512M engine in a Testarossa | Page 9 | FerrariChat

512M engine in a Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Nov 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Different style starter but same position. Its a nice starter upgrade for a boxer. A TR/M starter and it bolts right on.

2. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    But that quote includes a "complete engine ass", so maybe it's higher! (I once had my Austin Healey 3000 drivetrain redone by a "complete engine ass" but I don't think this is the same guy.)

You know, I've wondered about the dollars in this project too, and I think to some degree we're all curious... even if only a little. If I were the customer, I probably wouldn't want it said, so that's a tough call for the technician.

Anyway, the great news is that others see these cars as anything but throwaway, as TRs, Boxers, continue to get bigger and bigger bucks spent to resurrect, restore, and in this case significantly 'improve', with cost as a secondary consideration.

3. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    That crate motor price is accurate. Then add shipping, the Ontario HST (12%) and you're close. The overall cost is harder to determine since we replaced the diff and side cover and went with the Fuchs exhaust. There is fab work, the Haltech units and lots more. Not a cheap project, but how many times do you live.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #204 Newman, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    More road testing and table adjustments. Passenger seat is back in.

The rear lid bubble mount brackets contact the air boxes. Im going to remove the main brace and cut the short section out on both sides below the louvers, swap them from side to side so the mount tabs are 180ed then sub in a section to re-join the brace so its one again. This way the brace is ahead of the air box but still behind the plenums. I have another option because the bubble is supported at the third light. I could fabricate some small brackets that eliminate the brace under the louvers completely. We'll see tomorrow what I end up doing because I'm not even sure myself!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #205 Melvok, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    If you are willing to pay $ 30-35K for one engine only ... And will have to take care of all these other mechanical parts + labour ... (don't think too easy about all these costs)

Why not buy a 512TR or even an M David .... (example: Ferrari 512M Fuchs Sportauspuff als Sportwagen/Coupé in Braunschweig )

I mean (don't get me wrong) you can only do this same perfect job if you have all the (extra) time in the world, a garage + tools and the skills to do it yourself ...

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    This guy shouldve just bought a helicopter.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/156988-testarossa-turbine-project-happening-now.html

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #207 Newman, May 10, 2013
    Dealt with the air box / deck lid clearance problem today among other finishing touches.

The brake booster source on the front of both plenums with integral check valves was interfering with the front filler panel under the back window. I modified a pair of 3/8"id elbows from a plumbing supply store and used the single in-line 90 testarossa check valve so I have just enough clearance.

Love the look with the rear lid on and open in the center, looks like a picture frame showing off the engine, pretty cool look. Air boxes touch the lid and the lid isn't fully closed. So, I made a few changes so the air boxes would rotate down on the inlet side and I got what I need to clear the lid with it shut tight.

Next I need to modify the inner lid brace that holds the engine bay lights and third light.

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

9. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Hell yeah ....!!!

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    We can enjoy the real craftsmanship to the MAX here :)

The engine is mounted in rubbers ... do you forsee no problems with the engine if it rev's Steve ?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I want to take my 2 valve boxer engine and throw it in the garbage.

This M engine is awesome! This car pulls and pulls from just over 3000rpm and keeps going. Get on it at 5K and it just goes like its possessed. It has more power everywhere but the higher you spin it the more it wants to go. Very happy with the result.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No I don't and my name is Paul! :)

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then please tell me where your garbage will lay around to pick it up. I will take this for free :) :) :)

14. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Paul, now you need to put one of these 4 valve beauties in your Boxer :)

And while you're at it, put ITB's on it :) :)

15. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    HA! I'd like to use it for a table, Steve!

16. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    "Love the look with the rear lid on and open in the center, looks like a picture frame showing off the engine, pretty cool look"

I think driving it around like that to a show or cruise would be great. Reminds me of finishing old hot rod projects and test drives with out the hood : )

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And thats exactly what I've been doing! I did most of my test driving with no rear lid at all and it looks great seeing the air boxes and everything, today was with a lid and no bubble. Tomorrow it should have a bubble in place.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I changed my mind ill keep it for a coffee table lol

That would be awesome. Already thought of that and it could have stacks that poke up through the removable covers on the clamshell. That would be very cool and can-am like.

19. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Since these engine seems to go here and there :D. Is it possible to swap Testarossa engine to BB? It is tempting idea four valve carburated V12 in same sense as 3.2 engine with webers...

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

same idea I already had and a very good idea :) :) :)
    could work, but for this it needs first an engine. and newman wants to take his as coffee-table

I still have one here but only to test if this could go or not it is too much work and time. but it would be interesting if it could work???
    I think: YES, but the problem would be the intake manifolds of the carbs to fix them to the TR engine.

but before I would try this very special conversion first have to do a lot of more things on my double turbo :(

so many ideas and so less time :( :( :(

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Yes you can fit the engine but you need the testarossa gearbox. Rather than cut and weld an original boxer gearbox to get the correct oil passages for the testarossa (or TR or M) engine just get the correct box and set the original stuff off to the side (if you chose to not throw your BB engine in the garbage like me :)). You would need custom intake manifolds to mount carbs. I would just get ITB's instead, much better than carbs anyway. It would be a fun and interesting challenge for sure.

I cant get over the pull over 3K rpm, its amazing and it sounds fantastic. I know the 2V BB engine cant match this and provide the drivability the M (or TR) engine provides, its just not possible. The BB would be harder to live with but fun in a different way. Im really tempted to convert my injected car.

22. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hey Paul,
    Still keeping up. Looks like things are moving along.
    John

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #223 Newman, May 16, 2013
  24. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Great work on the deck lid. For once the USA spec high level brake light looks the goods. Actually breaks up the extra height you had to put in. Excellent effort.

25. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Paul,
    I'm very impressed, it really does look stock! Of course I didn't expect anything less. I really need to get back on my 358 build after seeing this. :) Then doing the diff carrier and then, etc. Although I just retired and I'm in the process of selling off most of the machine tools I have. So, soon I'll have some free time.
    John