Alonso is at it again...Ugh... | FerrariChat

Alonso is at it again...Ugh...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ItaliaF1, Apr 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58178

GO TO EARLIER STORY GO TO THE NEWS INDEX
    Alonso: pod damage may have slowed me

By Michele Lostia and Jonathan Noble Tuesday, April 17th 2007, 14:18 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso believes that his loss of form in the Bahrain Grand Prix could have been the result of damage caused to his car when a lighting pod fell on it on Friday night.

Alonso's front wing had to be replaced on Saturday after the overhead lighting pod detached itself from the ceiling in the team's garage in the early hours of the morning. It subsequently crashed down on his car.

Although McLaren played down the matter at Sakhir, Alonso has now suggested that the incident may have played a part in the handling problems he suffered in qualifying and the race.

Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Alonso said: "Maybe a mistake was made while re-assembling the car after that mishap. The fact is the car had a strange behaviour from then on.

"It was as though there was no difference in grip between the hard or medium tyres. If I had raced on intermediates it would have been the same."

"Maybe a mistake was made." Here it goes again! McLaren might have to get used to what he used to do with Renault. I knew it wouldn't take long for this to start up again.

-John

2. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I would be highly surprised if they left the cars out like that over night without covering them in some way to protect them from heat, dust, falling stuff etc. At least he didn't blame Jean Todt and his little elves.

3. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Is it really impossible to just say, "I made some bad mistakes last weekend, but the next race should be better."? I mean come on! I can't stand that man...

4. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    His own fan club can't even stand him :).

5. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    A light fell on his car??? I couldn't stop laughing when I read it. That is one sensitive set up.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Enzo hated when a driver blamed the car. That's why he loved Villeneuve as he always found a way to make it work.

7. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Maybe he is right, the car was slightly damaged. We see the pit crew making millimeter changes to the front wings. He is still a wanker for saying anything. Here is to hoping that LH always finishes in front of him and in third behind the two Ferrari cars :)

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Actually the story is true, regardless what Alonso says, the above lighting system did fall on his car. The McLaren Mechanics were called in at 2:30AM and worked all night on his car. He should be more grateful for the work the crew did on his car.

9. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Yeah me too. I saw the report of the light falling on Autosport before the race, and I knew it would be brought up if Alonso had a less-than-perfect race. His complaining is so predictable.

10. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Any one know the extent of the damage or the size/weight of the lighting system. Was it a light bulb or was it a floodlight?

11. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Alonso, starting from fourth place on the grid, said he was unsure about the reasons for his lack of pace, admitting he never felt comfortable with his car.

"I don't know," he said when asked about the reasons of his struggle. "I didn't have confidence in the car all race long.

"It was lacking grip, in the front and in the rear, so it was not only a set-up problem or something like that. I couldn't find the rhythm to be on top.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58162

^^^Kimi was also having some trouble with the handling in race, but we didn't hear about that from him. Kimi also managed to keep 3rd with it. On the other hand, Alonso was probably already planning his complaints while racing, so then Heidfeld passed him on the OUTSIDE.

12. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So it's another racing driver making an excuse why he didn't win. Almost all racing drivers do this, it isn't somthing specific to Alonso.

13. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Did you not notice last year when, as Michael started winning a lot and he wasn't doing as well, Renault fell under the blame for it? Yes, most drivers make excuses, but with Alonso, it's almost always the car's fault. There was a lot of discussion last year when he started doing this. He's just picking up where he left off with Renault.

14. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    What a sissy. This guy doesn't deserve another championship, ever. He's a winy little brat.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    the story is true, but what i can't stand FA is, he always goes to the press and talk things like this when he loses a race badly. did Kimi complain in Malaysia 2 weeks ago with a sick engine?

he may be a champ, but he has no personality as a champ. he does nothing by whining.

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    very true. he said that the team 'abondoned him' and he felt 'alone'. then, last weekend at Bahrain, he said he had 'no confidence' in the car. full of crap.

17. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    true, but drivers like MS and Kimi never said a word. MS has the worst season in 2005. all i remember was, he kept on commenting that 'we need to work harder'.

in 2005, did Kimi ever go to the press after every blow ups he had?

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    that's one of the great qualities with Kimi...nomatter what happens, even when his car isn't well sorted, even when he's not vibing with the car, he doesn't take every second of opportunity to bit@ch and bit@ch... he'll say a few things about working to make things better, and that's it...

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 Brian.

20. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Kimi doesn't really say much to begin with... i think he prefers to get away from the problem, and party it up...lol..

But true what is said about FA, the first to point fingers. And put the blame some where else. Even if it was a light falling that gave him the bad race pace, still you just suck it up and say we need to try harder next time.

21. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanx Tony. how have u been, my friend?

22. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    thats kimi's way, lol..pretty unique imo.

but the whole point here is, never go to the press and complaint. settle it within the team.

23. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    3 choices:

1) It's the car.
    2) It's me.
    3) Silence.

Well, it is pretty hard to think it's #2. He's a double world champion and if given a good car can win easily.

It's easy to think it's #1 - when Schumacher had a bad race did anyone actually think it was related to his skill?

#3 is obviously the best choice...some people can't shut their mouths though. *shrug*

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    How did Ferrari get OJ Simpson to drop a light on Alonso's car?

Why didn't he get Hamilton's too? :)

25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    No no no: the problem was that there was light falling on his car.
    You wouldn't have seen him get passed if it was dark. :p

Maybe he's promoting Bernie's "night race" concept. ;)

Can someone translate into spanish:
    "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Despite all the Massa bashing, consider: When Massa came under attack for his Malaysia drive, he gave his response on the track in Bahrain. A lesson there for Alonso.