512TR tie rod ends | FerrariChat

512TR tie rod ends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have some play in the steering now and I'm guessing it's the rack or the tie rod ends (67,000 miles, 1994 512TR). I have an extra rack if that's the problem, but before I get under the car, does anyone have a source for tie rod ends?

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Update:
    I just checked the replacement steering rack I bought 16 years ago. IIRC, it came out of a 4000 mile 512TR that was being converted to RH drive for shipment to England. It is complete out to the tie rod ends. Bonus. Both tie rod end boots are torn, however. I can probably get a replacement locally at any auto parts store unless someone has a better idea.

3. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Is there any chance you could pull your inner tie rod end off and measure for me? I understand if not, but I have one that has some slack and I think I found a replacement. Our tie rods shouldn't be hard to source, they are just metric ends. So strange why I can't find a single source for a part number on these.

As for boots, the passenger side is strange looking but you probably can find something online for it.

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino

Attached Files:

EZORED and raysur like this.
  5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    So, from reading back threads on steering racks, it seems a good idea to replace the rubber bushings that hold the entire rack to the frame. Does anyone know of a better aftermarket bushing (?Eurospares, Hill Engineering) than the Ferrari part?