83 mondial QV coup | FerrariChat

83 mondial QV coup

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by altaman, Nov 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    I have an oppurtunity to buy an 83 mondial QV coup with yep only 5k miles and in perfect condition. 5k service and new fuse box, should I hold out for the 3.2 or a T or should I get this car. it is also my perfect color combo-silver with red int. also what about horsepower is there a noticable diff??? can anyone help with this very tough decision( I thought getting married was hard)

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The '83 Mondial is a great car, more power than the 2 valve M8, but not as much as the 3.2. I haven't driven a 2 valve or a 3.2 for comparison though. It sounds great, it goes well, it fits 4 people and has a decent trunk. I think it's a great, useful, fun Ferrari. The interior is very nice. It's also pretty easy to work on.

That being said, it does not handle as well as a 308 nor is it as fast. The metric wheels require incredibly expensive TRX tires (not the same TRX tires that the metric 308 wheels take, these are $400+ EACH). When the tires are toast, you just buy new wheels that take modern rubber.

I would be very suspicious of a car with only 5K miles. That is either a SERIOUS garage queen that may need a whole lot of work to be reliable, or the odometer was disconnected for a long time. Got any more details on the car? We have some serious Fchat sleuths on this site!

Birdman

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I have an '84 QV coupe. It really is a great car. I'd be sceptical about the 5K miles, unless he's got documents that back it up. Look at the pedals, carpets and seats for evidence of more use, and be sure to have a PPI done. You say he did a 5K service. What about the timing belt? If it's over 20 years old, I'd be sure to have it and all the other belts changed before driving it around too much.

That said, if the price is right and it really is a "time warp" car with only 5K, and in good condition, IMHO, go for it.

BTW, if power is what you're after, don't expect to find it in any Mondial, or any 308 or 328 for that matter. They are plenty fun to drive, but they are not muscle cars with horsepower to spare. You can find a few HP here and there with things you do, but short of supercharging it, it ain't gonna pin you in your seat. They handle well, are a heck of a lot of fun, but most modern cars are going to leave you standing at the stop light. On the other hand, you'll be the one driving the Ferrari. It's all a matter of mindset.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Mondial is a great car and one of the best Ferraris for the street. While it does not appeal to the 'point and squirt' power crowd, the balance of engine, gearbox and suspension is sublime. The satisfaction of the sound, feel and getting that balance all right is a pure joy - if you don't, you can go back and try again. And you can carry the kids/luggage on a trip across town or cross country!

A ppi is really mandatory. The only big gotchas are the belts as said before and with Mondials the electrical system needs to be fully checked with every function working. Would also agree that no matter which Mondial one gets - 8, qv, 3,2 or t - upgrading the tires is the single best thing to do as the stock Michelin or Goodyears really are not good, and the car really 'wakes up' with better rubber.

Good luck and have fun