488 GTB battery conditioner | FerrariChat

488 GTB battery conditioner

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tomv36, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomv36

tomv36 Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gaetano Vaccaro
    Can the power socket in my 488 GTB be used to connect a battery tender for winter storage? I put the car in a bag and the weight of the bag moves the magnetic plug out of position. I have a Porsche techquipment tender from a previous car with the right plug for the power socket that I'm thinking about using.

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    No direct experience with the 488, but any socket that has a direct connection to the battery should be usable for a battery charger/tender. Hooking the charger/tender to this socket should be equivalent to hooking the unit directly to the battery terminals. In fact, it might be a bit better because the socket is most likely fused. You need to check that the socket is "live" when the ignition switch is off.

3. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you are talking about the cigarette lighter on the 488 GTB, that doesn't get power as I understand after the car gets shut off. So unfortunately the only way to get a battery maintainer connected to the battery is the factory one on the rear bumper or connect a pig tail from the battery out into the passenger footwell. But you would have to get a different charger with the correct connector.