A road ragin' Prius in Boulder / Cyclists | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A road ragin' Prius in Boulder / Cyclists

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by BoulderFCar, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, I don't know which one is worse. :D

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A few idiot cyclists make it hard on the others. I particularly remember one time approaching a pair abreast in the middle of my lane approaching a blind curve. I gave a quick beep to let them know I was coming. Sorry, I think that is the COURTEOUS thing to do. They looked back and ignored me. Consequently, I had to come to just about a complete stop at which point I told them how ******* stupid they were to block the road approaching a turn and then got by. I never did this before or since. I do not anger easily and always give cyclists as wide a berth as I safely can. I'm sure they thought I was an a****** but I tried to make my point. They give cyclists a bad reputation. Frankly, I'm amazed more of them don't get killed.

Dave

PS: It's always adults that do stupid things. Kids seem to be much more safety conscious. Go figure.

3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Remember our thread where we noticed all male Prius drivers had beards? :)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So you were approaching a blind curve and wanted to pass? Would you have passed if they were a car instead?

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A gentle tap, not a honk...and a gentle tap on a 308's OEM horn is not a honk, in the same sense as one from a Hummer or other "big honker".

It's a habit I was taught when leaning to drive, back in the ole days when the interstate system was still under construction and many trunk routes were still 2-lane. Actually, the opposite of aggression...simply a signal that you intend to pass, with road conditions and other traffic allowing safety in doing so.

If I gave the impression that I blast around Whiterock like it was a track course, blowing cyclists out of the way or forcing them off the road, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm never less than 100%+ careful. There are plenty of closeby highways where I can turn it loose.

I have nice bike myself, enjoy riding, and follow the rules, of which one of my own is not to obstruct traffic...I see the picture from both sides, as a sports car owner and a cyclist.

However, I continue to remain unconvinced that some cyclists, particularly those who obstinately ride dead-center or to the far left in a lane in a safe-pass zone, and refuse to allow faster yet within-the-speed-limit traffic pass, aren't doing it on purpose.

More than just talking, quite a few listen to ipods as they ride...just as hazardous as texting or talking on a cell.

6. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    No doubt there are some cyclists with an agenda for taking over the road. These idiots are just as blame-worthy as car drivers who have an agenda against cyclists.

And I agree that riding with an ipod is like playing Russian roulette. These people should be nominated for a Darwin award.

It's hard to say without seeing the situation, but sometimes cyclists will intentionally get in the way of cars as they enter a blind curve, b/c it's just that: a blind curve. They don't want a car to run them over from behind because they were already halfway around the turn and the driver didn't see them in time. Now, if they were just being jerks, then refer to my above comment.

Also, horn honking should only really be done from a good distance back. It almost always scares a cyclist, and the last thing I want is to jump while riding a bike in front of a vehicle. It's not cyclists being anal, or anything, it's just human nature that people don't like to be startled, especially when in a dangerous position.

I agree with you, and would never actually carry a gun except for the purpose of defense against someone who clearly came after me to attack me. Getting buzzed isn't an excuse to fire at someone.

Also, my friend has a case that goes in the main triangle of his frame. He keeps his gun there, since, like you said, on your back would be pretty hazardous.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Understood, there is a friendly horn tap and not.

I think this is still all one topic, some cyclists have the same mindset as Prius drivers.

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If they were in line on the shoulder like they should have been, I would have passed by safely without a second thought for me or them. Presumably, a car would have been going faster than 5mph.

Dave

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It was a beep from a considerable distance. I would not want to startle someone into my path either. They were not yet into the curve so seeing them was no issue. Even so, traveling 5mph through a curve on a bike in the car lane would be a good way to get eliminated from the gene pool.

Dave

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    was it a bicycle lane? if it wasn't do you think that's where the bicycles belong?

5 mph is walking pace, even slow cyclists average about 15 mph.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Would be fun to meet up with him in my Ford Excursion 4x4 :)

btw my Prius has Ferrari shields on it ;)

12. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Meet up with who?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sounds like the road ragin Prius driver.

14. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In addition, I always wave to the cyclists I pass.

Yep, it's the "I'm on the moral high ground" thing with some of both.

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If there is a paved shoulder, they belong on that. If not, they should be as far right as possible which leaves safe room to pass on all but the narrowest roads. Impeding car traffic when they don't have to is unsafe, discourteous and invites the rage that many cyclists have experienced even the ones that are not bozos. Cyclists are very common in Colorado and they like many of the same ones sports car drivers like. The last thing I would ever want to do is injure or kill someone. I am always on the lookout, make sure I have margins of error in case I encounter one in the middle of a curve, etc. I have never thrown anything at one, given a finger or tried to pass by closely like some people do. Out of the hundreds, perhaps thousands I encounter on the road each year, it is very rare that anyone does anything annoying to me. All I'm saying is that there are a few out there that do their level best to enrage car drivers and all cyclists pay a price for their discourteous, unsafe behaviour.

