512TR power problem .... | FerrariChat

512TR power problem ....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Melvok, Jul 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    My F friends are not capable to find it ...

On the volt meters it shows that suddenly, for just a second, and every now and then, the 1-6 ECU stops. So also the right petrol pump, also the pc link stops.

Everything was exhanged, it stays on that one bank. Cat sensors exchanged, cat thermocouples exchanged ... no change ...

Even the complete loom 1-6 bank was exchanged for a brand new one from Ferrari ....

Only things not checked yet is the plus on the ECU and the fusebox of the 512TR.

It seems that the right ECU gets is power from the accessory switch on the starterswitch; can that be correct at all ?

HELP please ...

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Did you check the relays for the injectors and the fuel pump for 1-6?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1

Mel -- Try swapping relay Q (runs the 1-6 Motronic ECU and the 1-6 fuel pump relay R) and relay U (runs the 7-12 Motronic ECU and the 7-12 fuel pump relay T):

If the problem moves to the 7-12 bank = bad relay

If the problem stays on the 1-6 side = most likely a problem with something running relay Q

Unfortunately, the schematics in the online 512 TR WSM are badly scanned and missing portions -- do you have access to good scans of Figs 1, 2, and 3 that you can email to me, or post somewhere that can be accessed by others (if the problem stays on the 1-6 side)?

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Thanks for your input Steve I wasn't near my car or the owners manual for a more informative answer. As always you are thorough :)

5. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Did you check the power input terminal that sends power into the ECU?

I do not know which pin it is on the 55 pin connector at the ecu.

Oddly, I seem to have started a fire storm in the 355 section asking about these connectors.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #6 Melvok, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    Thanx Friends, which page(s) do you need as digital scan Steve ? send me a mail, I have 9 digi files ready for you; ..> [email protected]

7. azmurciev12

azmurciev12 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    perhaps the 1-6 ECU is damaged already? is it possible to switch ECUs to at least check?

when i got my car, it was running only on 6 cylinders. the tech said the ECU was busted. i bought a new ECU and everything is back to normal. i was really surprised but he's seen it happen before and it happened to me and now it might be you.

good luck. the ecu was quite a lot of money.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exhanged them both: no better result ... happy the Ecu's are O.K. .. priced at $ 2000 each :)

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    Why is it never the easy fix ;)

Do you want any more help/suggestions -- or is your F Shop handling it?

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx all ... must wait for feedback of my Fshop...

11. Dan C

Dan C Rookie

Aug 20, 2011
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dan Crowley
    To F512TR friends, I have a 1992 512 that has an intermittent power surge problem. After running for a few minutes, it feels like it suddenly loses half the power (perhaps one side) and bogs down when I press the gas, i.e. No more throttle when the gas is fully pressed. Then the fault will clear instantly when I am driving and I get full power back and it will rev normally. When the fault persists, the idle will drop and the car stalls at traffic lights. I had an engine out service and they changed the fuse panel thinking it was an electrical problem, but the fault returned. The car will be running fine, then lose half its power, sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for the rest of the trip. Separately, I have a white smoke at start-up issue from the left exhaust outlet that persists for five 5-10 mins of driving. I read the posts on smoking at start-up. Not sure there is any connection. Any help is appreciated. Dan C.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, not related to the lastest post, but just in case anyone asks the same question.... Battery power should be present on pin 18 of the ECU. I pieced together most of the missing wires.

Fuse 16 (ECU 1~6) provides battery power to pin E2 of the relay panel and then to pin 5 on the rear connector on a blue wire with red stripe. ...

512TR Fig3_Bosch 2.7 Ignition & Starter

.... then to pin 18 on the ECU.

512TR Ignition/Injection Motronic 2.7 (1~6)

Regarding the last post, Dan, are you getting a Check Engine Light? If you could identify the faulty side, this will help with diagnosis. Do you have an infra-red gun to compare exhaust manifold temperatures? Once you have figured out the side, you can swap components to see if the problem transfers.

Assuming the white smoke has nothing to do with the problem, might a Throttle Position Sensor cause this problem? Looking at the workshop manual, the MAF is normally used for fuel scheduling, but the TPS is used in certain situation. Normally only 3 TPS positions are recognised. Idling (less than 17 degrees), intermediate and fully open and the fuel schedule is modified accordingly.