6th Annual Unobtainium Supply Ferrari BBQ: Sunday 19 JULY | FerrariChat

6th Annual Unobtainium Supply Ferrari BBQ: Sunday 19 JULY

Discussion in 'New England' started by Verell, Jun 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #1 Verell, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    Enjoy a drive thru back-roads in north-central MA to Groton. Then visit with fellow FChat members & enjoy some of the best BBQ & other food you've ever eaten.

DIRECTIONS:
    Please send end eMAIL with your official RSVP & # of people coming to:

[email protected]

I need a headcount by 12:00 PM Sunday 12 JULY so I can get the brisket ordered

I will use your eMAIL RSVPs to put together a mailing list & send out directions.

The previous 5 BBQs produced some real culinary treats, so we'll do it that way again. For those who've joined since last summer, here's the threads for the previous 5 BBQs:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207174
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=157218
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=111063
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61179
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=bbq

Feel free to organize in-route meeting places & caravans..

Given the size of the event, & to keep the preparation load down to something I can pull off, I'm again asking for volunteers to bring some of the menu items (see MENU below).

DATE & TIME:
    Sunday, 19 JULY 1:30 PM til I decide it's bedtime, or the mosquitos start draging people down the hill. It'll be OK to arrive early, but you may get put to work setting up or watching something cook ;^)

BTW, I'll be timing the brisket to be done about 2:00.

RAIN DATE:
    TBD, I've got conflicts the next 2 weekends so will have to punt.

MENU
    -------

Drinks:
    I will have a 4 big coolers w/ice to cool down the drinks so I think we'll be all set.

- Iced Tea - Could someone bring a gallon or 2?

- Large sodas - Any volunteers to pick up 1 each: coke, diet coke & ginger ale in 2-liter bottles?

- Booze: You're welcome to BYOB, or make arrangements with someone for a quantity buy. Hint: I drink High-Life Lite ;^)

- Chips, Salsa, Dip(s), Crudetes, cheese chunks, other nibbles - Need volunteers.

-Brisket - Of course, I will provide & smoke. (Sorry, no ribs this time, the event has gotten too big for me to do both Brisket & Ribs. Unless someone wants to take complete charge of cooking & carving the ribs in which case I'll suppy the ribs.)

-Pinto Beans - I will make up a big pot.

-Cornbread - Anyone have a great recipe? How about some Jalapino corn bread this time?

-Potato Salad - Need ~2 pounds, any volunteer(s)?

-Cole Slaw - Need ~3 pints, any volunteers?
    (BTW, Col. Sanders makes a very good cole slaw, but if you have a secret recipe & want to make it...)

- Grilled Videlia onions - Need Peeled Halves for grilling, Need a volunteer to bring 8 or 10 onions. These need to be pre-peeled & arrive about 10:00 so they'll be done with the rest of the meal. JWise, you gonna bring your secret Georgia recipe ones again? hint, hint ;^)

-Fixings:
    . BBQ Sauce - Verell will supply a couple of bottles: 1 sweet & 1 tangy, If you have a favorite, bring it & we'll have a tasting.

. Sliced sweet Videlia onions for sandwiches, Sliced Jalapeno peppers, pickles, other condiments... Any volunteeer(s). These need to be there by 1:30!

. Sandwich bread - need a couple of loaves, Any volunteers?

. Dessert - Any volunteers?

. Any other food you might be inspired to bring & share.

GRILLs:
    Will have a will have a medium-sized grille if you want to do something like hot dawgs, or Veggie Burgers. Also, the big Weber grill will be available, you're welcome to throw something on it.

CHILDREN:
    Sure, the little ones are welcome.
    Caveat: There's a big yard & woods to explore, & we're safely away from the road. You'll be responsible for keeping an eye on them. Sorry, The the red lawn tractor & trailer that was such a big hit last time will be the only recreation eqpt.

