512 BBi Resto | Page 10 | FerrariChat

512 BBi Resto

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by markpeboxer, Feb 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Since I just lost my Boxer, I should get first shot at Mark's, I will give $79K, no make that $80K, plus $10,000 to charity.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ron they are dealing Boxers in another thread, Newman just dropped the cover of a carbed one...

RobertinArgyle also has his carbed car last I heard.....

You want a BBi??

Franklin Parker is always threatening to turn his loose, for a 365GTC......you could sue the guy that hit you with the same phone call!

Welcome back, Lucky Dog!

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey ! No clock tag ! Minus one point. ;)

Your project is an inspiration.
    I have a burnt BB and a complete set of BBLM body panels .
    My aim is to do a "Modern" BBLM complete with 512TR modified drivetrain. With racing brakes, radiator, pedal set, Etc.
    I spoke to an owner of an original BBLM about the project as he looked down his nose at me and said this was sacrilage.
    There are 2000+ Boxers and most are intent on "preserving" history. Fine, let them do it.
    You are making it.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    got some BBLm headers you feel like selling for a good cause? Or, do you have a line on some?

P.

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There is a race team that maintains BBLMs which you may find at the Ferrari vintage racing events. Forgot their name, perhaps a web search.
    Did you get the Forza carbed car ?

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks for the lead, I have an injected boxer. I didnt buy another although you can never have too many boxers. After I have 1 of each version all at the same time my life will be complete and I can die anyday after that.

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Well lets do it the proper Ferrari way. I will sell you my slot on Marks car-since I was first in line- for $50k, of which I will donate $75 and keep the rest for ME!

Welcome back Ron, glad to see you back on board and how about our boy Massa!

8. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    David, sounds like a great project and you are recylcling rather than destroying anything anyway. HOpe you do it. Sounds like an awesome ride, albeit an expensive one.

Mark, is your car out on the road yet? If so any driving/handling reports? More pics?

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    thank you. i will consider your offer.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You can always get the carbed one way up here, its very nice. Chassis number 22679 which puts it at a 78 I believe. Red on black no boxer trim, all tools, books etc....

P

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thank you for the insight.

In Rons thread a few posts down, there were many that thought Rons car was trash...and that i was on crack....very interesting that you are rebuilding a burnt BB.

Hope your project goes well, please feel free to post your progression, hope it goes as planned for you.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163496

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You are on crack :)

13. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The problem with a burnt Boxer: aluminum does not like extreme heat.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Neither does steel. I imagine the engine in your car didnt fair so well, the gearbox is a different story though.

15. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Concorso and the whole Pebble weekend was a blast.

The car came straight from the shop to the golf course, and driving it up the fairway on Thursday afternoon the day before the event was the first time I had actually been behind the wheel since Sept of 05. (Steve one of the builders had test driven it, I was a passenger - so that was the first time). Somehow it seemed kind of fitting. A lot of emotions and strange feelings. Such a different experience then buying a car and driving it, and who would have thought off roading would be it's maiden voyage.

As I rolled up to where they assigned me a space, one of the coordinators sarcastically said, "Nice that you found the time to wax it". He was right; it was kind of a wreck. I know Steve and Vic at the shop burned the midnight oil before the truck came for it and probably didn't get around to a full detail. The greatest guy in a beautiful 400 who was parked near me opened his trunk and seemed to have the better part of the entire Griot's Garage Catalog in there. He graciously offered up the whole works, and I had the best couple of hours polishing everything as the sun was setting, a cool breeze was coming in - all on the fairway of a beautiful golf course. I'm one of those guys that thinks polishing a car is therapeutic.

Friday morning the day of the event, I was running late. Traffic was not good and by the time I finally got there, the car was surrounded. My neighbor in the 400 said a TV crew had come by looking for the owner so I guess I missed my big opportunity. When I lifted up the bonnets, even more people came by, which seemed to be the case for most of the day.

I wasn't sure at the time when I registered for Concorso (quite some time ago - as I wanted it to be a goal to have it completed by then) if I would have it judged or not, so I signed up for it. I kind of forgot all about it until I watched the judges look over a beautiful carbed BB now sitting next to mine, I looked for my keys as I thought about what to do and realized - yep I had left them back at my hotel. I told my astonished partner and girlfriend Shar that I was going to bail and go get them and that I'd be back as soon as I could. With the traffic - almost 2 hours. She called me many, many times on my cell as she tried to answer numerous questions and tried to deal with 4 anxious and confused judges. She said they wanted to know I whated them to do? She said they were very confused by the car and they kept going back and forth between the 2 Boxers looking at various parts but absolutely had no idea what to make of mine. I asked her to hold them off until I returned which she did. They were very nice and said they thought the car was amazing but obviously they couldn't judge it as it would score very low. I agreed. They did come back several times however both as a group and as individuals to look at various things on it, and to continue to apoligise for the situation.

