458 Engine Ticking Sound.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Engine Ticking Sound....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Terrible expert, Apr 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PANOWES360

PANOWES360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Full Name:
    BOBBY
    If your hearing it while sitting inside the car behind the drivers seat it most likely is the Purge valve is going bad (there are 2) they also have a sound deadening material over the little plastic valve that sometimes, over time erodes and makes the "tick" much more noticeable. It will come and go as it, the valve, turns on and off. You can access them to investigate by removing the left side engine bay cover and looking above the fuel pumps towards the front of the motor.

Need4Spd likes this.
  2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Amrit Singh

Amrit Singh Rookie

Mar 17, 2016
    Full Name:
    Amrit
    Change these 2 parts this will stop the tick noise. I had the same noise on mine. It was a close sound to tappet or fuel injector valve. So I did some research and change these and the noise stopped.

part number 254425

4. romanteni

romanteni Rookie

Jan 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman Tenyakov
    Hey, I know old thread, but I got this issue couple days ago, and I have a drive coming up (200 miles) in couple days, is it ok to drive like this or this is urgent and must not drive until they're replaced? The ticking isn't bad and comes/goes. Thanks

5. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    yup, you'll be fine. not even all ferraris have them. it's an added part to comply with emission laws. i'd still replace them after your trip though. safe travels!

6. romanteni

romanteni Rookie

Jan 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman Tenyakov
    I appreciate the response. I read just from googling that when they go bad, they can cause stalling issues or rough idling? On cold starts i get the rmp "jumping" a bit unevenly for about 10 seconds before it "settles" where its supposed to be after a minute or so. Could that be from the purge valves? I actually disconnected them, ran car for about 5 minutes, connected back, cleared the code- and now I don't have the codes popping up YET, so we'll see.

7. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    i personally never had those symptoms with ticking purge valves - not even a code. for me, the car ran fine. it was just annoying to listen to. let us know what you find, please.

8. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    THANK GOD for this thread. I have been dealing with this clicking on my 2013 458 Spider for last two years. Drives me nuts! Making appointment to get the two 254425 VALVE WASH parts replaced.

9. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    Yup, I have the same issue too... 2015 458 Spider. Happened after the car sat for a while, then when I took it out and ripped the living snot out of the car, the noise started.

10. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    This is the noise being made. Normal after time, but annoying. I replaced both of these and sound went away. Two parts were $168.

11. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    When I had my 458 it also had ticking noise from the engine bay. It was not related to the engine speed, however. Drove the cars for 3 years and about 10 000km without any issues before selling it...

12. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Does anyone know personally how hard it was to get to these on a Spider? Thank you!

13. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    It's not too hard. You need to actuate your hard top about half way until you see the access panel. Remove the access panel, and the emission valves should be right there on the driver side. You can't miss them.

14. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    I never replaced mine. The sound eventually went away. I have them just in case.

dom1172 likes this.
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I just did it. Operate the top but pause it at the mid point when the cover is fully
    Upright but the folding top hasn't moved.

After about 3 minutes you will hear some clicking letting you know that the cycle has timed out. I put some foam to brace the cover but it's probably not necessary

you should now remove the key.

there are a bunch of plastic fasteners for the carpet. Then there are a bunch of metal
    Fasteners for the engine cover. Take a picture for reference when reassembling . Esp the fastened cords. Also how the grommets fit
    And how to replace the weatherstrip

you will need to unfasten the black rectangular box which overlies the 2 wash valves. The metal collars are single use so you will want to have new ones. Slide off the wash valves from the metal stand. Undo the electrical connector and the front and rear tubing .connections

it took me a few hours since I don't have a shop manual and so slowly figured it out

Melvok and dom1172 like this.
  16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    So due to shipping delays and some miscommunication I ended up with a extra set of wash valves

if anyone is interested, they are brand new in the Ferrari OEM parts sealed boxes and at a fair price of 40 per valve including shipping within the USA

17. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    This is great detail, thank you!

18. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Sent you a PM regarding this

19. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Follow up - this resolved my ticking issue! Overall, pretty easy. Hardest part was that I felt compelled to detail the engine bay while I was in there

Melvok and MalibuGuy like this.
  20. cooler2442

cooler2442 Rookie

Nov 4, 2021
    I installed these and got rid of the ticking noise a few months ago. Now after a few hours of driving and I assume only when the car is fully warmed up I get a weird noise. When I take my foot off the gas and decelerate it’s kind of a very loud woosh sound almost like a blow off valve from a turbo car. Do we think I didn’t clamp down one of the hoses correctly when doing this on my own?

21. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    Did you replace the clamps with the OE German Oetiker clamps, or did you put the screw types in? If you used the screw types, you may want to replace them with the crimp types (a lot of folks may not believe this but they are a lot better). There is a significant amount of pressure that builds up in the tank that is released with these valves that use a pulsed signal to operate. If you have a leak, it could act like a woopie cushion and that may be the sound that you are getting.

22. cooler2442

cooler2442 Rookie

Nov 4, 2021
    I used the screw types. Do you have a link to the crimp ones you'd recommend?

23. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    #73 Fred Daniali, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    They have a metric size on the side of them (look at a few of the other ones around the engine that use the same size hose), but here is an assortment:
    https://www.amazon.com/----Hydencamm/dp/B09MQ9FX32/ref=asc_df_B09MQ9FX32/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563647072543&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10495966053865518625&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031211&hvtargid=pla-1643039375486&psc=1&mcid=0795b887d169367c9de959c16ccaf9d3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwYSwBhDcARIsAOyL0fjORIbnGuh0C-_XiCepipxfrLCfGUOXS1DSwAjFl15Sbq4XV4aMOxwaAjxLEALw_wcB
    These Amazon ones are knockoffs so I don't know how good they are. If you want the OE Oetiker ones, you could either get them from Scuderia Parts/Ricambi or Grainger. Home Depot even sells a few of them with the PEX kits, but I think that those are for 1/2 inch or 3/4 PVC piping.

cooler2442 likes this.
  24. mikey64

mikey64 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    mikey
    Good stuff here. I think I might have this issue as well. I just thought it was loud injectors.

25. cooler2442

cooler2442 Rookie

Nov 4, 2021
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Interesting part is its not an easy sound to replicate. I took the 458 out for a 20minute drive on Sunday and I couldn't get it to make the sound. Seems to usually make the noise when I'm on a long drive back from cars & coffee and stuck in traffic or on the streets. It definitely happened after I did this fix though I think.

Fred Daniali likes this.