After market mods impact on resale pricing? | FerrariChat

After market mods impact on resale pricing?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JohnInCincinnati, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnInCincinnati

Oct 21, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    John Fidder
    I'm considering buying a 458 - it checks almost all my boxes but doesn't have a backup camera. That's a biggie for me - the car sits low, I have a bunch of kids, and visibility isn't ideal. I've found a local reputable shop who can install one and integrate with the infotainment system. But how does a project like that impact resale? Does the value go UP because it now has an added option? Or DOWN because somebody other than Ferrari messed with wiring? Thoughts?

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I doubt a backup camera would cause anyone to not buy your car, but there is a company (used to called Pearl) that came a wireless backup camera that uses your phone as a monitor. It does work, I had one on one of my cars for a while.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no one cares...its not an f40...

IloveGT, tres55 and obbob like this.
  4. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Small changes like that, if done well shouldn’t get noticed by next owner. Stuff like body kits, ecu work, exhaust etc will hurt value down the road

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Exhaust does not hurt value as long as no cutting / reversible and you keep the oem.

Tubi Sales and Texas Forever like this.
  6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What color is it? GLWS.
    This pretty much sums it up.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Small mods like a back up camera will not overtly impact value for non-collector cars.
    Large, invasive mods like audio systems will hurt value on all models, new and old.
    Mods of any sort that isn't considered restoration will hurt the value of a collector car.

But if you're seriously stressing over a resale value adjustment of +-$1000 on a $180K-$200K car, are you really ready for the ownership costs?

8. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Go for it. It should not affect the value that much.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Zero effect on value. As long as the install is clean and non disruptive to the factory harness. Either way the 458 is a cookie cutter car. It will fall in price regardless of what you do to it. Customize to your taste and enjoy it.

technom3 likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    As long as it’s easily reversible, you’re fine.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A wise car guy told me a lot time ago to only buy original cars. Odds are any mods just ****ed up the car. Now, this does not extend to things you can’t see like retro fitting electronic ignition. But, even then, keep the original parts!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If they don't screw up the wiring then go for it. The amount of crap that I pulled out of mine that was twisted together and then electrical taped was amazing. I'm convinced that 90% of the running issues from modern cars comes from screwing up the electrical system and the interference caused (CAN bus check engine lights, etc). Keep it as stock as possible to meet your needs not only for resale but also from a reliability standpoint.

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Put whatever mods that you fancy, why care about the resale, thats not the point of owning a Ferrari. If one is worried about re sale, one should , in my estimation not bother with Ferrari. I have done a fair amount of customization , my 328 has a Tubi and test pipe, a powered sub woofer behind the passenger seat, I have these beautiful CNC press fit exhaust tip extenders, a nice aluminum CNC milled 328 GTS plate on the airbox. Steel braided air hoses with red anodized fittings. I took out and sold the spare donut, and made a nice shelf for the power amplifier and battery tender and a XM receiver next to the head unit. I made my car personal to me , same with my motorcycles. I think you will enjoy and have even a greater sense of ownership with whatever you do with your Ferrari. Dont let your concern about re sale ruin your Ferrari experience.

Thank you