News

Advice on restoring cigars

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by paulchua, Mar 10, 2020.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Moderator Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello friends,

I forgot I had a whole box of Cohibas from a past trip and recently found them again. I've read here and different methods of restoring them.

What advice/method would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    pop them in the humidor for a month or 2

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Moderator Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ezpz.

Thanks

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a friend give me "cuban" that had dried out. I put Cuban in quotes because it probably wan't authentic anyway. I read about putting them in a plastic bag with a higher level humidifier pack or even a piece of sponge soaked in solution or distilled water. it didn't work for me but I wasn't diligent about keeping track of the humidity. I didn't really care if it worked or not. Here's a more professional opinion than mine....
    https://www.cigarworld.com/education/how-to-rehydrate-cigars/

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Moderator Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks John, I'll put em in a humidifier for a few months and see what happens.

Cheers

6. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    I have rehydrated tobacco with a small thin slice of potato in the fridge, took about 24 hours with no change in flavour that I could ascertain

7. ssgharkness020147

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    It can certainly be done. On a side note of the box has a plastic clear top, they’re fake. Lots of people bring them back not knowing better. I would humidity them for approximately 1 year. I know it sounds like a long time but Cubans in particular are a very fickle cigar to keep happy. I would humidify for 8 months at 70% and then drop down to 67% for the last four months. Cubans burn a bit better at a slightly lower humidity, hence the drop to 67. You can also keep them at 70 and “dry box” them the day you want to smoke them.