44759 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Supernaut, Mar 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    link goes to:
    This posting has been deleted by its author.

Supernaut likes this.
  3. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Excellent! Because I bought it :) My first Ferrari.

Maybe I'll be able to stop reading the Newman rebuild thread and many other great ones on here and get some sleep someday? Way too excited right now.

4. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Man, you got balls. I'd be scared ****less of a project like that. I barely like buying a 1:18 scale model if it's not sealed in plastic. Amazing.

Supernaut likes this.
  5. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Haha no worries I'm sure it will be on the road sometime in my remaining lifespan. It is a little tiresome, the reaction of all my friends and family who know: Image Unavailable, Please Login

George Vosburgh likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    gradulation ! ! !

Supernaut likes this.
  7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

Congratulations with with your purchase!

Just a heads up that there is an f-chatter that had your car's warranty car and was looking o reunite it with the car:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/i-may-have-your-original-512-bbi-and-512-bb-service-book-warranty-card.263356/#post-139098122

If your car (chassis 44759) does not have the warranty card already, then I would highly recommend contacting this f-chatter to see if he still has it, as finding all these bits is a ton of work.

Cheers,

Sam

Supernaut likes this.
  8. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Thank you Sam! Yes, I saw that very old thread while searching on the chassis number. Very cool! According to the seller it does not now have the card, so I have messaged the person through his personal website. Seems like he has not been active on Fchat for several years. I'm very interested in getting that card. If anyone else has a good way of contacting him, please let me know.

9. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Rolling it down the delivery truck ramp, we heard a bolt drop out. All of the bolts in the chassis dolly were installed without nuts!

Now my work begins. The frame looks really good and solid. After parts inventory, I'll build a stand for the engine and perform compression and leak down tests. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago and stored, but I don't see assembly grease on the camshaft lobes. I'm a novice mechanic but I thought that was standard practice? I gave it a few turns (a Porsche Macan oil filter wrench fits the 512 BBi crank bolt!) and was surprised at how easily it spun. Plenty of resistance, but less than I would have thought. The cam belts were not tensioned fully, and after I turned the motor they did seem to tighten up a bit. The tensioner pistons do appear to be pushing on the pulley bracket, but still the belt has 1/4" of slack (sideways deflection) between pulleys. Normal?

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You're a brave man, John. Best of luck and I'll forward to watching your progress!

Supernaut and 375+ like this.
  11. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Thanks George! Between the several rebuild threads on FC and Scott’s YouTube series I’m feeling good about it. I feel worse when I see the prices of replacement parts in various locations...

12. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Now that the parts are organized and inventoried, the fun begins. I have to paint and sell my 94 corvette first. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That's a wonderful project you just started on and I don't think you will regret it. Take your time and allocate funding enough to ensure a good quality overhaul. Looking forward to follow the progress.

Best, Peter

Supernaut likes this.
  14. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Thanks Peter! Your rebuild thread was very inspiring, with so much craftsmanship. How you rebuilt the front subframe especially gave me some ideas on how to check mine. Even though it looks good I will measure it for straightness before starting reassembly. I have a long list of similar ideas, I will organize and post a summary here for criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Hahahahahaha