P-cars & other lesser makes ;^)
    I suppose if it's a significant one like the superlight 911 that came to the 2nd BBQ, or the FORD GT that came to BBQ #3, we'll find a place up front. If it's the only thing you have to drive, we'll find a place for it, there's lots of room in the swamp around back...
    ;^)

TOWING:
    Please notify me in advance if you're planning to break down so I can have phone #s, etc. ready so you can call for towing... Don't just arrive broken down & surprise everyone like a certain Down Easterner did the first year...
    ;^)

2. TGF

TGF Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    North Central, MA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ah, looking forward to this.

Looking at the pics from last year, it looks like I took the MINI. Maybe I was afraid of the rain? I'll try to bring the 308 this time. :)

I'll try to remember to bring some beer, but not homebrew as I am way behind at the moment...

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Always a great time head by all. From the people to the food to the fun.... SWEET!

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Verell- let's talk off-line about the Ribs! I'd like to try your method, and can be there early to prepare them. BTW, I can also make-up two gallons of home-brewed Sweet and Un-Sweet (for all you Northerners) Iced Tea.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Mike,
    Sure, be happy to coach you on my Ribs recipe/method. Will dig thru my notes from prior years & let you know when you have to start to have them ready on time.

BTW, could use help with setup such as moving tables, the big Weber, etc. into place the day before. Also to help put them away at the end of the day.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    RIBS ARE BACK ON THE MENU!!
    M.James came over this afternoon & I coached him thru making a rack of ribs for supper. My wife & mother-in-law declared them a success!

Over dinner it came out that Mike's recently become seriously interested in smoking & BBQ so the ribs are right up his alley.

Based on a very successful first try, and his serioius interest in learning about BBQ, Mike will be the official rib chef & carver for this year's BBQ.

7. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Southern NH
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey Verell - I'm planning on coming! I'll bring along some soda (4 or 5 bottles of diet/regular).

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    looks like it will be a blast - i wish we could do something like this where i am from but not enough Ferraris!

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Verell, only one of those links works. I'll talk to you off-line about bringing something. See you there!

10. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    It looks like I can make it! Will organize offline what we will bring!

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Awww, DRAT, forgot to fixup the links to the previous events .
    Here they are:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25007
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61179
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111063
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157218
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207174

The response is starting to take off!! If you haven't received at least 1 BBQ eMAIL from me, Please send eMAIL with your official RSVP & # of people coming to:

[email protected]

So I can update the headcount & mail distribution list.

12. 55fanatic

55fanatic Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Peter Ladas
    I read about this every year... and I have to say... I love how this group has turned this into an annual event!!! Very Jealous

13. Mr Montana

Mr Montana Rookie

Dec 30, 2006
    Florida & Ma.
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hello,

This sounds like a fun time. I would like to stop by with my son. How do i get directions?

Thank you,

Anthony

14. CustomFerrari

CustomFerrari Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.

i might try and make this one

15. Manolis

Manolis Karting

Jun 16, 2009
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Manolis Christo
    Verell,
    Your event sound amazing. I will definately come to your bbq and am willing to take charge of the ribs!! Do you have a secret recipe? How many people are expected to come? By the way you are welcome to come to the Supercar Road Trip to Newport this Sunday. It looks very promising!

--Manolis

16. Manolis

Manolis Karting

Jun 16, 2009
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Manolis Christo
    Oh and I can also provide the cole slaw!

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #17 Verell, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    Please send end eMAIL with # of people coming to:

[email protected]

Directions will only be sent out via eMAIL. I will use your eMAIL RSVPs to put together a mailing list & eMAIL them out Thursday night. If you don't have them Friday AM, please eMAIL me & I'll send them again.

BTW, if you have a GARMIN or other GPS with current NavTeq maps, it should have "Unobtainium Supply Co." in Groton,MA under auto parts. If it does, you've got directions, just select it as your destination. ;)

I'll tally the eMAIL responses and post a headcount SWAG Sunday night, along with an updated list of who's bringing what.

