A few questions with Testarossa clutch install | FerrariChat

A few questions with Testarossa clutch install

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mitchell kohrmann, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitchell kohrmann

Oct 7, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Arthur kohrmann
    Hi everyone, I purchased a 1989 Testarossa in the fall, did my own major over the winter, and am now about to install a new clutch to get it ready for summer! I’ve run into a problem, my new clutch kit didn’t come with the spacer and studs. Before disassembling everything, I took a peak through the inspection ports and the pressure plate and spacer seem completely different. There are no records of a clutch being done on my car that I have, I’m wondering if anyone has seen, or recognizes the clutch my car currently has. I’m assuming it would make my life easier to find replacement disks for the existing one. If not, I believe I need to purchase the 9 studs I found on a diagram along with the spacer, and have it all rebalanced. If anyone has any input it would help a lot. Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Did you look in the workshop manual? Explains the size of the shims.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    And maybe a flywheel? :(. That seems a very different design with smaller diameter friction discs and a completely different strategy for the intermediate plate?

I've no information on what you've got presently, but here's a photo I saved that reminded people that "spacers go under the leaf" (as they are zip tied in your new assembly):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Mitchell kohrmann

Oct 7, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Arthur kohrmann
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I do have a manual, but I was more worried/curious about my intermediate plate and pressure plate looking nothing like what I’ve seen on other cars. I’m hoping that when I get into it, the flywheel will be compatible with my new kit, and also salvageable.

That picture helps greatly, if you have any more I would appreciate it! I want to make sure I have everything I need before I take things apart, but from what I see through my inspection port it’s pretty hard to judge given my setup looks completely unique.

5. Mitchell kohrmann

Oct 7, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Arthur kohrmann
  6. Mitchell kohrmann

Oct 7, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Arthur kohrmann
    Alright I have one more update. I figured I wouldn’t make any progress without taking it apart, so I went for it today. I was shocked that it only took roughly an hour to get to the clutch. Anyway, the whole assembly looks odd, and unfortunately the flywheel is aftermarket. I’ve been trying to decide if I should keep this aftermarket thing going, or give in and buy the factory flywheel, spacer and hardware. The clutch discs have no part number on them, but they do look very similar to the brand Spec’s logo and writing. Here are some pictures of everything taken apart, if anyone has an idea of where to find this clutch, or any of the components I need to go back to factory that would be great. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login