Dave

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    All I'm saying is you don't know the laws and maybe letting the actions of a few rule your attitude towards all. If you don't like the laws, then you need to lobby for changes. The laws are a bicycle is another vehicle on the road and has the same rights and space as a car. Now whether that is smart and in the best interest of the cyclist is debatable.

Drivers that let a cyclist anger them so much for a brief delay and not wanting to share the road I'm afraid have many more issues. Anger management? Jealous of physical state? Jealous of mental state? Venting all of life’s wrongs enclosed in a 3,500 lb car vs. a 18 lb. bicycle. A real winner those drivers are I must say, I bet it makes them feel better about themselves. Most likely that cyclist is a husband, father, wife, or mother.

18. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Sorry guys, Rob is right here.

As an avid cyclist AND a Ferrari owner, I'm just a little bit sick of the "I'm-in-a-car-so-I-have-the-right-to-the-road" attitudes.

If there's a paved shoulder, he11 yeah, I'm on it. If there's heavy traffic, you better believe that I'm as far to the right as I can get.

That's called common sense and self-preservation.

99% of bicyclists do follow the rules. A majority of drivers do, too.

But the LAW is just as Rob pointed out: Bicyclists have a right to the road. So they might slow you down for a few seconds. BFD. Get over yourselves.

If cyclists and motorists are BOTH courteous, respectful, and following the law, then we don't have a problem.

19. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    You're an @$$hole.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm a former A.B.L.A. (predecessor to USCF) rider and I HATE bicycles on the road. You never know what they are going to do and it is very rare to see one actually observing the rules of the road that govern them just as much as me. A pretty fair number of them appear to have a death wish. Mostly I can't wait to get past and away from them. Just like motorcycles a few bad ones really have spoiled it for the rest.

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave

No, Rob is not right, at least about Colorado.

See link: http://colobikelaw.com/law.php

Pay particular attention to 5 and 6.

Dave

22. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    If 99% of bicyclists follow the rules, and bicycles are the "same" as a car, why is it that every single time I pass a biker on a narrow road then come to a red light, he then re-passes me on the side (and goes through the light), forcing me to pass him again about a block later? Seriously. Aren't they supposed to stop in traffic just like everyone else?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This was my main point...

In regards to #5 a car shouldn't be passing where it normally wouldn't pass another car. That is a little subjective, but an example where not to pass is a blind tight corner where a car or motorcycle coming the other may be close to the center line and with no time to react requires you to be on your side of the center line. Exceptions, but most single lane roads don't have room from a car and bicyclist even to the far right. Car should make a safe pass with plenty of room

In regards to #6 as Bradley said of course a good courteous cyclist that has a little self preservation will ride as far right and on a good condition shoulder not riding two abreast with cars behind. Many cyclists argue a couple feet to left of the line is more visible than close to the line, but that is debatable. Also consider most shoulders aren't heavily driven on and get all the "marbles" and trash from the roadway, often not feasible for fragile cycling tires.

Don't shoot me other cyclists, but I'm almost to the point of thinking there needs to be laws against cyclists riding on certain roads. I wish government would do more about bicycle lanes and trails, we are one fat ass nation. My most important point is that drivers that are normally nice, courteous, and charitable otherwise in their lives have some form of evil come over them around cyclists. Take a breath and think twice, under current laws they have the right to share the road, it is not right to be a vigilante. That husband, father, wife, and mother should be able to make it home in one piece.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is the #1 problem I see cyclists make. Cyclists "California" stop, will run a red light especially staying with the pack, and then pass cars back on right.

Doesn't explain most cases, but frustrating to me when a car late brakes and basically drives like an idiot to get ahead of me under braking. The car should just settle down and remain in position. A bicycle can also out accelerate a car up to 20-25 MPH and many drivers don't realize that. In long stop lines I will go up the right side to the line, that is safer and less intrusive to me than staying back in the line as cars stopping and starting consistent speeds try to get by. At least coming off a stop cars have a linear consistent acceleration and takes less variables out. Now on 4 way stop situations I won't jump ahead, I will stay in line and often move to middle of lane so cars don't jump by not holding anyone up. I will "track stand" behind next car and move up gradually like everyone else moving to far right at stop.

25. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    90% of cars and bike riders are fine, courteous and reasonable in their behavior. For the other 10% that cause all the problems, the car drivers are overly impatient, and the bike riders are usually flagrantly violating the law, in my experience. Passing on the right is a good example, and a great way to cause an accident. I remember an incident I saw where a long line of cars was waiting at a light, a car in the right lane was inching up to turn into a business entrance, signal on. Bike came flying up on the right, car turned- wham! I felt sorry for the guy, as the dental work alone must have been extensive, but that's what happens when you drive like an idiot. As for bikes accelerating faster than cars to 25 mph, don't count on it.