Manolis,
    MJames has got the ribs covered, Came over last week for a crash course in BBQribs101, altho maybe he could use help carving & serving. Coleslaw would be great. If you don't already have a favorite recipe, Col. Sanders makes a great coleslaw to go.;)

18. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
  19. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Excellent!!! Verell's parties are the best Ferrari get togethers this side of track events. Lots of great people who are down to earth, very enjoyable food and LOTS of fun for all!

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #20 Verell, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Hello All,
    WEATHER:
    The weather looks like it's going to be GREAT, Best day of the weekend by far:
    Sunday
    Partly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs around 80.

HEADCOUNT: about 30!!!
    Just went thru all the eMAIL RSVPs, confirmed headcount is 22. However, I know of another 4 or 5 people who haven't responded & based on previous years there are always 3-4 last minuite shows so I'm planning on about 30 people.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO RSVP:
    Please send end eMAIL with # of people coming to:

[email protected]

Directions will only be sent out via eMAIL. I will use your eMAIL RSVPs to put together a mailing list & eMAIL them out TONIGHT or early tomorrow AM. If you don't have them by noon tomorrow(Friday) eMAIL me again & I'll resend them to you.

MENU Item suggestions up for grabs, or you can be creative:
    ------------------------------------------------

- Iced Tea - Could someone bring a gallon?

- Wine: Maybe a bottle each of a blush and/or Chardonnay - something the ladies will like.

- Beer: Could use a 2nd supplier.

- Chips, Salsa, Dip(s), Crudetes, cheese chunks, other nibbles

-Cornbread - Anyone have a great recipe? How about some Jalapino corn bread this time(I can supply a great recipe)?

- Sliced sweet Videlia onions for sandwiches, Sliced Jalapeno peppers, pickles, other condiments... These need to be here by 1:30!

- Sandwich bread - need a couple of loaves

- Dessert:

- Any other food you might be inspired to bring & share.

MENU ITEMS with owners:
    -----------------------

(I=Verell)

Mystery eats:;)
    BIRDMAN: "I'll talk to you off-line about bringing something."
    rsvmille676: "Will organize offline what we will bring!"

Drinks:
    I will have a 4 big coolers w/ice to cool down the drinks so I think we'll be all set.

- Large sodas - Mr. Nice Guy: 1 each: coke, diet coke & ginger ale in 2-liter bottles.

- Booze: beer - TGF

-Brisket - Of course, I will provide & smoke.

-Ribs: MJames: cooking & carving the ribs (I'll suppy the ribs).

-Sausages: Manolis

-Pinto Beans - I will make up a big pot.

-Potato/Macaroni Salad - BillH: About 2 lbs.

-Cole Slaw - Manolis: ~3 pints
    (BTW, Col. Sanders makes a very good cole slaw, but if you have a secret recipe & want to make it...)

-Fixings:
    . BBQ Sauce - Verell will supply a couple of bottles: 1 sweet & 1 tangy, If you have a favorite, bring it & we'll have a tasting.

21. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Put me down for the Iced Tea - I'll make a gallon of 'Sweet' and 'Unsweet', I'll only need the Ice to cool-down the pitchers.

22. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I'll bring some sandwhich bread and some chips and dip stuff.

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #23 Verell, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Great!!
    Pizzaman is bringing bottled water.
    KennyK is bringing some Coronas.

Birdman, what are U bringing?

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I badly need 3-4(or more) people to come by help move things from the house, shed, & car shelter to the front yard. I'll have cold coke & beer to keep you from getting too dehydrated.

Sunday AM might be best as a couple of things can't be done until Sunday AM. However, Saturday is fine if that's when people are available.

If you can help, please post here & agree on a time. Both days anytime after 9:00 AM works for me, altho the dew probably won't be off of the grass until more like 10:00.
    Verell

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    munchies and hi lifes - richard bean