A Classic as Daily Driver | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A Classic as Daily Driver

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ferrariman1492, Dec 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #51 texasmr2, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I ran across this classic Mustang in my neigborhood this morning. I did not speak with the owner but it has an upgraded brake system aswell as wheels and tires, suspension and exhaust so I think it see's alot of road time as a DD. I also see almost on a daily basis a black/gold SS396/454 and that thing is SHWEET!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #52 ForzaV12, Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for the comments re: the GS.
    Although I should mention that vintage American iron is very reliable and there are really no issues with driving one every day. The Buick, my old Chrysler New Yorker and many others I've run, have HVAC systems that are every bit as cold or hot as any new car. They dont have digital controls like the system on a recent S-class Mercedes that I owned. Interestingly, the Mercedes(and my modern 5 Series) had its climate control module fail at great expense. The cost(if not under warranty) would have been more than what it would have cost to completely replace every component on the Buick. As to the carb, the Buick carb has been rebuilt once in 30 years-doubtful a modern injection system would last that long with such minimal expense. The biggest issue I've found with carbs is trying to find decent gas for them. Our California blend is simply awful. I do use additives with good results.
    The GM Turbo 400 transmissions are as reliable as anything currently being produced, as is the 12 bolt rear end. They do require fluid changes once in a while-inexpensive as is the transmission rebuild on the rare times its needed.
    My 67 Corvette is still running its original engine, trans and rear end. It still happily revs to 6500 rpm and always starts right up.
    I agree with you that older iron will not handle as well as today's sporting automobiles, but , with a few simple upgrades(tires,shocks and brake fluid/pads) they do very well. Are they as safe? No. But I have never for one instant, purchased a vehicle based upon how well it would survive smashing into something. If had had done so, I'd have never owned any number of simply wonderful automobiles over the years. I do keep my cars in good working order, always run excellent tires and pay attention while I'm driving.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Damn that is one sexy beast!! Are you running stock/cast manifolds or aftermarket tubes with the side exhaust?

Nice! ;)

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just met the owner and he is a older gentleman, atleast 70+yrs old. He told me his wife of 50+yrs finally got tired of his moaning and groaning and let him buy it 2yrs ago :D. Matching numbers and an auto but a DD with upgraded a/c and a few other items. The interior is original and like new and he asked if I wanted to see the engine, 289, but he has some mobility issues so I did not want to impose on our first meeting.

He saw my Miata and said he has always wanted one, that was cool and shows he is a REAL car guy, good times :).

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yep...high cool factor. i have owned 3 of them in my day. lower the car and literally watch its look change! the raked wind screen is sooo cool. put headers and a nice resonator and the sound is not beatable!!!!!

high cool factor!!!!

6. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #56 ForzaV12, Dec 28, 2012
    Agreed! The Alfa GTV is laughably undervalued IMO. I picked this one up for pocket change. runs fantastic, perfect size and barn find rough. Drivetrain is fresh and I've attached a rendering of my plans for the little Alfa.

7. moretti124guy

moretti124guy Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    Around the city I drive my classic Mini

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

oh yeah!!!!! a gtam version....what a beauty!!!!!!!!

9. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I was thinking that a 57 Cadillac Seville would be a nice car to drive nine months out
    of the year since my drive is only 5 minutes to work!

10. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    One word: Restomod

Classic looks, modern convenience.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yepper!

The '67 Mustang I recently mentioned had the upgraded A/C and resto-radio.

12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The entire set-up is factory except that I replaced the chambered, concealed portions with the same design in a bigger pipe diameter.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nice!!

Now you should know your gonna be banned without sharing some video, rat??

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm thinking of buying a daily driver replacement by this upcoming fall. The idea of an older car I've always wanted has interested me, but I'm a little worried about reliability for daily driving. Ideally it should be able to handle winters (as far north as Baltimore, nothing more) so I was initially thinking awd (Toyota FJ, Land Rover Series II, etc).

