'81 Mondial Post Meltdown Question | FerrariChat

'81 Mondial Post Meltdown Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by zeiglerr, Oct 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zeiglerr

zeiglerr Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Reid Z.
    #1 zeiglerr, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm working on a friend's Mondial that had the typical meltdown. He already bought a nice 456 and we're getting this one ready to sell, so he's not interested in putting a new fuse panel in this one. It has blade fuses, so I think it was updated at some point and the board seems ok. I've cleaned all of the contacts and will be checking amps on all of the "consumers" and restoring all of the ground connections. I ordered a new connector from Ricambi and will re-do all of those connections. There was one brown wire with black stripe that was not connected or fell out of the connector when I took it off. I don't have a wiring diagram (any idea where I can find one??) but if anybody can tell me where this wire goes I'd greatly appreciate it. Another problem I'm having is sorting out the fuses because there are more fuses in the block on the left side than are annotated on the cover. Maybe because the fuse block is a QV model? Thanks in advance, -Reid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
  3. zeiglerr

zeiglerr Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Reid Z.
    Thanks very much. What a great website!! I found an owner's manual there that I was looking for with descriptions of the relay and fuse functions. It's nice to see an owner's manual that assumes some intellegence on the part of the owner. Unfortunately, the website didn't have a circuit diagram, so I'm still looking. I'd be happy to buy one, but just haven't seen one anywhere. Thanks again, -Reid

4. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Do a search. I know that I got mine on the internet, and that I got the "address" from F-chat.

5. zeiglerr

zeiglerr Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Reid Z.
    Jurgen, I don't know how I missed it on eBay because I've been looking. I just bought it.
    Thanks for the link! -Reid

6. zeiglerr

zeiglerr Karting

Oct 23, 2009
    Lansdale, PA
    Full Name:
    Reid Z.
    After a lot of time in the wiring diagram and looking at Mondial Owner's Manuals from several years, I found out that my fuse box has been updated to one from an '85 Mondial 3.2 and the plastic cover is the original from my '81 Mondial 8. The tipoff was having 11 fuses on the top left rather than 9. I reinstalled new relays per the '85 manual and just have one issue with the relay that was switched from a seatbelt relay to a relay for raising the headlights. Frank sent me a tech bulletin that covers disconnecting some seatbelt buzzer wires in the passenger footrest area which is a necessary part of updating to the newer fuse box, so I'm sorting that out (buzzer is long gone and just taped wires remain) Meanwhile, I jumped the contacts for that relay and everything electrical works as it should. WaaaHooooo!!