Airbag ECU corrosion - FF | FerrariChat

Airbag ECU corrosion - FF

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wazzer, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Short story with pictures that may help diagnose airbag and AVH warning lights. In my case on a 2012 FF with about 7,700 miles. Last Fall my airbag and AVH lights both came on. Apparently, it is fairly common for the AVH (vehicle hold) light to come on at the same time as the airbag light.

Once plugged into the computer, we couldn’t clear the airbag fault – passenger side airbag. Turns out there was no issue with the AVH. My Ferrari technician’s first step was to clean all the various airbag connectors. It seems like these connectors can corrode particularly for cars that spent time near the ocean (salt air). Bit surprising. Mine spent a few years in Miami. However, this didn’t resolve the airbag fault.

So my tech took apart the car to get to the airbag ECU (part # 271209). Its buried on top of the transmission tunnel under the HVAC controls. Rear seats, glove box, HVAC and everything have to come out to get access to the module. No easy way to remove it. We discovered that once he dug it out and opened it up, that it was somewhat corroded! You can see the rust on the cover and the white powder oxidation on the ECU circuit board. I must admit to being shocked that the ECU supplier used different metals in the housing which led to bi-metal corrosion. Note: the car was never submerged or anything crazy like that.

So we are replacing the airbag ECU with a new module and fingers crossed that will work. I do wonder if anyone else had a similar issue as I couldn’t find this on the Forums. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Is there any leaks in the Hvac box under the dash that can be blow air on or around the controller reason being is when Hvac is not being used there’s always air flow even with the controls are off and any car from a area with high humidity will have signs of moisture damage a big tattletale is white powdery dust on the metal surfaces of aluminum parts and is there a proper ground to the case of the controller even though the ground is not for functionality it does help with electrolysis some ECM’s will be mounted with rubber grommets for vibration dampening and noise but still have ground straps to the case
    all electron controllers created a small amount of electrical magnetic field add that to moisture in the air will create corrosion

FYI I change out the braided ground straps on my car with real 2/0 wire to improve ground continuity I have seen these straps weaken over time and will not Carry electrical loads when heated up seen one started to smoke with just 4amps being Applied to it
    This is just something I do not sure about anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Thanks. I will ask my tech about the possibility of the HVAC leaking.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Given the level of oxidation, I would apply some conformal coating to the new ECU and a generous amount of di-electric grease to the connector. These are safety components that should not fail. I've got a first hand experience of a failed 456 airbag. Scary.