A Classic as Daily Driver | FerrariChat

A Classic as Daily Driver

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ferrariman1492, Dec 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maybe I'm just getting weird as I approach 40 in a couple weeks, but I'm tired of having a modern car as my daily driver. I'd like to have something interesting, fun and reliable as an every day car. Problem is, I live in Arizona so it must have a STELLAR air conditioner.

Prefer something European with easy parts availability. I have two little kids, so four seats are required. (A coupe is okay)

Any ideas? Remember....it has to have a cool cabin in an Arizona summer.....no small feat

For example....a nice BMW 2002 would be cool, but the climate control is worse than my old Ferrari.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    E30 M3 or E34 M5

3. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Both of those would work and I love BMW, well at least the older ones. Another option might be a classic mustang even if you have to add an aftermarket AC unit. Every time I see one in the DC area, I think I should drive one for a DD.

MB

4. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Pick up an E34 Alpina if available? More unique than M5s, great build quality, old but modern enough.

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Perhaps Alfa GTV? High cool factor

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1M!

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    You can probably adapt a good air conditioning unit to an old classic. Any old classic, pretty much. I love the alfa GTV's and I also love the BMW E9 Coupés. I currently drive a 635csi which is not exactly a classic, but it's got it's charm. I hope to "upgrade" to one of the aforementioned cars at some point. Perhaps a Lancia Fulvia, if I can find one for sale...

8. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Hit up Junglistluder on Fchat here. He is really into the old but not too old BMW's...he can give you some valuable insight on the E30/E28/34 BMW's...
    MB

9. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Ferrari 456? Cheap V-12 4 Seats

10. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Sorry guys, old cars are just that, old cars. They don't provide nearly the same level of reliability or creature comforts that we've come to expect in modern cars.

Prior to electronic ignitions you had to replace points every 3,000 miles. The oil change interval was the same, so if you drove the car 12,000 miles a year you were doing 4 tune ups a year. Carb maintenance wasn't as bad, but there were always things going wrong with these cars.

Never mind that the A/C and vent systems weren't nearly as well done in those days, not even close.

I'm not saying that you can't use an older car for a daily driver, but the amount of maintenance that you are going to have to put into it to keep it running is a lot more than what people expect today.

Nowadays, seals are better, things don't leak or wear out as often, rubber parts are much better, and cars in general are a lot better engineered. Air conditioning systems cool and heat far better, and don't break down nearly as frequently.

You will get better service out of a newer car and if you put a few bucks into things like tires and wheels, and probabl upgrade the shocks and springs or bars, you will have something that is faster, more reliable, just as much fun to drive, and a lot less expensive in the long run than any 25 or 30 year old car. Yes, it won't be as unique, but the PITA you get for the unique aspects of an old car just aren't worth it for a daily driver unless you do the maintenance yourself, and just enjoy wrenching on old cars (that got old for me a long time ago).

If you jack up the vin plate and go through it entirely, putting in new seals, interior, and all the parts needed to make it a reliable car, you will spend two or three times the amount that you would just buying something newer.

Older cars like you are talking about here are better kept as sunny day and weekend cars and not used as daily drivers. That way the amount of enjoyment versus the maintenance is in a better balance.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I still use a 1996 Porsche 993 Targa as my daily driver. It has 130,000 miles now - I had a valve job and clutch done at about 90,000.

The AC is fine for Dallas, so long as you do not park it outside all day in the sun.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have a 1996 993 C4S. It's a wonderful mix of classic and modern.

There are very few things like it.

Matt

13. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The end of a breed after 30<> years. My stepson has a 997, but I would not trade him for any amount of money.

14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My father had a 1996 993 Carrera 2 for a few years, and it was a spectacular car. A proper 911, maybe the last one (the 993 series)... The 993 Turbo is my Testarossa/Countach poster car. I still dream about it... What can I say, I'm young...

15. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have an E30 bimmer. (convertible) The a/c sucks! A 911 would be great (I have one of those, too....a 1988) but the a/c suck as well. Only a "new" 911 would really cut it here in the AZ heat as a daily driver.

Any old Mercedes that might fit the bill? I don't know them very well.

16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I now drive a '91 944 as my daily. It's somewhere in the classic/modern mix. Starts up reliably. The maintenance schedule is more than a Toyota, less than a carbed/distributor car. AC is good, will (I think) be better when I have it looked at this spring. And, well, since it's a cabrio, the A/C can be a little weak.

I'd say go for it. Nothing really bad can come of your classic car experiment.

But one word of advice: have a back-up plan. A 20+ year-old car may be reliable, but when it comes time for a fix, you may find yourself waiting a few days for parts.

17. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    The only thing I know that could fill your bill would be an excellent W116.

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    You should be trolling bringatrailer on a daily basis. lots of possibilities there.....

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree with this gentleman.

I own a 2013 M3 but to be honest I liked my 2002 Tii or my first M3 better. The m3 was one of the first offered, 1990 give or take not sure of the year only 192 hp but great for a driver person.

As someone posted I would go for an older M3 or M5. I would not go to old but they are awesome cars to drive

Good luck :)

Lee

20. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I have a e34 535i/5 as a daily driver right now and it works flawlessly. I drive 6-700 miles a week without a problem. Just find one that has been babied and it will run forever. Also consider a e32 735i/5.

21. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Other than the 90s Porsches and for better AC, an old Benz would be my choice. I have soft spots for the W123 wagons, 90s 500E partially built by Porsche, and 80s 2.3-16 Cosworths.

22. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Those are the facts.

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If you leave them completely original, that is.

One can put a discrete Vintage Air kit in anything.

24. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I like the older Bimmers and Benzs, but as a safety geek I wouldn't want an older car with no airbags and older crash technology as a daily driver. There's just too many 4000lb+ SUV's out there with distracted drivers. As much as I like an e30 or 964 Porsche, I wouldn't want to be t-boned by a Suburban in one.

25. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    I can speak from experience here, my daily driver is a 70 Ford Torino Cobra. If the Cobra is in the shop, my daily driver is an 85 Countach. If they are both in the shop, I stay home.

I don't own any other car besides these 2 cars.

I don't like the styling of modern cars much. They all look the same.

My suggestion would be to have a mechanic type guy swing by your house once or twice a month and just check up on your cars and do some maintenance. This can avoid problems before they start. And get AAA gold plan, 3 free tows a year. If it breaks down, just tow it home and have your guy come fix it. Expect a few breakdowns and dont worry about it when it happens. It's all part of the fun.

The AC can be added to any car, Leno has some AC system he is always talking about for old cars.

This old car lifestyle really has its drawbacks, but ya just gotta try not to worry about it. It's more fun than driving a honda, even tho the honda is way more reliable.