430 won't go into reverse when car gets hot! | FerrariChat

430 won't go into reverse when car gets hot!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Chadwick88, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chadwick88

Chadwick88 Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Chadwick S
    I have two ferraris one of them my 430 I have owned for 2 years and for the past 1.5 years it’s been in MULTIPLE shops for one main reason… The reverse won’t work, when the car gets hot. I have seen other people have had the same issue on these threads but no one ever really talks solutions and mainly I have seen it with 360s. I have paid for new clutch, pilot bearing, I have had Ferrari willsonville check the point of initial slippage, scan the car multiple times, drive it for hours I could come up with a list of other things they replaced but here is my question. I here it trying to go into gear it makes a clicking sound like it wants to go in. Do any of you off the bat have any suggestions or advise I am 37k in the hole trying to fix this problem and the car typically doesn’t do it when they have it at the dealer or other shops I have taken it to they always tell me “seems like it’s working fine” I got it to do it once for botta Motoworks but they couldn’t get it to happen again after 5 - 10 mins of cooling it goes back to normal. Any suggestion please I am at my whits end!

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Considering you been to a few places i will just assume all these things were done but i will suggest

Pull codes ..what were they
    Bleed system correct way ..using actuator screws
    Check pis vs output shaft revolutions using scan tool
    Check speed sensor
    Check/ replace pententiometers if codes justify them to be changed
    See if clutch is almost worn down all the way ..visual thru inspection gate
    Using scan tool ..monitor requested and actual gate changes .. parameters in scan tool
    Monitor pressures in scan tool
    Monitor min and max actuator movements ..in range or not
    Relearn process using scan tool

My first step would be pull codes after visually checking clutch
    Make note ofall min and max gate positions if actuator
    Run relearn ..check errors again
    When problem occurs connect scan tool and print out all parameters in tcu
    Compare to cold or reference car

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Based on the above you may come to the conclusion of a faulty solenoid valve as well as a faulty actuator

I would have to go back to manual to see which EV controls reverse and if common with another gear

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I believe EV5 is used for reverse only.

5. Chadwick88

Chadwick88 Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Chadwick S
    Thank you all for your input I am going to Ferrari again Monday and will touch base with them on all your input I felt defeated and about to get rid of it. I have a 488 as well but the 430 is sentimental to me it was my dream car when I was in college and hope to keep it forever it’s low miles red and mint condition 2 owners. Guess we will see what happens wish me luck

Qavion likes this.
  6. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Clutch postition sensor need to be reset correctly

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    For the amount of money you've spent chasing this F1 problem, you could have converted it to manual. Maybe you should do that now.

armedferret likes this.
  8. Chadwick88

Chadwick88 Rookie

Feb 8, 2019
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Chadwick S
    I am kicking myself for not doing that… I was going to do that originally.

9. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    #9 Daryl Zernick, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2021
    I have this exact problem on my 2008 430 Spider. My suspicion is the PIS needs to be adjusted. Regardless of my suspicions, I’m pretty sure the devil will be detected in the details of some very skilled ECU super sleuths which is why I am having these guys exotic-power/ remotely diagnose, set, and reset things as needed. If you watched many of the YouTube channel videos, you will see Josh from Exotic Power doing most of the highly technical work. The cost for this service is essentially shipping costs + $175 an hour, expecting to utilize 2 hours for a full diagnostic. There is a $2500 deposit required which will be refunded minus the costs when the scan tool is returned. I will let you know how it turns out.

10. Hawaii Brit

Hawaii Brit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    I had this on my 07. The actuator needed to be rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Try putting it in first and then pull the lever for reverse (without going into neutral) This usually sorts the issue, but it isn’t a permanent fix. I would check all the solenoids.

12. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I used to shift from neutral to reverse, every now and then it wouldn’t want to go. Now I always shift from first gear to reverse, never had a problem since.

RandyMullinsWv likes this.
  13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had the same problem with my 360 Spider. Readjusting the PIS with the engine hot fixes it.

RandyMullinsWv and John_K_348 like this.
  14. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    I'm hoping I find the same simple problem!!

John_K_348 likes this.
  15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I should clarify... adjust the PIS while the transaxle is hot. For me, it's a ten-twenty miles drive.

16. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    So, it’s the actuator. Josh with Exotic Power was able to eliminate all other possible issues through his remote diagnostics. I also have 18% life left on the clutch. Therefore, I will do the actuator rebuild when I get the clutch replaced as this will save about $1,500 in labor by doing both at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qavion likes this.
  17. Hawaii Brit

Hawaii Brit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    GTE engineering did an awesome job rebuilding my actuator

Daryl Zernick likes this.
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I understand the diagnosis was done ..but are we sure the oentiometer are ok ..did he follow my post above

19. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    How long did it take for GTE to rebuild the actuator and how much did they charge?

20. Hawaii Brit

Hawaii Brit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Took around 2 weeks once they received it. I’ll check my receipt for fee. They upgrade the kit too. Serkan was very helpful and appears to be in high demand

21. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Thank you. I'm interested in this very much. I'm at the point where I'm thinking F it with the F1 and going to do a conversion to a gated 6. My car only has 15k miles and I really don't think I should be having these problems so I'm trying to weigh whether it makes sense to keep the FI or go gated 6.

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look at SSAUTOTECH.co.uk. They do an actuator rebuild for £1815 , including upgraded parts etc

23. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Yeah, at that price plus a new clutch eventually, is just pushing me closer to doing a conversion. Frankly, I don't care to shift gears like a lot of people, but seems to me there are just too many parts to the F1 system that will fail for it to make long term sense to stick with the F1.

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you have a look at the site they have a test rig to see if it needs fixing.

25. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    The potentiometers have to be pinned out manually with a DVM, they cannot be checked via the scan tool unfortunately. When I get the clutch done, I'll have those checked first before rebuilding the actuator. Thanks man!