'82 Mondial coupe in Texas $20,000. Good deal or not? | FerrariChat

'82 Mondial coupe in Texas $20,000. Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bitzman, Jan 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw an ad for a '82 Mondial coupe in Addison TX
    at a colelctor car dealer. It has 27,000 miles.
    They want $20,000. Would that be a good deal. What about the $5000 it cost to hav ethe 30,000 mile dealer service. Anybody know that all black car?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I hate to say it but if the car is nearly perfect in every way, but needs a full service, it's barely worth 19K.

3. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    #3 speedy, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    I don't know what the story on this car is. My wife and I went by the dealership about a month or so ago and he said it had been sold. I'm sure what he meant to say was that he sent the car to the Leake Auto Auction. High bid on the car was $13,500 so he took it back into his inventory I suppose.

That's all I know....

4. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    May be a touch of humor there....but yes, sounds like about the right price...

5. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Assuming very good paint, good interior and everything works value is between 17K and 23K depending on how long since last full service. Middle retail is 18, 500
    Adjustment down if still has TRX tires and plan to drive it, figure $1600 for new repop 16 inch wheels.
    Fuse box upgrade is useful--if not done expect electrical gremlins until done--around 1K at GT Auto Parts.
    Books and manuals are another grand if missing.

That said the 82 Mondial 8 is a great driving fun car--not planning on selling mine anytime soon--at least not at near market prices.

6. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    What's a grand here and there for wheels? Sounds like a fun car- you can't buy an Accord for $20k. Have a ppi and if no major issues buy,drive and enjoy.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #8 hank sound, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    And then there's Birdman's (wife's) blue QV coupe - - with no issues. Check that out in our Fchat ads, around page four or so.

But I would bet that the beautiful 89 t coupe that Wade is referring to, will jump up in bid price, dramatically over the ending period of the auction. With only 43 examples in the states, they are becoming quite popular!!!

Hey, family economics play a big part in this. If I find a car that I really want - and if switching from Duck Horn, to one notch above "Two Buck Chuck", allows me to buy that dream car................. it's a done deal...............ahh - OK, what the Hell, gimmi dat Duck Horn!!!! (see.....nothing is given up anyway - and life is beautiful!!:):)

Cheers, Hank

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Look at Birdmans, it has had about $10K worth of work done beyond a regular service. Coolant and fuel lines are expensive to buy and to install. Birdmans will be a good driver. The TX car if it's the one I'm thinking about has had threads. I think it's the one where someone talked about a minor interior fire. Birdmans is the real deal, to purchase any other of that vintage unless spending big dollars for something of show quality would be foolish IMO. Ask someone who is personally cleaning up a perfectly good driver.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Not the same car

11. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
  12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That t coupe is very cool but I think the mileage is holding it back. Great wheels, super color, looks to be in nice shape, but... 80k miles. It would not bother me but I know it bothers others. Nevertheless someone will get a honey of a luved car.

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Yea, but we already drink Two Buck Chuck ($3.50 in VA.) Where do we go from here? Oh well, no matter, life is good.

Dave

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope so... just a couple of years ago "they" wouldn't sell me a rusted-out t Coupe for under $22k even though it needed about $40k in work.

It's a good thing for me that it isn't a dark-colored car 'cause I'd be road-trippin' this weekend ;)

To the OP; by looking at the pictures on the dealer's website and if I have the right car ('82 Coupe, blk/red with 348 wheels and 27,818 Miles) $20,950 is too high.

BTW, according to this website the car sold for $12k at auction (Sat, Apr 10, 2010 10:00 AM Central).
    http://www.proxibid.com/asp/CatalogPrint.asp?aid=27223
    Image Unavailable, Please Login