A side by side comparison of the 348 soft tops and fitment on the 355 | FerrariChat

A side by side comparison of the 348 soft tops and fitment on the 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by judd10, Jul 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #1 judd10, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Per the soft top thread with Brian (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/softtop.106146/), we met up at Italian Day at the Redmond Town Center today to compare soft tops. Brian has the factory soft top on the left and I have the FNA soft top (with the 348 latches removed) on the right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Note that the factory soft top (left) is longer as it overhangs the front and back of the roof opening, whereas the FNA top fits snuggly (same size as the targa top).

As expected, the FNA top fits pretty well on the 348. I didn't have the latches on, but with them in place, pretty sure that the roof would have snapped in to Brian's 348 nicely and snuggly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

My FNA top fits my 355 perfectly at the back, but is a little tight on clearance in the front. Once you get it past the latch plate, it does seal pretty well across the front, too.

We tried Brian's factory top on my 355. The front sealed nicely, but the back popped out on the edges (it looks like you'd have to bend the side edges down slightly to get the pins to fit in the targa top pin holes. I believe Brian said it didn't quite fit perfectly on his 348, either, so he might look into bending the roof slightly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

What we concluded was that if we replaced the 355 latch plate with the 348 one (hoping it fits), which doesn't have the notch sticking up like the 355 one (pictured below), my FNA soft top might fit on my 355. I'll look into ordering the 348 latch plates, see if they fit on the 355 and then see if the 348 FNA soft top fits on the 355. Will report my findings. Did I miss anything Brian?

2. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I've decided to sell my folding cloth targa top (it's the FNA one on the right in the first pic & on pictured on Brian's blue 348 in the other pics). It's the rare one that fits the 348 perfectly and comes complete with the latches (latches are a little sticky, though). I originally purchased it from Daniel Pass 12 years ago and it's in excellent shape. I've never used it, as it doesn't really fit the 355 that well, and it's been sitting in storage in my garage for the last 13 years. $4,500 or best offer. PM me if interested. Thx, Judd

3. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I think I won the Ferrari 355 GTS lottery! As discussed earlier, I have a '99 355 GTS with the factory painted top and have been searching for a folding soft top for almost 15 years. About 13+ years ago, I purchased Daniel's 348 FNA soft top. It didn't fit. Couldn't make it work, and sold it a year ago. I also tried a 348 black fiberglass one. It did not fit... slightly different contours, misaligned latches, etc.

The other week I saw a folding soft top advertised for the 355. It looks exactly like the 348 folding soft top that I had sold. The seller swore that it fit the 355. So the price was right & I pulled the trigger. I received it the other day and crap... it fit perfectly. I am convinced that it is the FNA 348 folding soft top and someone spent some $ to modify it to fit the 355. I swapped the latches (late 348 ones) with the late 355 ones I had & it slips on the car super easily. My 15 year search has finally come to an end and I am extremely happy with this purchase! Please excuse all the clutter in my garage :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  4. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #4 judd10, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Hope this post finds everyone well and ready for the holiday season! I got super lucky again... after a 10+ year search, I finally found a fiberglass and a CF targa top. I just received these from a company in Modena, Italy. They were purchased from Cesare Bagni's shop, which was one of Ferrari's original CF suppliers for the 288 GTO, F40 and F50. The story was the black fiberglass roof was used for the CF prototype. The CF roof fits perfectly, but was never completed with the window seals and latches. Pretty excited around the new acquisitions. I started the year with only my OEM painted roof; I am now pretty excited that I have all four: 1) painted, 2) carbon fiber, 3) black fiberglass and 4) folding soft top.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and Qavion like this.
  5. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #5 judd10, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    The fiberglass roof was damaged in shipping. Does anyone know if this is very easy to fix? It seems like the actual fiberglass repair area shouldn't be too hard, but: 1) is it possible to emulate the original texture and 2) how do you get the color to match the rest of the roof? I don't think the black was painted on. I'll try bringing into a body shop, but wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge on these types of repairs?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nice find! How’s the underside look? Weight?

FerrariIcona and BDM348 like this.