A NEW 85 512 Boxer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A NEW 85 512 Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I see it now thanks! These follow the "frame" followed by "model" format.

These cars are fun, what other make to you get to argue endlessly just to title and buy plates? lol

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

VINs are required for cars sold in the US, by NHTSA. The factory did not put the VIN plates on any 512 BBI since they didn't send any to the US. The conversion companies added the plates. That's why digits 9 (year) and 10-11 (manufacturing plant) are not coded. These can only be the OEM codes and since Ferrari did not send any Boxers to the US, the conversion company can't put a year or plant on the plate. Considering that the conversion company probably stamped the SN on the plate, I think someone else etched the "year" and the "i" for whatever purposes. The etched i is redundant. The plate says 512 BBi on the lower right. The "i" on the lower left is actually incorrect. I am reasonably sure that the engine type for the 512 BB was JUST F102 BB.

3. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Bryan,

The Ferrari factory assigned the chassis number, stamped and installed the VIN plates in the engine compartment and on the steering column of my Boxer.

I have ALL of the documentation from Amerispec regarding my car, it lists exactly what they did to federalize it, along with the check list, signed off by the techs for each of the 37 various jobs that were completed. The only "labels" they added were a "glovebox label" and a "door label". The car already had a VIN # assigned to it before it arrived in the US.

I also have the car's purchase receipt from the Ferrari factory, air freight docs, certificate of origin, conversion invoices, custom house broker docs, etc. etc...

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Not sure how they came from the factory, but there is lots of overspray in the engine compartment on the gas tank strap as well as the front compartment. Unless it's all a reflection.

5. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Cool Badge zjpj !

Seb