Any ideas? It doesn't necessary have to be awd for mid-atlantic winters, but under $15k for sure. Heck, I was stupid enough to drive my rwd Z in the winters there without proper tires (only on plowed roads of course). If I can't find a decent used car, I may just buy a new Subaru Impreza for $17k or so and not worry about maintenance, tires, clutch, brakes, etc for a few years.

15. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    Series II would never work. I had a series 3 and it was fun to own but can not really travel at highway speeds. Good daily driver on the farm though!

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The biggest issue I find with the classics is the transmissions. Not enough gearing. 3speed autos, 4 speed manuals, etc, really keep you in the slow lane. They just can't keep up with the newer stuff. They stink if not tuned right, and you will make the guy behind you mad, because of the smell. That's just how old cars used to be. Fuel consumption is another issue.

I love the classic iron. But if I were to get yet another classic vette, it would be a retro rod. C6 driveline and suspension with a 72 body. With a trick custom interior. I would drive that everyday, rain or shine.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, now you're talking. Frankly, going down the road while looking at the rear view mirror is over rated.

Dale

19. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What a great looking car! I'd love to do something similar to a 67 or 68 Mustang fastback.

21. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    A very common and easy fix for that is to swap in a modern 5 or 6 speed gearbox. Most older small block V8 cars can fit the 5 speed box out of the last gen of Camaro, and it has a nice tall 5th gear for highway cruising. The box fits to the std bell housing and you need to get the driveshaft shortened, and make a rear tranny mount, or swap parts around and make it all fit, but it's really common to do.

My business partner has a very early 80's olds coupe and now it has a 5 speed in it. He did a bunch of research and he was able to do it all as a bolt in swap. Pretty easy, just took a bit of time on the internet to find all the pieces, but it works perfectly, since it's all factory parts, that just never happened to come on that car.

He also swapped in the TB fuel injection off a small pickup and after getting it tuned, the car runs flawlessly. Again, I think he spent more time figuring out what would fit and how it all worked together, but what's interesting is that his entire car, except for a couple of adaptive wiring plugs is all original factory stuff, just nothing tha came from the factory on that car.

All done he has exactly what he wants, with a rebuilt engine, new seals in the rear end, and new rubber, he has what is, for him, the perfect daily driver. It's a classic looking car with the performance and reliability of a new car, and that is what he wanted, so it can be done.

22. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I'd love to have something like this as a daily driver.

Alfa Romeo : Spider veloce in Alfa Romeo | eBay Motors

I'd only drive it to work. My commute is about 12 miles round trip on 35 mph roads. The main thing I'd need in Houston is very reliable A/C. A car without A/C is useless in Houston during May-September. I always have the Ferrari as a backup car and my wife's car for when we need something modern. I take public transportation to work quite often too so I think I might actually be able to live with an older car as a DD.

23. mbzgurl

mbzgurl Karting

Oct 3, 2010
    I live in Arizona and I have owned a lot of Mercedes, know them well. The older classic Mercedes airconditioners are not the coldest. They are called climate control.

The 300SE Heckflosse and the 1970-71 280SE 3.5 would be a good choice if you are looking for a classic Mercedes to drive, plenty of room for the kids. Air-conditioning was an option, so if the car you get doesn’t have A/C, no worries, there are substitute systems available that work better than the Behr’s.

But personally, if I had to pick a classic, it’d be a Studebaker. Reliable, still looks good today, has that European style. Kids will fit just fine in the back seat.

24. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Nobody has mentioned Rolls.....safety(at least mass), good AC, and certainly comfortable. I'm struck by all the comments about fixes, when the OP is looking for a DD, presumably from Day 1!

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    How about an early 80's or late 70's BMW 6 series, you can even get a M6 with the original M1 inline 6 motor.

Another great choice for really deep pockets is a fully sorted Mb 300 sel 6.3, class speed Ac AT and relatively good safety.

Then there is always a Jag XJS, great V12 motor, classic looks, and you can still find vert low mileage ones for little $$$$.

Any 80's bently also fits the bill.