Shar in the meantime made a lot of new friends. As I'm a little shy she gets out there and talks to anybody and everybody. One guy told her he had brought 5 different people back to see it as he'd never seen anything like it. Another guy and his father said they had a rather large collection and would love this in there’s as it's so much fun to look at and draws so much attention. I realized that to the non-Ferrarista (most people) it shows pretty cool. Kind of like a hot rod / Ferrari creation. The engine and engine bay are like a jewel box full of interesting and colorful things.

So many great people and so many great cars. At one point they pulled up a new 599 and parked it next to mine. Amazing car.
    Where is everybody getting all the dough??? I think there was enough net worth on that golf course to easily compete with any third world nation. Geno had his fabulous orange Lambo spyder there with his even more fabulous wife. As I was talking to the two, Jay Leno came by and I snapped a picture for Geno of the three of them, Surreal.

After the show, Shar and I drove down the coast on Hwy 1 for quite awhile and I finally got to really drive it. OMG. It was everything I had hoped for and more - and again what a great place to finally drive it - along the coast of Northern Ca on a perfect day (no fog and really warm). The AC works so well I had to turn it down, and the interior of the car never even got remotely hot or warm even - anywhere. All the thought and time we put into insulating was worth it IMO.

We drove it around Carmel throughout the weekend and it was really a pleasure to drive. It attracted attention and a conversation or two wherever we went. Every time we parked it there would be people around it when we returned. No small feat when everywhere you turn there’s at least a 360.

When it finally went back into the truck late Sunday, I was actually sad to see it go. I'm still out in Ca. and it’s headed straight back to the shop. Yes I'm putting the other steering wheel back on (even though this one is so comfortable), and the new wheels should be ready.
    We need to dial in the suspension a little, and adjust the brakes.

All in all - amazing weekend with amazing people.

I'll post some shots of the new wheels when I return to Chicago.

I'm thinking very seriously about all the generous offers - and I probably officially qualify as my own favorite charity these days - especially after that weekend!!

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude,

Great post...you did a fine job on the car......LOL! about the keys. I just leave mine in it, they'd bring it back at the first tune up Bill!

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    With the Griot's Speed Shine and some tire dressing, you are ready for anything! LOL!

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    One day I would love to attend a show like that, im sure it was great and even better when you have such a great and unique car to bring. Congrats Mark.

P.

19. DinoScuderia

DinoScuderia Karting

Apr 15, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Thank you for sharing. I have really enjoyed your amazing project and reading your great posts.

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Mark, we ALL suffered through this with you, so a ride for all of us only seems fair. What a great story. Oh, lordy, you look back and wonder did you even need the keys for the silly judges - I think they just needed you to keep their heads from exploding. I'm thinking a $2.99 magnetic key holder is your next big purchase, if you can find one that'll stick to carbon fiber.

Continue to enjoy that car, and don't forget that we crave the sequel. Whatever that is, even if just this car's 'afterlife' on the street, in the garage, all that.

21. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I'm just waiting for the FI conversion. :)

22. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Had to bring this thread back to the top from page 20 or so. Mark - I'm sure others will agree that your Boxer is such a work of art that we never tire of looking at it! :)

23. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    +1
    Steve

24. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :) Where are the pics of the new wheels on the car?

25. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Jeffrey, thanks for raising it back up

Funny reading this thread and hoping the car is in SF and not Chicago so I can talk to Mark and see the car with a more careful eye. Especially considering that my new car is not being taken apart at Brian Cralls shop and though I do not have a budget like Mark has alotted for his magnificent resto, I am hoping to follow the essence of the rebuilt and impart some real quality and thoughful upgrades to my already bastardized tt car.
    Mark, loved seeing the completed car and remember trying to get a picture at Concorso and finally giving up as the crowd was too deep! Beautiful job, as many have mentioned, and just stunning attention to detail. Your builders should be quite proud (and equally busy!!). Sent you a PM.