512 BBi Resto | FerrariChat

512 BBi Resto

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by markpeboxer, Feb 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Wow your doing an AMAZING job.

2. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    Am I crazy or you are using CF?

3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Do something with the side view mirrors.The factory ones look cheap,maybe you can get 288 GTO mirrors.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Did you perform a complete resto right down to the bare chassis, glass out, wiring harness out, etc? More pics would be wondeful!

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I have actually thought about the mirrors from a 3rd gen RX7 or BMW Z8 as more fitting to the overall lines and contours of the Boxer. Just an idea, however blasphemous.

Speaking of blasphemy. . . . . markpeboxer, I noticed (from other pics) that you had something other than the factory seats, and was curious if they gave you any more headroom. At all of 5'10", I have about a finger's thickness between my scalp and the headliner, and I don't want to contribute to my own potential balding in the future. Do your seats drop the seat bottom any further than the stockers? Any other issues?

Yeah, I know...I post wa-a-a-a-a-ay too often, post-whore that I am.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

sick! i'm jealous!

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Your posts are really getting to me. Both of me in fact.

I have the "angel" voice generally saying, "Keep it original, authentic, and pure." Yet occasionally her lips get lips duct-taped shut by the "other" figure who says, "Mod it how you want it. How many lives you going to live anyway?"

Your posts really enthuse voice #2, and are so tasteful that voice #1 is kind of dumbfounded. Thank goodness.

Keep it up. Just fabulous to see you spend the time, money, and attention to detail on this deserving car. I hope to see it "for real" when completed.

8. copyboy

copyboy Karting

Aug 31, 2004
    columbus, ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike T
    I am a "keep it original" person, but that carbon fiber is making me moist...keep up the pictures.

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Please, talk about that radiator.

10. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I;ll try to find some time to organize more pictures and post more.
    Yes we went down to the frame, all glass out. Quite the ordeal getting the winshield in but it's perfect now. I am so happy with the installation.

I understand about the devil / angel thing believe me. I started out doing fairly heavy handed mods then I ran into this site. I've learned so much about Boxers - from you guys - that I had to start over. In fact for everything we've now moded, the stock part has been redone and saved as well. This car can be brought back to original if desired.

Interior

The seats are Cobra Milano's. I looked at many aftermarket seats and chose these for their quality, style and fit. They also are actually lower to the floor than originals, which is hard to do as the stock seats are very low. To make them even lowe, I had the tracks taken out and they're custom ounted permanetly to fit me. Probably not ideal but it should stop people from wanting to drive it.

I have posted earlier shots of the interior, but have since stripped the cabin taken it down to the metal. I didn't like the type of leather my shop used 2 years ago when the redid it, so I thought I'd start over. I am buying hides from Reoriginal and bringing it close to stock. The Cobras are being recovered as well. I am also doing the stock seats. In fact for everything we've moded, the stock part has been redone and saved as well.

Radiator and cooling

As I mentioned before, I'm on a mission to get this car to run cooler. We insulated the aluminum pipes that run through the cabin. I tried everything. Spent a lot of time researching the latest tech in insulated pipes. In the end they were to restrictive, very pricey and in the end simple muffler tape worked wonders. We carefully wrapped each pipe and then tested running boiling water through them and it was amazing the difference. Barely warm over the tape, couldn't even touch the pipe where there was no tape.
    We also insulated most of the entire cabin for heat and noise, and both sides of the firewall. We used 4 different types of materials paying attention to weight and effectiveness.

WE bought a new compressor, evaporater, dryer and condensor - all new stock parts. UNBELIEVABLY EXPENSIVE - YIKES!! Evidently Ferrari issued an upgrade to the evaporator but it looked pretty much the same to us. The AC better be better after all that.

The radiator is an interesting story. I have the original still and if someone sameday wants to switch back it'll be recored and perfect. The system is fairly ineffective however. It's sealed poorly and the fans are kind of a joke for what this car really needs. This is a custom made racing radiator - again from a lead on this site, and it is truley a piece of art. It's where Jesse James, Chip Foose and Boyd have their radiators made. We've tested the system and it's amazing. Runs much cooler than stock. I've seen arguments posted before that aluminum doesn't run as cool as brass. I'd be happy to compare this summer.

I'll save discussion on the other mods until I can post more pix.

11. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Mark,
    I am going through the whole process myself and need some direction if you could about removing the windshield and the door quarter glass. The windshield moulding - can it be removed without the glass as well?

Thanks,
    Dave

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If you have a parts manual it will go a long way to helping you take your car apart. The windshield frame has clips mounted to it that receive the trim but the sealant for the windshield will hide them and hold the trim in place as well. You have to remove the trim first, then cut the windshield out with piano wire. Ive taken many windshileds out with no fatalities but you have to be very careful and patient.

13. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    I have all the manuals. Thanks for your input.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

wow!!! if the quality of the paint is great, this will be the nicest road going boxer on the planet. it is sooooooo over the top it is amking me want to go out and b i t c h slap my boxer!!!

15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    ....So cruel.

I'm really trying NOT to start down this path.....and you're just NOT helping!!!!
    I know, jealousy is bad. I'll deal with it. At least I'll try - I'll just live vicariously.....

Really, outstanding work. Looks like you're even moving the brake pedal over like I've been wanting to do.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lookin' good!

You are gonna weld up that cut pedal strap... or bend an offset one of new material??????

Don't you love how these dashes look like someone put wire into a blender and turned it on???? :D :D :D

17. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #21 markpeboxer, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree with the mod, Size 12 here.....

I was just thinking you could bend it pretty simply.....of new stock...the hardness of the OEM material is legendary, I don't know the spec.....

You need cobalt bits to drill it!

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  20. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Wow. I mean...wow. Pete's right: This will be one of finest Boxers on Earth.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Excellent job, makes me want to tear into mine too! I noticed the unique combo of an 83 steering wheel and an 84 horn button (not picking! Just noticing :)). Its a long road but very rewarding once you finish. I hope to see it at a meet one of these days when I venture across the border and meet some of you boxer owners.

P.