilton, I don't think that the situation would be any different at Ferrari with Kimi.

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Ferrari is about the team not the individual? That's a laugh! Does the name Michael Schumacher ring a bell?

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I do not agree with you on any of your points. SpeedTV has a man directly in the press room and trackside at every event, he knows better than you or I rumors or true stories. Its also been pretty well publicized that Todt, Schumacher, Domenicali, and Luca do not like Alonso. You still do not seem to get it that Alonso KNOWINGLY used stolen information from Ferrari. How would any team principal trust this guy? Kimi is already frustrated that the team allows Massa to race to win, to think he would be OK with Alonso is foolish. Maybe an Alonso/Massa pairing, but I doubt even that.

Believe what you wish. You are too enamored with Fred to believe otherwise.

13. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Yes, but he created the team that exists today. He is gone now leaving a very cohesive team, more unified than any other team on the grid, BMW a close second. So i would agree today in this post Schumacher era, Ferrari is about the team, and under no circumstance will they rock the boat.

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I must have missed that. When did he say something like that?

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    SpeedTV has never announced anything that wasn't already known, when do you ever remember them breaking a story? There's goes that theory of them knowing anything more than what has already been printed. Secondly show me where MS, Domenicali, Luca, etc., specifically say we don't like Alonso. Good luck finding that, especially where Luca says that. (Say what you want, only Luca's opinion matters, He's the boss). Thirdly I don't care if he KNOWINGLY used a damned thing that was stolen from whomever. You don't seem to get that anyone in Formula One would use this info to his advantage. If you believe Hamilton didn't use or know about it, i've got a bridge to sell you. Futhermore what you think Kimi feels is your opinion, you don't know what he'll do if they put Alonso in the other car, he may not have a choice in the matter just like MS didn't after 2006.

Believe what you want, but I've said all along what Luca wants Luca is going to get. The days of the team's driver choosing his teammate are over. Alonso is a strong possibly at Ferrari next year. Probably already done deal. Be in denial about the possiblity all you like.

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The team he created is slowly eroding. That team that MS created does not exsist anymore. Gone are Ross Brawn, Jean Todt, etc. It was well known that LDM wanted to re-take control of his team and he did just that. If Kimi or Massa fail to deliever he would can them in a second. They are not kept around because they are nice guys, rocking the boat is not a concern, it's all about winning.

17. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    three races in, and we're already well into the silly season of driver swaps... yep, just like Ferrari were denying the rumours about signing Kimi, and in the end he's now in the red car. hmm...

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    i get this nagging feeling that FA already has something lined up for next season, and the party of two, are trying desperately to keeps things under wraps as to not cause dissention in the here and now.

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Like I said, believe what you want to believe.

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I'm getting the same feeling. Why else would he look so comfortable in a car that is no good this year. He's got a look on his face like a man with something up his sleeve. Plus he wouldn't commit to anyone for more than a year, according to someone that wanted to sign him. People can believe what they want but he's a proven champion. To think he'd be unattractive to any team is silly.

21. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I always do.....:)

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Free for one year...means he only wanted a 1 yr deal, knowing full well whatever he ended up driving wouldnt be good enough and he wanted the contractual freedom to leave. Its just that simple.

Hoping to line up at Ferrari next year.........."Hoping" does not equal an option with Ferrari in hand. He knows he cant go to Mclaren ever again and he knows Ferrari is his only near term choice to drive a car that just might win him another WDC. He has no option at Ferrari plain and simple. Hoping is all he can do. His days are numbered in F1. He is becoming old news and he is desperate to change that.

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    And how would you know that he has no option at Ferrari? Do you work for them? As far as his days being numbered in F1, that's just your opinion. Plain and simple.

24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Maybe he has learnt to shut the **** up...

No, no, that´s impossible.

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That sounds reasonable.

Anyway, you shouldn´t believe anything the Spanish press say about Alonso´s future. A few months ago they were talking about revolutionary improvements in the Renault wich will put them back in the front. Now that they realized that the car is crap they are trying to keep the hope alive seeking for an escape from that team. Idiots: it´s just the third race!!!