A road ragin' Prius in Boulder / Cyclists | FerrariChat

A road ragin' Prius in Boulder / Cyclists

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by BoulderFCar, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1 BoulderFCar, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    So late yesterday afternoon I'm driving down South Boulder Rd. in my wife's SL550. A beautiful day to have the top down and I'm cruising along at 35-40MPH in the right lane. I get to Foothill PKWY and a white Prius cuts it pretty close merging in front of me and then slows way down. Whatever, I signal and move into the left lane and continue at 35MPH. The guy pulls even to me and then slides over to move me into the oncomong lane. Really? He has to slow down for a bus in the right lane and I go by him still at about 35MPH. By now I'm finally catching on that he's honked off about something. I signal and move into the right lane and he now screams from behind the bus, pulls in front of me and slams on the brakes. WTF? I leave nuts alone so I take the next right to be done with it. This guy is about 5'4" and 140. A little guy with a hard on in a Prius. Only in Boulder.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  3. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #3 BoulderFCar, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Could be. He was acting like he was on a steamroller. It was just so stupid it's hard to explain. Road rage at 35MPH with a weenie in a hybrid? I always thought if I was in a road rage incident I'd like it to be a Bullet style chase scene at 100MPH with tires squeelin' and hubcaps flying. Not some dork in a hybrid at bicycle speeds. It's just silly. I can't find the rage.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Clearly, he has immersed himself in Napoleonic strategy.

In this instance, he reversed the field of: Battle of Austerlitz
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Austerlitz#French_plans_and_dispositions

I was... under fierce and continuous canister fire... Many soldiers, now incessantly engaged in battle from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., had no cartridges left. I could do nothing but retreat...

—Lieutenant General Przhebishevsky

Eerily, if you decrypt the letters using my secret formula;
    L-i-e-u-t-e-n-a-n-t-G-e-n-e-r-a-l-P-r-z-h-e-b-i-s-h-e-v-s-k-y

Becomes:
    B-o-u-l-d-e-r-F-C-a-r-S-i-l-v-e-r-S-u-b-s-c-r-i-b-e-d-T-o-m-M

Coincidence? I think not!

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I was just in boulder 3 weeks ago. It is just like california. I feel sorry for you guys... I hope real Coloradins rebel against the californication of colorado.

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Boulder has been known as "The People's Republic of Boulder" for decades. The rest of the state is mostly amused.

On the subject of pious people who drive Prius's, they seem to come in two stripes. One type feels a need to keep the rest of us neanderthals from destroying the planet and do their best to block traffic. The others seem to feel that since they have one, they have license to drive it just as fast as it will go. One of my fondest 430 memories was when I caught up to a line of traffic on a two lane road with a 65mph limit doing about 40. I could not see the lead car. I gave people in front of me a chance to pass, but they sat on their hands. Finally when I got to a long enough stretch, I dumped it into third and floored it. When I reached the lead car at 120+, it was, you guessed it, a Pius driver no doubt feeling pretty good about himself. Once I passed, everyone did----wierd.

Dave

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Funny. 9 out of 10 Prius drivers are Little Old Ladies here. LOL ;)

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    So easy to say, but so hard to do. I salute your restraint!

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

the number one goal of any drive is to return home safely. That means avoid the nuts on the road. ;)

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes but decades ago I said to my brother who lives in CO how polite people are with their driving. His reply was that "In Colorado concealed carry permits are freely given".

The more californians move to your state the more your rights will be taken away. Here in the PRK (peoples republic of kalifornia) our Senator I'm pretty sure still has her permit to carry but the rest of us have no right to protect ourselves and don't even have a castle doctrine even in our own homes! So if our state government can't tax us to redistribute the wealth it will let the criminals out (because we have no money) and let the criminals steal from us. How's that for redistribution of wealth?

11. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #11 BoulderFCar, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    It's easy for me to do. First, the other guy has issues and you kind of feel sorry for someone that is that miserable. Second, I always assume the other guy is crazy and armed. It's not worth getting a nick in my car let alone the risk of me or anyone around me being harmed for the ego stroke of a confrontation. Those things are always top of mind with me. Just let 'em go.

As an aside, I had just picked up a handgun I'm taking back to Florida with me. I had a 40S&W and 100 rounds in the trunk. The raw materials were there for a disaster. It does not take a lot of imagination to see how something like this gets out of control.

12. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I was in Bolder a few weekends ago and the light turned yellow as i entered the intersection at Arapaphoe/36th. When i got to end of the intersection, the camera took a picture of me. I am currently waiting to receive the ticket in the mail.

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agree completely. I've had people pass, then slow way down to goad me, not to mention other situations. I don't take the bait. Eventually they get bored.

Dave

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I guess that's one way to get it donw. We do have a "make my day" law in CO. We also get to vote on any tax increase and so far the state government is batting zero. They don't even bother to try any more even with dems in charge.

Dave

15. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep, they just find creative ways around the word 'tax'. Like the recent increase in vehicle registration fees. It's not technically a tax, it's a fee, so they didn't float it out there for approval...

16. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    About 7 weeks ago, on a Friday, myself and about a twenty other Saleen Mustangs and a Ford GT went up to Boulder for the Shelby museum. On our way across town to Rt 93 afterwards we got the finger and the thumbs down from over a dozen people as we cut across town.

17. 07turbo

07turbo Rookie

Aug 29, 2009
    It must have been the Saleen's, cause all I got in the GT were thumbs up.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    In LA, its easier to pick up chicks in a Prius than a Ferrari. Sad but true...

19. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    Bill,
    Good to see you over here :)

At every light I got the finger or a thumbs down while cutting across town, and a few people pulled up next to me to give me a thumbs down. We did get a few thumbs-up, so it all balanced out. With the Prius being the "official car" of Boulder I expected it :)

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I just laugh and point at them...hilarity usually ensues!

CW

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    True enough but the outcry already has politicians talking about rolling back some of it and I'm sure it will be raised as an issue in next year's elections. Compared to raising income of sales tax statewide, it's really very small potatoes.

Dave

22. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I agree. I think the breakdown is about 70% former, 30% latter. Over the years I have created a mental log of what kind of cars are best to get behind in traffic in order to press through.

The best ones to follow are, BMW, American cars slightly geared towards performance, Dodge pickup trucks, VW with teenagers at the wheel and the occasional Honda. Prius drivers, especially at highway speeds, will occasionally drive faster than the surrounding traffic.

But more often than not, I have found that Prius owners are doing their good duty to the good earth by driving slowly. So if you come to a light and there is a Prius and say a Volkswagen Jetta ahead of you, I say get behind the VW. Most likely you'll be passing the Prius.

-F

23. MRyan

MRyan Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Louisville, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't know...
    Most of the time I'm the one getting passed by the Prius (especially off the line)! For a while I thought all Prius were hybrid turbos!
    At least they look cool, right?

24. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There are lots of Priuses here in Dallas. I've never noticed any particularly out of the ordinary behavior from their drivers.

I find that hardcore bicyclists exhibit the in-your-face FU behavior here. They'll ride two abreast on a two lane road, or worse, one will ride down the center of the lane, and refuse to move over and let automobile traffic pass.

25. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    I make it a point to pass all Priuses as fast as humanly possible given the road conditions. I like to scare the bejeezuz out of them.