458 Engine Ticking Sound.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Engine Ticking Sound....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Terrible expert, Apr 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Evap purge valve solenoid the noise is normal.

John Bond likes this.
  2. Sultan_458

Sultan_458 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2018
    Uae
    Full Name:
    Sultan
    Are you sure.. I am hearing that noise too.. Its like my car run out of oil.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    sorry, guys.. i know this is an older thread but i wanted to post a video of the sound the one i'm working on makes. i feel it's the same thing as well. two videos; one recorded from the cabin and the other from the firewall side of the engine bay. can anyone confirm this is normal? if it's not normal, has anyone had the same noise and what worked for you to resolve it? thanks!

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sounds very much to me to be a Piston/bore problem. Most likely Piston slap due to ovality in one of the cylinders. Clearly metallic and the noise increases with RPMs. Alternative to that would be a B.E bearing problem. Has the engine ever run low on oil at any stage?

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  6. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    i have a feeling it has run low on oil before. there were two owners before so i can't say for sure. so far we kinda have it down to either a lifter, pulley, or timing chain issue. a bearing would make sense as well.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #32 Shadowfax, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Whats the mileage and when did the noise appear? Was it after heavy or high rpm full load? Also where is the oil level at? Doesnt sound like a timing chain or loose pully noise. If its seen some sustained heavy usage in high temps and the oil was low on the stick then it could be a cylinder or bearing. I think the lifters are hydraulic - or are they solid?

8. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    thanks for the reply... especially as a 458 owner. do you know what the noise originates from though?

9. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    it's a 2011 with about 44k miles. i'm actually looking to purchase it so i can't say if it was after a run at high rpm's. oil level is normal right now but who knows if it always was... and yes, i believe you're right on the lifters being hydraulic. car was previously owned in jersey and socal. sorry for the lack of detail. i'm actually overseas right now and looking into this car with videos and pictures that my friend at home is taking for me. trying to piece as much as i can together while seeing if any other 458 owners have this same sound and have found it to have been either a symptom or just normal.

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes, I had the same phenomenon. I believe I was told it's the lifter.

deli333 likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #36 Shadowfax, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    If the lifters are hydraulic then they really should not make any noise unless there is a fault in the engine such as a blockage in the lifter itself, an excessively worn lifter or worn valve component or, even cam lobe. It really isn't normal at all. Just because the engine can still run doesn't make it normal one bit. If the lifter is solid then much the same applies really. Although if its a shimmed bucket you can recover the clearance using a thicker shim so long as the surrounding components aren't excessively worn (lobe, valve etc). If that was in my 458 engine I'd be selling the car asap if a Ferrari service tech was trying to have me believe that was a "normal" sound I should just put up with. Crazy. To fix this isn't cheap especially if the head has come off - which it probably would.

Listening to your vid I still think it's more than just a noisy bucket. Frankly I don't understand why anyone would even entertain the though of buying a car with a noise in it like that - unless it was very very cheap so to accommodate an engine out heads off situation.

John Bond and Tarek307 like this.
  12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

I don't know much about 458's but i don't think this sound in the video is normal either- if you are looking at buying this particular car i think you you need to get a serious in depth ppi done to figure out whats wrong with it.

John Bond and Shadowfax like this.
  13. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    yup. it's already scheduled to go in on tuesday morning for an inspection with special attention to be paid toward the sound itself.

14. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It's hard to hear from the video, but can that be the direct injection sound which would be totally normal. I'm going to take mine out in a few & will look for it.

John Bond likes this.
  15. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    yes, i read that it could be that as well. thank you for taking the time to listen for it on yours. you're awesome. thank you!!

16. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just took i458 out driving normal followed by some spirited, then brief high speed. After allowing the car to warm up in the driveway there is some tic, tic that goes away with inc. rpm's. The ticking here is defintely the sound made by direct injection system. First ran across this injector stuff on the new MB. I was concerned that it was valve chatter. Talked with service manager etc. drove # similar cars -Same. When the 15 458 was delivered same thing. Maybe if the sound has increased or became increased of late the injectors need cleaned. I just got back from the major & noticed the sound is less in pitch. Don't know if injector cleaning was part of the service. Hope you are using a good brand of gas & esp. a good clean station My sound decreased when service was finished, but did switch from Costco high test to Shell for the trip & currently running Shell. Hopefully this solves the issue for you.

John Bond likes this.
  17. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    i'd give you a bro hug right now if i could #nohomo. i really appreciate you taking it out for a spin and sharing all the info. thank you again! i'll keep everyone posted on the inspection.

docf likes this.
  18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Tappets on the 458 are hydraulic not solid.

PhilNotHill and John Bond like this.
  19. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    hey everyone, so we just got the inspection results back with a confirmed diagnosis of the ticking sound. the car itself had a near perfect PPI. i bought the car. the sound turned out to be the evap canister within the engine bay under the driver-side panel. photo attached.

as explained to me, if a sensor for that goes bad it pulses the injector within the canister to purge constantly thus producing a constant tapping sound. this fault was confirmed when he unplugged it and the sound immediately went away then came back when he plugged it back in. simple and cheap fix with some new parts.

i hope this helps anyone else who runs into this now solved mystery and a big thanks to everyone on this thread for taking the time to respond and even go as far as heading out in their own 458's to help diagnose.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the feedback. Should put that with picture on the archived 458 file on the chat.

John Bond likes this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Thank you!

John Bond likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for the feedback and great news to hear it all worked out fine for you!

John Bond and PhilNotHill like this.
  23. muybien

muybien Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Muy Cicco
    #48 muybien, May 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020

Hello John,
    I had the same ticking noise after tacking my 458 out after 3 years not using it. Ferrari said it is a normal noise, but to me it was very loud and unacceptable.
    Tacking the switch off the noise disappeared.

Do you remember which parts they exchanged?

Thank you for your post. I was going crazy with that noise.

24. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles

yup. there are 2 of them. both are on the driver's side of the engine bay underneath the left side engine bay panel. they're about 35 bucks a piece from ricambi and you can easily do the work yourself within 15 or so minutes and no special tools. you just unplug em and plug in the new ones. they are ferrari part number: 254425 VALVE WASH. see attached photo. you'll want to replace both just in case. 70 bucks total. hope that helps! (you may need some new hose clamps though. depends on how careful you take off the existing ones).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  25. muybien

muybien Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Muy Cicco

Thank you for answer. This helps me a lot and saved my day

AlfistaPortoghese and John Bond like this.