575 Oil change | FerrariChat

575 Oil change

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Clyde Romero, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Well it’s done
    I have pictures to share if someone wants them or can tell me how to download them to this forum
    Main issues in doing this is removing the engine lower cover
    It’s a pain and in fact I haven’t put mine back on yet since I highly advise that after you complete the job
    Get the car up to temps and check the oil level and check for leaks before you re install the engine condom as I call it, so far no leaks!
    You will need a 17 mm and a 22 mm combo wrench for tools and of course you will need a 10 mm socket to remove the bolts that hold the thing in place
    You will also need a Phillips screw driver to remove the lip screws
    Pretty straight forward after that, it’s a no brainer, you can hand tighten the oil filters, that’s what I did no torquing here!
    I always write the mileage and date on my filters
    Tomorrow I will install the cover and try to come up with a procedure for a one person installation
    It’s going to be fun
    Like night air fueling !
    I used 0-40 weight oil, I wasn’t happy with this selection, I’ve used 20-50 for years in my 512 because it puts out Chernobyl heat, and the 575 does as well, but I went by the book.
    And I will be up north with the car, so it will see some sub zero overnight starts
    In 10 days a round trip to Charleston and back then leave in November for New Jersey New Hampshire back thru Pennsylvania then back home
    Bought it to drive it
    Stay tuned

absostone likes this.
  2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    you started a double thread, im sure the mods will combine

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Clyde- I would not tell other owners you can hand tighten the oil filters. Ferrari and maintenance professionals say not to do that.

4. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Taz
    Roger that

5. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Oil change is complete no leaks
    Once again I hand tighten my oil filters for years and never had any issues
    If you have fears use the tech order torque
    Too each there own when it comes to this I say
    Re installed the engine under tray
    Would highly advise that you replace the lip screws with stainless steel ones as these screws will eventually rust out and become difficult to remove, that’s what I did
    Putting on the under tray requires that you have to raise the center portion first and hold it in place
    Install those bolts first then re install the cooling duct to the alternator
    It’s easier if you have someone to help you but it’s a one man job if you take your time
    I used 3 small jack stands to hold the tray in place while I re installed the screws
    I have a picture if anyone wants it
    Make sure you use the large washers in back 3 positions, if your car has the small ones get the correct size since it will eventually tear through the cover
    You can get them at any NAPA store along with the stainless steel screws
    You will find the front 3 10mm bolts on both sides of the front wheels the most difficult to re install so take your time
    I replaced all 6 with longer bolts which make the installation easier
    While your under the car with the pan off you can check for other leaks
    That’s boys and girls
    It’s a non event as they say

6. DariusSadeghi

DariusSadeghi Rookie

Aug 13, 2005
    Carmel, CA.
    Terry:
    Normally, I have my mechanic change the oil on my 575 but I'd like to give it a try. It looks fairly straightforward. After the old oil drain and both plugs and new filters are on, how long does it take for the sump to absorb the 10.5litres? Is it better to pour from one litre containers vs. a 5 gallon? Thanks.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It does not take that long, but you want to start out with 9 liters or so first, warm her up, and then add oil slowly until she is about halfway or less between the min and max marks. All of them do not hold exactly the same amount of oil, so you want to sneak up on the final filling. Overfilling can cause all kinds of problems. My 575M normally takes about 12 quarts, which is ~11.36 liters, but most do not hold that much. Also depends on how long you let her drain. My techs use 1 quart containers of the Valvoline 5W-40 we use in her.

Make sure you use a torque wrench on the filter when installing.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  8. DariusSadeghi

DariusSadeghi Rookie

Aug 13, 2005
    Carmel, CA.
    Good advice Terry! Thanks. Particularly because of the individuality of each car and drain time allowed.

9. DariusSadeghi

DariusSadeghi Rookie

Aug 13, 2005
    Carmel, CA.

Thanks again Terry. It took 12.5qts incl the filters.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Sounds about the same as mine.

11. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    i am trying to find out if i can change the oil and filters myself... the reason for the doubt, is that i dont have a lift

removing the shield i imagine , would be a problem,, anyone have a confirmation?

12. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    I raise the front end and lower the front wheels on blocks. This gives enough clearance for removing the undertray, the oil sump plug, the filters and the plug at the rear of the engine sump. With the front end raised more of the old oil may be drained from the engine sump through the nearly horizontal rear plug. Without disconnecting any of the oil lines to drain them my 550 took a shade below 12L of fresh oil, for what it's worth. I imagine a 575 will take the same.

13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I suppose there is no way to use a vacuum pump to remove most of the oil? Never done my own change, so forgive the question if it doesn't make sense on a dry sump such as these have.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nope.

12 liters = 12.68 quarts